Not Sending My Gun Back To Henry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Not Sending My Gun Back To Henry

Wrangler
    Member #

Not Sending My Gun Back To Henry

Just got my Henry Big Boy Color Cased 44 mag. one week ago.They had to order it as I could find none at all in my Virginia Stores after many phone calls.So the Gun they had shipped in from their supplier the Big Boy is awesome with the Wood it has on.The grain and the finish is beautiful and has a great high gloss bluing job on it.
    The action works great and I have not yet Oiled it down just removed most of the shipping grease.What I did see was the front forend had some movement but not much.But I just sold a Remington pump 7600 and thats what I did not like was the forend moving but a pump is suppose to move.I love my 870 Remington pump shotgun and that does not bother me at all but it does in a Rifle when I am trying to shoot a great shot at a Bear or Deer.
    So I guess my gun was sitting in a very dry storage area with little humidity.After only one week my Henry is as tight as it can be because moisture has gotten in the wood and no more movement at all.Its been raining a lot in Virginia and my gun is sitting beside my Safe as I have been wiping the grease off.
    After many Google searches for loose forends with many coming back to this Forum in older questions it is a very common problem and the answer was usually the Humidity that gets in Wood versus a dry climate like Arizona.Virginia has a good amount of moisture in the air for sure.
    What really helped was a article I read by Revolverguy.com.He shot a Henry Big Boy 357 over 510 times in 5 different shooting Sessions.I think it was 2015 when the Big Boy just came out.
    Anyway his forearm also loosened up.His Lever got loose-The Barrel Band got loose-The rear stock also loosened up.So of course to solve the problem he Loctited them and let the Screws dry and it helped tremendously.
    Also what I am going to do from a Suggestion on this forum is he put a small amount of Black Silicone in the Cracks he saw where the Forend meets the metal receiver.He said after letting it dry several days it completely stopped all movement for good.And he used such a small amount of Silicone it can not even be seen.
    So I ordered a Tube of Black Permatex Silicone that I will fill in two very small voids that I see with my flashlight between the Wood and Receiver with a very small metal applicator I have.Before I use the Silicone I am going to take all the Screws that loosened up in the 500 round test a put a small drop of Red loctite on them especially the Forearm Screws.Red Loctite can be broken loose I used it for 27 years at my Job.If it gets tough to remove just apply Heat to the Screw for a few minutes.
    The article by Revolverguy.com on the Big Boy is a good Read.Also if you all have not watched 22 Plinkster his Video of the plant Tour in Rice Lake,Wisconsion where they build the Big Boy Steel guns at its a great Video!
    And in my research Henry and Marlin both have problems with the Forearms gettting loose a lot of it due to Humidity and a few with poor workmanship on the gun itself.
    So I will Loctite all my screws and apply the Silicone where needed.I only saw about a .020 gap with my light at the most.Then I can mount my Leupold scope and do some shooting if the Rain will just stop.
    But I have no regret the Henry for me was the Best Choice and some day I will buy another JM made Marlin in 30-30 but we do have one of them now I gave to my Boy.Thanks for all the help Guys!
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

GFK
    Gunfighter
    Member #
    Enjoy your Henry. The wood is what cause my attention as well. I have a 2015 H009 that I bought new in 2017, and I have not had any loosing issues. Yet, I have only shot about 150 or so rounds through it. But, I am happy with it so far. I added a Cloverleaf rear peep sight, and it works well out to 100 yards. So, it is good to go. Happy shooting!
    vaslugger and Travlin like this.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I had to glass bed my bolt actions due to humidity changes when bolt actions came with walnut stocks. Henry may be using wood straight out of the kiln, and on a small forearm piece will be pretty dry and soak up more moisture than a thicker piece. They may make allowances for that. Loose forearms on a lever are not that bad.

DEP
    vaslugger and Sambane like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've never felt the need to go past blue loctite other than the pinion gear bolt in some 650 hp outdrives.
    rifrench, vaslugger, M700 and 1 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I think that is a great plan. Henry Big Boys are notorious for the fore stock loosening up. I hate sending guns back but if I have to at least Henry is fast at returning them and they usually fix the problem the first time.
    vaslugger, Travlin and Sambane like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Good plan except use Blue Loctitie. You are dealing with soft head gun screws not hardened bolts with hex heads etc. I have NEVER seen Red Loctite removed without heat.
    rifrench, vaslugger and Sambane like this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    The permatex keeps out rain. dirt SWEAT. etc and it gives. no affect on zero.
    vaslugger and Sambane like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Told ya you'd like it!! Enjoy, and let's see some pics.
    Sambane and vaslugger like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!Yea I might use the Blue Loctite instead.I worked for Northrop Grumman and about 60 percent of what we sold went to the military and the other went to commercial.I put in 250 or more screws and bolts almost daily and we loctited many of them and even torqued them to Specification according to the Blueprint.
    Probably what I will do is use alcohol to clean the screws of oil and apply Primer T and then a drop of loctite wiping off any excess then install them.What I like about Primer T is it drys with the Loctite in about 1 Hour instead of 2 or 3 days with just loctite.I hate to disassemble something 5 days later and the loctite is still wet.
    In a pinch I have used clear fingernail polish it works real well and even a little Silicone on threads does the Job to secure it from backing out.I hate a loose Screw on something I have put together.Probably my background I was an Inspector for 11 years and then transferred to assy technician for 16 more years.I worked in the machine shop for 2 years also there that was a lot to learn but had a good bunch of guys to work with and made it enjoyable.
    Yeah I really try Hard to take care of my Guns to keep them like new even thou I take them in the mountains those scratches on the Wood are battle Scars from a good Hunt.I have put more little dings on them getting them out of the Safe or the Bronco early in the morning when its still very dark than when walking in the mountains it seems.
    Using the Google search engine really helps find past answers out there that solutions have already been found to be successful.Thanks to this Forum it really helped me pick the Henry and I love the Octagon barrel it just looks old School and it should help accuracy a lot as its a stiffer piece of machined Steel with a great blue Job on it.
    Oh if you know when installing a Scope Base on the Henry Big Boy Steel what is the Torque the Screws can be tightened to on the Rifle Barrel.I have a good inch ounce torque wrench I use when doing it.I have a habit of going to tight the reason I bought my torque wrench.Thanks Again!!
    94win30wcf and Sambane like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Oh bdbrown you snuck one in ahead of me!I took plenty of pictures of my gun and wanted to post them.But it definitely is not like Facebook that is easy to post pictures!Here it seems really hard to put them up wish it was as easy as Facebook!!
    Scorpiusb, Sambane and bdbrown66 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links