How good is the 44 magnum for Deer Hunting - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: How good is the 44 magnum for Deer Hunting

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I've seen a hundred or so of those Ruger 44 magnum carbines for sale at gun shops all around the New England area. Seems that they were a very popular hunting rifle .
    My state requires shotgun only for deer ....so not so much here but up in Vermont, New hampshire, Maine........seen them alot.
    vaslugger likes this.
    Camp 9 Carbine
    Ruger Police Carbine 40S&W
    Ruger P944DAO
    Mini-14 223/5.56
    Glock26
    Bodyguard 380

Wrangler
    Member #
    Just want to Thank All that posted about the great 44 magnum!Yes as some noted the 270 and 25-06 are Bang Flop guns for sure!I shot half of my Whitetails with a Model 700 BDL in 270 using a 150 grain Core Lokt.So many of them hit the ground at the Crack of the gun for sure one awesome caliber!That is one gun that I still regret selling to this day!That gun should have stayed in my Safe to this day.Had a 3x9 Leupold scope on it was one of my favorites for sure!That gun kept my freezer full year after year with Venison.As to my pump 7600 in 25-06 it is a nice gun for sure.What I dont like about it is that it has a Laminated Stock on it in Blue Gray Color.If it was Walnut I would keep it for sure!I have priced the Remington Walnut Butt Stock and Fore End and they go for about 400.00 for both total.And yes I bought it for the Caliber for sure!Oh bdbrown66 that was one nice Buck you shot last season!!MidwayUSA has 63 different Loads to choose from a far cry from back in the early Seventies.I will shoot either the Hornady 240 grain XTP or the awesome Barnes in 225 grain VOR TX bullet.Also am very impressed with the Buffalo Bore 44 mag +P load 240 grain Deer Grenade.They list it at 1871 FPS in a 16 1/2 inch Barrel.I called Henry and they said it handles +P 44 mag loads easily.Been watching Paul Harrell on Youtube shows a Comparison between the 30-30 and the 44 Magnum Rifle and he has some very Impressive Videos on both of those Calibers for sure.And Hickok45 shows some great Shooting in the Marlin 44 mag rifle.When you see a 12 Inch Solid Cinderblock blown in two at 80 yards it devasted that Cinderblock!Cant wait to buy mine and do some Shooting with the Cheap Stuff and get it Zeroed with the good Ammo for our Virginia deer Season.Oh forgot to mention about 10 years or around there I shot a Big Buck with a 50 Caliber muzzleloader with a Sabot with the Hornady 240 XTP bullet.The Buck went down at the Shot with the Hornady XTP bullet.He got back up and stopped 2 or 3 times and when he stopped there was a Huge Blood Spot under him each time.He made a Circle and Crossed the Creek and went back on the Neighbors land that disliked Hunters so much.I saw the Buck fall down and after about 5 minutes he was dead.But my Land Owner asked me to never go over there as she wanted no quarrel with him so I did not go get him.The other Land Owner cut his Rack Off and put it on a Picnic Table down by the Creek where I could see it!It was a 10 pointer with a Solid 20 inch Spread and I was ticked about it!But I respected my Land Owner wishes and never went over there to get it or the Buck when he went down.I lost that Buck but at least I can still hunt up there.This is why I will Shoot the Round that anchors them the Fastest!!
    bdbrown66 and Timrekah1 like this.
    The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.
    Psalm 23:1

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vaslugger View Post
    Just want to Thank All that posted about the great 44 magnum!Yes as some noted the 270 and 25-06 are Bang Flop guns for sure!I shot half of my Whitetails with a Model 700 BDL in 270 using a 150 grain Core Lokt.So many of them hit the ground at the Crack of the gun for sure one awesome caliber!That is one gun that I still regret selling to this day!That gun should have stayed in my Safe to this day.Had a 3x9 Leupold scope on it was one of my favorites for sure!That gun kept my freezer full year after year with Venison.As to my pump 7600 in 25-06 it is a nice gun for sure.What I dont like about it is that it has a Laminated Stock on it in Blue Gray Color.If it was Walnut I would keep it for sure!I have priced the Remington Walnut Butt Stock and Fore End and they go for about 400.00 for both total.And yes I bought it for the Caliber for sure!Oh bdbrown66 that was one nice Buck you shot last season!!MidwayUSA has 63 different Loads to choose from a far cry from back in the early Seventies.I will shoot either the Hornady 240 grain XTP or the awesome Barnes in 225 grain VOR TX bullet.Also am very impressed with the Buffalo Bore 44 mag +P load 240 grain Deer Grenade.They list it at 1871 FPS in a 16 1/2 inch Barrel.I called Henry and they said it handles +P 44 mag loads easily.Been watching Paul Harrell on Youtube shows a Comparison between the 30-30 and the 44 Magnum Rifle and he has some very Impressive Videos on both of those Calibers for sure.And Hickok45 shows some great Shooting in the Marlin 44 mag rifle.When you see a 12 Inch Solid Cinderblock blown in two at 80 yards it devasted that Cinderblock!Cant wait to buy mine and do some Shooting with the Cheap Stuff and get it Zeroed with the good Ammo for our Virginia deer Season.Oh forgot to mention about 10 years or around there I shot a Big Buck with a 50 Caliber muzzleloader with a Sabot with the Hornady 240 XTP bullet.The Buck went down at the Shot with the Hornady XTP bullet.He got back up and stopped 2 or 3 times and when he stopped there was a Huge Blood Spot under him each time.He made a Circle and Crossed the Creek and went back on the Neighbors land that disliked Hunters so much.I saw the Buck fall down and after about 5 minutes he was dead.But my Land Owner asked me to never go over there as she wanted no quarrel with him so I did not go get him.The other Land Owner cut his Rack Off and put it on a Picnic Table down by the Creek where I could see it!It was a 10 pointer with a Solid 20 inch Spread and I was ticked about it!But I respected my Land Owner wishes and never went over there to get it or the Buck when he went down.I lost that Buck but at least I can still hunt up there.This is why I will Shoot the Round that anchors them the Fastest!!
    Thanks for your comprehensive update! Unfortunate for your neighbor's attitude. Does your state not have a right of retrieval law or provision in its proclamation? Here, you have a legal right to retrieve game that was legally taken on land where you had a lawful right to hunt. If land is posted and the landowner refuses to allow you on his land to retrieve game, a call to a warden would solve that problem. While I do understand the delicate nature of these kinds of things, I would have made a call. I am wondering if the neighbor or land owner had an appropriate tag for the deer that wandered on to their land as a wounded animal? It is fairly certain that if either of them did not have an appropriate tag that they would have had a hard time explaining to a Warden how they happened to possess the antlers or the carcass.
    Sort of wishing I lived closer, I would try to talk you out of your 760! (but only if my wife let me- lol)
    Timrekah1

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Timrekah1-Thanks for your reply about the Land I hunt on.In Virginia we do have the right to retrieve our deer as long as we notify the Landowner first.If they disagree then the Game Warden will go with us to claim our wounded big game be it a Bear or a Deer.I talked to my friend the Landowner and she was glad I did not pursue my downed Buck.She is an older lady and just wants to always get along with her neighbors which I fully understand.Of course I wanted that Buck he was for sure a Buck to be mounted but am glad I respected her request and have been Hunting Free over 20 years as she wont let me help her financially to show my appreciation to Hunt there.Yea if I post a picture of my 7600 you really will want it.Its a beautiful gun and only one Box of Ammo shot from it.With a 3x9 Burris Fullfield Scope and DNZ Gamereaper mounts it looks great.For 650.00 its yours but I live in Virginia.My son wants me to keep it but I have to many guns as it is now.I gave him when he was 12 a 1970 Anniversary Marlin in 30-30 that he has a Leupold 2x7 Scope on it.So once I get my Henry we will both be Hunting with Lever Actions as I want to stick with Lever actions the rest of my Hunting days just enjoy how easy they carry and how fast they cycle when needed.If not for having neck surgery I would have never sold my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 maybe the Best Bear and Whitetail gun I ever carried in the mountains and so accurate with that 300 grain Winchester Ammo I used in the Gun!And for backup am buying a Slug Barrel for my Remington Magnum 870 High Grade in 20 gauge with a Cantilever barrel to mount either a Leupold Red Dot or a Leupold Scope on it.So either a 44 Mag or a 20 gauge Slug Gun will be my Woods gun to Whitetail Hunt with in Virginia.Hard to beat a 20 gauge Sabot on a Big Buck with a fast follow up Shot if Needed.
    Timrekah1 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vaslugger View Post
    Timrekah1-Thanks for your reply about the Land I hunt on.In Virginia we do have the right to retrieve our deer as long as we notify the Landowner first.If they disagree then the Game Warden will go with us to claim our wounded big game be it a Bear or a Deer.I talked to my friend the Landowner and she was glad I did not pursue my downed Buck.She is an older lady and just wants to always get along with her neighbors which I fully understand.Of course I wanted that Buck he was for sure a Buck to be mounted but am glad I respected her request and have been Hunting Free over 20 years as she wont let me help her financially to show my appreciation to Hunt there.Yea if I post a picture of my 7600 you really will want it.Its a beautiful gun and only one Box of Ammo shot from it.With a 3x9 Burris Fullfield Scope and DNZ Gamereaper mounts it looks great.For 650.00 its yours but I live in Virginia.My son wants me to keep it but I have to many guns as it is now.I gave him when he was 12 a 1970 Anniversary Marlin in 30-30 that he has a Leupold 2x7 Scope on it.So once I get my Henry we will both be Hunting with Lever Actions as I want to stick with Lever actions the rest of my Hunting days just enjoy how easy they carry and how fast they cycle when needed.If not for having neck surgery I would have never sold my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 maybe the Best Bear and Whitetail gun I ever carried in the mountains and so accurate with that 300 grain Winchester Ammo I used in the Gun!And for backup am buying a Slug Barrel for my Remington Magnum 870 High Grade in 20 gauge with a Cantilever barrel to mount either a Leupold Red Dot or a Leupold Scope on it.So either a 44 Mag or a 20 gauge Slug Gun will be my Woods gun to Whitetail Hunt with in Virginia.Hard to beat a 20 gauge Sabot on a Big Buck with a fast follow up Shot if Needed.
    I respect your decision making in this situation 100%. You have a great arrangement going with a person with whom you have mutual respect. As for the other individual, you can't fix ignorance or behavior of those who don't want to be fixed! I sent you a private message by the way. Thanks - Timrekah1
    vaslugger likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My son shot this 10pt with a Ruger 44 Carbine after a neighbor wounded it with a .308. The 44 anchored the buck at about 80 yards.
    BC77D77C-5FB7-4EC9-BDF5-3B5A9476C8B7.jpegYou can see the big 44 hole to the right of the rifle. Shot placement is everything.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Danee96-Thanks for the picture and the story!That was a real nice Buck that he shot with the Ruger 44 magnum!

Deadeye
    Member #
    While lever guns in 44 are nice, you can’t find a lighter hunting gun than the Ruger 77/44. They will wallop you with heavy loads, they are just so skinny they are a joy to carry in the woods.
    Timrekah1 and vaslugger like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Shoot for 5 straight years (2012-2016) I hunted with a 44 mag and a muzzle loader. Was very successful.
    Timrekah1 and vaslugger like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I even got one or two with a 44 mag Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. At one time the 44 pistols were considered a pretty whomping game getter. But for a rifle you had to have a 300 magnum.

DEP
    vaslugger likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links