How good is the 44 magnum for Deer Hunting
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: How good is the 44 magnum for Deer Hunting

Wrangler
    Member #

How good is the 44 magnum for Deer Hunting

I said I was going to get the Henry Color Case Hardened in 30-30.It indeed is a heavy gun at 8.6 pounds but so beautiful.So been looking at the Big Boy Carbine and its only 7.1 pounds with the Octagon barrel.Just never killed a Whitetail or Bear with one.Had a Marlin 44 for a few years and shot at a huge Buck but hit a limb I did not see and deflected.One of the biggest bucks I ever shot at but thats Hunting.I am pretty sure now about the Big Boy in 44 mag based on the weight.When I get it will either shoot the Hornady 240 garain XTP or the Barnes 225 grain in it.Shot many deer with the Barnes in a 12 gauge slug gun and most went DRT or now more than 10 yards.Internal damage with the Barnes was fantastic.Been watching a lot of 44 mag videos very helpful for sure.The only one that went DRT was shot with a Barnes 225 grain.The slug gun Barnes always impressed me with those six petals that open up and cut just like a Broadhead.Also I do love the Hornady XTP shoot them now in my muzzleloader in a Sabot.Awesome load and leave a good Blood trail.I have to shoot something that anchors a deer fast because if he crosses the Creek the other landowner hates Hunters and thats my problem.I have 60 acres of private property and loaded with deer here in Virginia.Sad some people just dislike Hunters so much!So any feedback at all on your Whitetail experiences is great and very much appreciated!Those Henrys have to be the best looking Lever Gun made today!
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Pics when you get it!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    A 44mag will kill anything a 30-30 will other than the extreme limits of the 30-30. Inside of 125yds I would pick 44mag over the 30-30 any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    vaslugger,

For out to 100 yards the 44 mag is in it's wheelhouse. If you hunt over ground with 200 yard shots, the 30 WCF will serve you better. Out to 100 yards there is not a lot of difference in the two. If you reload, you can make both perform better than factor ammo.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus every hyphenated rifle cartridge I have shot.
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Contributing Member
    Member #
    .44 Mag is perfect for ranges typically found in the majority of Florida. Many deer are smallish and ranges here in central Florida rarely exceed 100 yards. Next to a Marlin 1894 my money would go for a Ruger .44 Magnum semi auto with a low power low mounted scope. (I've had 3 through the years and only one would function with heavy reloads or factory)

AC
    rob42049 and airwinky like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have been hunting since age 10.Killed my first 8 pointer when I was just 12 with my uncle Phil.In my lifetime I have shot over 90 all legal Whitetail deer Bucks and Does and 2 Bears.Not once have I ever shot over 90 yards.I hunt mountains or Hilly Farms that are always dense.Once I know where I am sitting I will take my cutters and cut out at least 2 good shooting lanes.I love to rattle and have had really good success with it over the years!Shot my biggest Buck ever rattling here in Virginia and grunting in combination with it.Prior to the Rut makes for an exciting day in the woods.Have had them come walking in or running it.And also snuck up behind me and not make a sound.Its about a good 2 week period for me rattling.So that 44 mag should put in a nice hole for a blood trailing if necessary and we know all deer dont DRT so a blood trail is very important to me in thick river bottoms!Thank you all for the feedback keep it coming!I will mount a low power scope on it to help me see those limbs that have a way of deflecting bullets.Plus I am not getting any younger even though I have good eyesight now we know how our eyes change over time.
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I’m a bit partial to 44mag rifles but I’ve had awesome luck with them on critters.
    I’ve got a good mess of them.
    Henry
    Rossi
    marlin
    Ruger auto
    Ruger auto
    Ruger 77/44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Deer ain't armor plated and a 44 can take down bears.
    Try you a good WFN or LFN cast boolit - I cast and shoot a 265 grain boolit that does pretty good.
    Accurate mold 43-265F.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Shot 3 Iowa does with my 44 Henry BBS this year. As has been said 100 or less it does the job well!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I would definitely not be afraid to take a .44Mag deer hunting, given the right shot and circumstances. On the northern plains, shots tend to be further than 100 yards but when hunting brush, tree groves, or from a good stand set-up, I would prefer to have (and do carry) one of my .44's - those might include a Henry, Marlin, Ruger 96 lever and Ruger .44 auto!! I have a good friend who also uses his Henry .44 for his deer rifle when hunting brush and river bottoms. Good luck with your rifle and good hunting!
    vaslugger and rob42049 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links