.44 Special Old school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: .44 Special Old school

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

.44 Special Old school

For a winter hog hunt I'm thinking of using a .44 Special with 240gr SWC for a handgun backup or a close shot. It will back up a .45-70 or .44 Mag. I know I could just use a Model 29 but I think the .44 special would be different. Dropped one last year with a 1894 .357. I think the special would drop a piggy. What do you think

Marlin Fanatic
    New York, due to family ties. Never Forget 911
    Member #
    No doubt it will do the job, with the proper load, the distance, and a well placed shot.
    Merle1, gunscrewguy and Ray Newman like this.

Team 45-70 ~ #45
    Team 1894 ~ #86
    Team Browning ~ #41
    Team Old Pharts ~ #103

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I'm a big fan of the late Skeeter Skelton's pet load of 7.5 gr. Unique and the 240 gr. Elmer Keith bullet. Perfectly safe in any "N" frame Smith, Colt single action or Colt New service size handguns. Works in the .44 Mag. just like a .22 short works in a .22LR. I cast my own bullets and mine run from the mold about 10 to 12 grains heavier which suits me just fine. I'd put that load up against any hog or Black Bear I'd run into in my neck of the woods. Velocity runs around 950 FPS from my 6.5" 624 Smith. Yes, it is way over book loads but the .44 Spl. was never loaded to its true potential by the factories. I've even shot that load in a Charter Arms Bulldog. No problem other than the recoil was almost uncontrollable. The gun was fine.
    Paul B.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION! POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS! WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I just got my 44 HBWC mold in mail today. It comes with 2 sets of core pins. One for hollow base and one for pouring solids. I got it mostly for S&W m24 target loads in HBWC mode. Going to try it out in m29s and Ruger SBH for deer load. For those who are big on meta plate, it's all meta plate. It's a MP mold from overseas. I've been looking for heavy WC in 44 for several years. I have Ideal in 185gr button nose which is a Lyman / Ideal style that I have had good accuracy with in 32-38-44 & 45 cal. Most WCs have been discontinued and ones available aren't big on grease grooves.
    gunscrewguy and Reload like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Banned
    Member #
    my S&W 624 goes with me in the woods with hard cast 240gc bullets at 900 fps, i shot a medium sized doe head on at 35 yards and the bullet went clear thru her, stem to stern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I carry a Ruger GP100 in 44 SPL as my backup gun. Its always loaded with 240 gr Proofmark SWCs and 7 grs of 800-X.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    I'm a big fan of the late Skeeter Skelton's pet load of 7.5 gr. Unique and the 240 gr. Elmer Keith bullet. Perfectly safe in any "N" frame Smith, Colt single action or Colt New service size handguns. Works in the .44 Mag. just like a .22 short works in a .22LR. I cast my own bullets and mine run from the mold about 10 to 12 grains heavier which suits me just fine. I'd put that load up against any hog or Black Bear I'd run into in my neck of the woods. Velocity runs around 950 FPS from my 6.5" 624 Smith. Yes, it is way over book loads but the .44 Spl. was never loaded to its true potential by the factories. I've even shot that load in a Charter Arms Bulldog. No problem other than the recoil was almost uncontrollable. The gun was fine.
    Paul B.
    Paul, I agree back in the day I can remember shooting some fairly hot loads out of my Charter bulldog after 30 years my right hand still remembers. The gun was fine though.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I haven't started reloading .44 Special yet. A good factory load is the Buffalo Bore 240 grain hard cast lead at 1000 fps. All my .44 cal guns seem to like them.
    Reload and gunscrewguy like this.
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nothing wrong with the 44 Special. I chronoed the Keith load at 985 fps from a 3 inch barrel. Make sure your revolver is strong enough for this load.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Shark Bait whats that gun in the picture. Almost looks like a 3 1/2 inch 27
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links