Like Tree290Likes

Thread: Henry loading gate lever actions

Contributing Member
    Member #
    We might just have to rename the forum to "JM Marlin and Henry Owners"

AC

Deadeye
    Member #
    I like blued and I like the longer barrel and I also like 444... but I’d take a 35... I’ll be looking at them
    miket156 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Interesting how many negative comments there are about it when you think of all the times people have said things like "I'd buy a Henry if they had a loading gate."

I think the steel models will come; those are made in Wisconsin instead of New Jersey so Rice Lake would have to set up for it. It really blows my mind that a gun manufacturer would set up shop in New Jersey as recently as 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    My Next Big Wish: Henry offering to retrofit their existing rifles with a side gate! If within reason, my .41 Big Boy Steel would make that return trip. It is a well built rifle, and at a very fair price. I'l say this once again, I wish Henry had spent a bit more time polishing their steel and bluing it, rather than the dull'ish matte black it came with. Some of us are just never happy........
    Probably cost as much as a new rifle to do it.
    Team Henry #143

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    What puzzles me is why all the kudos to Henry for producing a rifle with a side loading gate. Others have been doing it for over 150 years LOL. Marlin is at least trying to innovate and come up with new products...or at least modern interpretations of historic designs...as seen here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...dark-336-1895/

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    Drm50

Yep. Sometimes reality sucks. Forged steel weapons made from a solid piece of steel is ancient history. My Pre 64 Winchester rifles will still be functioning after I'm history.

There is a limit to what the average hunter can pay for a firearm. Mfg have come out with inexpensive weapons that are still accurate for entry level prices. Take a look at the Ruger American rifle. I've seen that rifle at the range and its a pretty well made weapon considering the low price. I've seen young people shooting that rifle at our local range, and getting 3 shot groups in a 1 inch circle at 100 yards.

The other thing to consider is........how much will the average hunter actually fire the rifle? I go out in the game lands with a rifle and 98 percent of the time, I don't see anything to shoot. So I unload the weapon and call it a day. I never walk out disappointed. I get out in the Game lands with my equipment, take long walks in the fresh air and get exercise. I enjoy it.

Keep in mind that I don't hunt game animals, I'm after Coyotes. Most of the time I don't see any. Probably because they saw or smelled me before I saw them.

Mike T.

It is sad how the market is flooded with garbage rifles. Sure these new cheap bolt guns shoot OK but look at them and work their action. Cheaply made and you can tell. Sure it will perform and kill a deer but they feel like toys instead of firearms. A Savage 110 was designed to be an economy gun but now is considered a premium gun in many circles.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by -69.55 View Post
    What puzzles me is why all the kudos to Henry for producing a rifle with a side loading gate. Others have been doing it for over 150 years LOL. Marlin is at least trying to innovate and come up with new products...or at least modern interpretations of historic designs...as seen here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...dark-336-1895/

Reading through the below forum, starting in 2009/2010 to date, will provide a good understanding:

MARLIN RANT FORUM

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Wrangler
    Member #
    How will the lever action market react?
    Will Henry's without gates sell? Will Remlin prices go down?
    Will we be seeing more of the older Henry's at the LGS?
    Will Henry be able to handle the increased market share?
    Some have said their finishing may not be up to par already with the Latest innovations.
    Still it's a good time to be a lever action fan.
    electricmo, -69.55 and Pereira like this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    39M, 35Rem, ZG 100, 336xlr, Mod 60
    19895cb and cba
    H001T, H001TV, H006, 243 Sako Finnwolf
    Power to the proper people

Contributing Member
    St. Louis MO On the front lines keeping America safe from Illinois
    Member #
    Im not the ultimate Henry Fanboy, but I do like and respect them for trying to give us what we asked for. I have owen a few and all have had fantastic fit and finish. All have functioned perfectly ( the 327 even cycles 32 S&W long like butter, and that was not even something they promised) Also I believe we sometimes remember Marlin a little more fondly than it deserves. Long before Remlin there were regular issues requiring action tuning, smoothing and fit and finish issues. Of course not on all but still we understood they were a low priced working mans tool. The last two 1895 guide guns I bought (one blued and one Stainless) both had very rough actions from the factory. I fixed both of them and enjoy them very much, but I have yet to own, or operate a Henry that did not cycle smooth from the box.
    And Lastly, a lot of folks just simply like to comment on things they have not experienced. (Like Kimber owners that hate Rock Island 1911's even though they never fired one)
    So, Thanks Henry for listening, making a great product and for doing what you can to sell at a price that the working man can afford.
    Galaxieman "Todilchxoshi"
    Team 30-30 #504
    1964 39A Team 39 #142
    1978 Sears Model 45 in .35 Rem Team 35 #330
    1978 444 Team 444 # 571

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    Reading through the below forum, starting in 2009/2010 to date, will provide a good understanding:

MARLIN RANT FORUM

Jack
    I hear ya, and I have read many of the stories, here and elsewhere on the net. I've also read similar horror stories about other major manufacturers like Smith & Wesson and Ruger. I also seem to recall reading a few unflattering comments about Henrys FWIW. The problem is...other people's problems with Remlin QC...have not been my experience. How many of us go out of our way to report a positive experience with any new product? We only hear the bad...who can be quite vocal. My Remlin is perfectly acceptable to me and IIRC this is the first time I've ever posted such a compliment. In short, I can only go on my own personal experience. IDK maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. About all I can say is that I am a dedicated Marlin-Remlin fan and I don't intend to defect to the Henry crowd just because Henry listened to feedback and produced a single model with a side loading gate.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
    It is sad how the market is flooded with garbage rifles. Sure these new cheap bolt guns shoot OK but look at them and work their action. Cheaply made and you can tell. Sure it will perform and kill a deer but they feel like toys instead of firearms. A Savage 110 was designed to be an economy gun but now is considered a premium gun in many circles.
    If you're looking at cheap guns then sure, but as has already been mentioned its expensive to make quality stuff and many are unwilling r unable to pay for it. I would argue that a Sako or Accuracy International is a better bolt gun than any Remington or Winchester ever made-and they should be for the $4,000+ they cost
    Drm50 likes this.
    Team Henry #143

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links