Hawg Hunting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hawg Hunting?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Hawg Hunting?

Have you seen those videos on the web? Those ones where running hogs are shot from helicopters? Where they're shot at feeders, at night? Where shots are taken as long as any running pigs are still in sight? Where 30 round mags are emptied at hogs running through cover, or running over the visual horizon?

Catch me up on this.

I've never hunted hogs and I don't live where feral hogs are a problem for me or anyone I know. I understand how they are extremely destructive to crops and even athletic fields and suburban lawns. That they are roundly hated. I get that.

But have hogs sunk to the level that there is no ethical responsibility to hunt them humanely? To be sure of the shot? To follow up and recover the wounded? Are hogs now in the same category as city dump rats?

Hogs reproduce frequently and often have litters of a dozen or more. Recreational hunting (if the examples above are to be considered "recreational hunting") cannot reduce the numbers enough to have a substantial effect on hog populations, since probably half of them get away from the shooters. One breeding cycle and the numbers are back up to where they were. These shoots are minimally effective, at most, for population control.

Hunt them? Heck yeah! Hunt them all, hunt them hard, and hunt them often. Hunt them from stands, hunt them over bait, and hunt them at night with imaging scopes. I hope to be out there myself one day one day before too long. But those videos are not doing ethical hunters of other game any favors. Those videos are the closest many people, read voters, will ever get to hunting. Please, I say, hunt them ethically, just as you would hunt deer, or bear, or anything else, and stop posting those irresponsible videos.

If I'm missing something here, please fill me in.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I agree. I like to watch, but the left could use some of this against us.
    V

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Did you see the one with Ted Nugent shooting feral hogs from the helicopter?
    “Aporkalypse Now!”
    Lmao

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey HK, I tend to be a little unethical with the feral hogs that come on my little 15 acres of heaven. There is a major game trail that cuts across the corner of the property. I have a game camera on the trail and knew that sounders >40 were going through and killed a few "ethically" with the 45-70. But I woke up one morning and the entire 15 acres looked like someone had spent the night working it over with a disc or turning plow. I'm a little unsteady on my feet after a major illness and this creates a mobility issue for me. So now, I shoot them as long as I have a safe background without regard for their concept of good sportsmanship.
    “Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.” - Matthew Quigley

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I like trapping them, get 3 or 4 at a time. One well placed shot and you don't mess up any meat.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    They are Like fleas on a 2 dollar dog in these parts.
    More than you could shoot in a lifetime of hunting.
    Perhaps I am just Old Fashioned , but I hunt them on foot, and try to make sure I have a killing shot prior to squeezing the trigger.
    They may be pests, but they cook up just fine, why waste them indiscriminately.
    I have killed them with just about every caliber of rifle I own, excepting the 22's, and with slugs from a 410 as well, and also with my Delta Elite.
    Its nice to have some sort of No Season , No Limit Game that is actually edible.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have said this before. No animal deserves to die a slow painful death,from wounds, caused by indiscriminate shooting. Clean shots and fast kills are in order when I hunt.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    The situation with hogs down south is like our coyote problem here in Ohio. A few guys going out to shoot them once in a while has no effect on the population. Trapping or poison is the only way. Pioson is out of the question and trapping is expensive and time consuming.
    Being that there is money in hog hunting it's going to be hard to stop them. The control of hogs could be done with the birth control baits they have used on other species in the past.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    If the Farmers and Ranchers want more people to come down and shoot hogs, maybe they could drop the price a little. $400 for a day and a half, or sometimes two days, and you get 1 or 2 hogs is too spendy. They get guide fees, skinning fees, and tips, so it adds up to the point where it's just not worth it. I don't mind hunting a well managed 10,000 acre operation, I have before, but some just charge too much. No food and cold water shower for $200 per day isn't a fair price.
    marlinluvr likes this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    If the Farmers and Ranchers want more people to come down and shoot hogs, maybe they could drop the price a little. $400 for a day and a half, or sometimes two days, and you get 1 or 2 hogs is too spendy. They get guide fees, skinning fees, and tips, so it adds up to the point where it's just not worth it. I don't mind hunting a well managed 10,000 acre operation, I have before, but some just charge too much. No food and cold water shower for $200 per day isn't a fair price.
    Around here, many farmers will pay you, Not the other way around.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links