• 2 Post By kingstrider
  • 1 Post By MarlinManCB45/70
  • 4 Post By Mike 2010
  • 3 Post By OLSKOOL
  • 1 Post By MarlinManCB45/70
  • 2 Post By MarlinManCB45/70

Thread: my mix for copper fouling

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #

my mix for copper fouling

when I need to get copper fouling out I use a mix of 100% janitorial strength ammonia mixed 50/50 with hoppes #9 it's my own formula of butches bore shine ect. ect. and it works. when done I swab the bore with rem. oil the dray patch then another light coat of rem. oil. I have been using this for years with no problem at all only copper free bores. has anyone else done this?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Never heard of that but will have to try it. One of the cleaners I have is heavily ammonia based. I found the best solution was to use a little piece of chore boy copper pad.
    OLSKOOL and Gareth Holland like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    FWIW ammonia is very bad for your lungs, so be sure you're outdoors when using it.
    OLSKOOL likes this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've read that some AR 15 owners lube their ARs with 25/75 Hoppes bore cleaner and lube oil (respectively)of their choice to help keep the carbon from building up so bad , and making the BCG and receiver easier to clean.

Be careful with that ammonia, as too much ammonia use can be detrimental to the bore/bore metal, or so I've read,
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I saw an email today a guy was trying to clean his work bench top/ metal of sticky stains, break cleaner did nothing. He poured some monster drink on the top it took all the gunk off, & folks drink this stuff!!!
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I here people squall and carry on about ammonia being horrible and destroying barrels! I saw one time where I think it shilen barrel company did a test and left an ammonia bore cleaner in a barrel for a time period like a week or so with no ill effects at all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Talk about monster drink cleaning things what about what Coca Cola does to a rusty surface.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2010 View Post
    I saw an email today a guy was trying to clean his work bench top/ metal of sticky stains, break cleaner did nothing. He poured some monster drink on the top it took all the gunk off, & folks drink this stuff!!!
    you can use Coca Cola to free stuck rusted piston rings and the piston/s in the/all the cylinders of an engine when they've rusted from exposure to the elements.(as in JY) Remove head and pour into cylinder/onyo piston.

Yep it'll work. Although the cylinder will likely need refinishing/reboring due to pitting by the rust.
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    I here people squall and carry on about ammonia being horrible and destroying barrels! I saw one time where I think it shilen barrel company did a test and left an ammonia bore cleaner in a barrel for a time period like a week or so with no ill effects at all.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    it occurs over time according to what Iread. IINM the article has been posted in a thread on MO somewhere .IIRC the ammonia pits the metalor causes "crazing"(forget which , might be both?) overtime when used too often/unneccesarily. It gets into the pores of metal tyo do ........
    M1Riflenut and Gareth Holland like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    you can use Coca Cola to free stuck rusted piston rings and the piston/s in the/all the cylinders of an engine when they've rusted from exposure to the elements.(as in JY) Remove head and pour into cylinder/onyo piston.

Yep it'll work. Although the cylinder will likely need refinishing/reboring due to pitting by the rust.
    It will also on lock stuck shotgun choke tubes so I am told.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links