Question about the HENRY Golden Boy in 22lr please~~~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question about the HENRY Golden Boy in 22lr please~~~

Contributing Member
    Member #

Question about the HENRY Golden Boy in 22lr please~~~

Hello again,

Pardon me if this has been asked somewhere else before.

I am deciding on which HENRY that I want to buy and I have to get to the store to see a better selection... again. Western Montana stores do not have a huge selection of Henry rifles all of the time.

I have kind of decided on the Golden Boy but I am NOT positive if that will be the Henry for me.

Is the GOLDEN BOY with the brass receiver just as strong of a receiver as the other 22lr blued receiver ones? Is there steel under the brass material or how is that made?

I did not write to Mr. I. about this question but I have written to him before in the past and he answered some of my questions. I had another email and ISP at the time too. That was before I got moved into my new built house.

I am looking at the HENRY website too. Maybe I am missing something here or I am just dense. He sent a Henry catalog to me and I put that in a 'safe place' but now I can't find it! I thought that I put it in my file cabinet with my rifle range and other gun related paper material. I think that I took it out to drool over it and it may be in another place now! Grin.

I have shot a Golden Boy in the past in 22lr as I have mentioned on other forums in the past and here at M.O. at some of our shooting events. The last time that I shot one was several years ago. It was a fantastic rifle. I thought that it was very, very nice!

I have never shot the blued receiver ones or the other calibers by Henry either.

I am kind of drooling over a 357Magnum and 45Colt one too. You did not hear me say that though even though we have Ruger Blackhawks here that would work with those calibers. I like matching calibers as some of you who know me may remember.

Anyway... I mainly want a 22lr Henry. Thank you!

I do not use scopes ever. So I will not need to deal with that issue on any rifle.

I wear eyeglasses and use iron sights so to speak.

I never owned a Henry firearm before either.

Thank you again.
    Catherine

Account Closed

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Catherine,
    We have both the Frontier model and a GoldenBoy both in 22 LR. They are both great rifles but the stock design is definitely different. The GoldenBoy has more drop in the stock and also the buttstock is wider across the butt plate. My understanding is that the receivers on both guns are some sort of aluminum alloy with some kind of coating (I think they call the GoldenBoy finish Brasslite.). I coated everything on mine with Johnson's Paste Wax. Hey any gun is gonna get a scratch at some point. The sights on both rifles are the same. Henry customer service is GREAT. If you're interested, there's a GoldenBoy in a hardware store here in TX that has the best wood I've ever seen -- get you pics if you would like. I know bjm has a base model Henry that has great wood. You'll enjoy your Henry -- my wife likes hers (the GoldenBoy) and says it fits a woman's physique better than the Frontier! Good luck -- pm me with questions or just post 'em here. I care, John
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Site Contributor Banned
    Member #
    Yep , just a brass colored cover made of zink,magn,alum,brass .

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information.

Papa, I will get it locally but I do appreciate your offer. Thank you.

Take care!
    Catherine

Account Closed

Member #
    Catherine -

One thing to consider.... If you ever want to put a Williams peep site on the rifle, the H001T (Frontier model) will accept the FP-GR peep on the dovetail, whereas the Golden Boy will not. You'd have to drill/tap the tang on the Golden Boy and put a tang mounted sight on it.

Also, there are quite a few folks over on the RimfireCentral.com forum that have stripped the powder coating off of the Frontier's cover and either polished or coated them with a different treatment, resulting in some very personalized/unique looking rifles. A couple have come up with a "case hardened look" that I plan on doing with my Frontier eventually. Here's my favorite:

693.jpg

Here's a link to the thread about the one above:
    Tried the case hardened look (pic heavy) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Here's one of the original links on HOW to do it.... unfortunately, the photo links have expired... (there were some NICE examples):
    Color Case Hardened Henry Receiver ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

my .02,

-Tim
    Last edited by Tim Lee; 11-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Tim,

Nice rifle! Thank you.
    Catherine

Account Closed

Site Contributor Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Hello Catherine,

Andy with Skinner Sights www.skinnersights.com here. I've been making a lot of sights for Henry customers and they seem very happy with their rifles! So I would have a rifle for testing, I bought one of the H001 Youth models and its been VERY fun to shoot. (With Skinner Sights of course) I'd guess I've put 500 rounds through this gun without a single hitch. It feeds well, shoots well, has nice wood to metal fit, and yes, its sort of a painted/powder coated type finish.

Right now we are selling a lot of Barrel mounted peep sights for the Henry's, I have also developed (and shipped about 10) Henry receiver mounted sights that fit on the rimfire dovetail grooves atop the receiver. Those should be for sale via our website sometime in December. If you send me an Email I could notify you when they are available. Please put Henry Rimfire Peep Sight in the subject line.

As noted above, the Golden Boys have the traditional stock design and drop of the 1860 Henry, its kinda fun... The H001 models are more conventionally stocked (like a Marlin 39)

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks Catherine,

ANDY
    "The nicest folks I ever meet are fellow shooters..."
    SKINNER SIGHTS
    Building sturdy, attractive, Peep/Aperture sights and other accessories for your rifles. Please visit us at www.skinnersights.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    Hello Catherine,

Andy with Skinner Sights www.skinnersights.com here. I've been making a lot of sights for Henry customers and they seem very happy with their rifles! So I would have a rifle for testing, I bought one of the H001 Youth models and its been VERY fun to shoot. (With Skinner Sights of course) I'd guess I've put 500 rounds through this gun without a single hitch. It feeds well, shoots well, has nice wood to metal fit, and yes, its sort of a painted/powder coated type finish.

Right now we are selling a lot of Barrel mounted peep sights for the Henry's, I have also developed (and shipped about 10) Henry receiver mounted sights that fit on the rimfire dovetail grooves atop the receiver. Those should be for sale via our website sometime in December. If you send me an Email I could notify you when they are available. Please put Henry Rimfire Peep Sight in the subject line.

As noted above, the Golden Boys have the traditional stock design and drop of the 1860 Henry, its kinda fun... The H001 models are more conventionally stocked (like a Marlin 39)

Thanks Catherine,

ANDY
    I am very interested too in a receiver mounted peep sight for my Frontier, especially a nice looking Skinner that was made to fit the Henry, and not something I have to file on like some of the other brands. I will keep checking on the Skinner web site for availability.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The Henry .22's are the same design as the old Erma 22 lever guns, made in West Germany and sold by Iver Johnson. I've had one of these IJ lever guns for many years. I replaced the lousy varnished hardwood stocks on it with Henry walnut, it was a direct bolt on.

I still own the IJ, and have added a GOlden Boy for me, and a youth model Henry for my grandson. These are both great guns but there are some differences beyond the obvious. Like Papajohn said, there is a big difference in the stocks. The Golden Boy has a lot more drop than the standard Henry. The standard stock suits me better. Also the sights are different. The Golden Boy uses a brass bead front sight with a semi buckhorn rear. The standard Henry uses Patridge sights like you would find on most revolvers. The standard Henry is also very light and a lot easier to carry around than the heavier Golden Boy.

If you're wanting a light handy little 22 carbine, check out the Henry youth model. That's what I bought for my grandson and I like it so well I may buy another one for myself.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    Hello Catherine,

Thanks Catherine,

ANDY
    Andy,

Thank you very much for the information!

Take care.
    Catherine

Account Closed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links