Anyone use a green light for night hunting hogs or varmints?
Like Tree22Likes
  • 2 Post By lightsoutcalls
  • 5 Post By navajo
  • 1 Post By scorpio
  • 1 Post By lightsoutcalls
  • 2 Post By Gareth Holland
  • 6 Post By a9mmfan
  • 2 Post By navajo
  • 1 Post By lightsoutcalls
  • 1 Post By Drm50
  • 1 Post By oldfrank

Thread: Anyone use a green light for night hunting hogs or varmints?

Tinhorn
    Member #

Anyone use a green light for night hunting hogs or varmints?

We have an upcoming hunt planned to take a couple of clients out for a feral hog hunt. Buddy and I have both have a thermal rig setup (see my "seeing spots" post). Last year I bought a flashlight with a green T6 Cree LED that uses 1- 18650 rechargeable battery and throws a beam well over 100 yards. I have a clamp mount that will allow it to be clamped onto the scope on my .35 Remington. It makes it a little "clunky" for balance, but not too bad. We plan to use the thermals to spot game, but might try the green light after our hunters get a shot. We used it once last year to see how critters would react. We didn't find any pigs, but saw several deer through the thermal, so we shined the green light on them to see how they would respond. Deer in the headlights! They did look towards the light source, but did not appear to be the least bit bothered by it. We watched them for 10-15 seconds in the wash of green light, then shut it off and watched through the thermal. Deer went back to feeding after a few seconds.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with them.
    gunscrewguy and Marlinjunkie like this.
    My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!
    Psalm 121:2 (New Living Translation)

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #

I have one I keep on my 7mm-08.
    I have a feeder I can watch out that window in my cabin.
    I have a motion detector set up out there on it and I
    sometimes sleep out there, so I can wake up and shoot
    a hog when they come in.
    It works...I use that NV to look first then if I want to shoot
    I can.
    They don't usually have much reaction to it.
    It's good out to 200 yards or so.
    I would much prefer thermal but I just haven't got one yet.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    OP, are you asking about green light in the visible spectrum or IR light that shows up as green in an IR scope?
    JMAG54 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    OP, are you asking about green light in the visible spectrum or IR light that shows up as green in an IR scope?
    I'm asking about an actual green LED light. Throws a green beam. Something like this-
    https://www.amazon.com/WINDFIRE-Tact...K6NFM4GNEW7EQ4

I wanted one from Wicked Lights, but thought I should try something more budget friendly to see how it works before making much of an investment. Mine was around $40 IIRC. It easily throws a beam 150 yards with good target ID. We were in some bottom land fields and I do remember that any dust in the air really impacted being able to see out to the actual distance the beam would throw.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Green works better than Red although you see more with Red, Green causes less alarm. I used both before we went to NV for UK fox control.
    Marlinjunkie and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have 2 and use them regularly on the local feral hogs. One is the Wicked light, and the other the 40 dollar generic. The only difference I have found is that the Wicked lights up about 50 yds further.
    I have a feeder set up about 100 yds from the back porch, so I tend to use mine nightly. As one would expect the range starts to diminish after about an hour's use of the battery. The Wicked seems to fade a little slower. Hope that helps
    “Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.” - Matthew Quigley

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsoutcalls View Post
    I'm asking about an actual green LED light. Throws a green beam. Something like this-
    https://www.amazon.com/WINDFIRE-Tact...K6NFM4GNEW7EQ4

I wanted one from Wicked Lights, but thought I should try something more budget friendly to see how it works before making much of an investment. Mine was around $40 IIRC. It easily throws a beam 150 yards with good target ID. We were in some bottom land fields and I do remember that any dust in the air really impacted being able to see out to the actual distance the beam would throw.

Mine is from Wicked Lights. It works well. I don't see it as a bad investment at all.
    The one I have is supposed to be good to 300yards and that's not an invalid claim,
    although at 200 there is much more visibility, and I'm not using a cheap scope.
    I don't recall what model it is but it cost 200.00.
    It's fine but it's just not night vision.
    Marlinjunkie and pacificpt like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by a9mmfan View Post
    I have 2 and use them regularly on the local feral hogs. One is the Wicked light, and the other the 40 dollar generic. The only difference I have found is that the Wicked lights up about 50 yds further.
    I have a feeder set up about 100 yds from the back porch, so I tend to use mine nightly. As one would expect the range starts to diminish after about an hour's use of the battery. The Wicked seems to fade a little slower. Hope that helps
    I keep several extra 18650 batteries charged and in my pack.
    pacificpt likes this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by a9mmfan View Post
    If you are using a battery rechargable light from a location that has electric avaible you can wire it up to run directly from charger
    on 110v. I've never had a green light. Use to use Red when we were doing a lot of fox hunting. I always wanted a Star light scope but they were hard to come by. Never did get the chance to liberate one. I did have one of the old GI infrareds with Scope, Spot light
    and power pack but never got it mounted on a gun before I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.
    lightsoutcalls likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tinhorn
    Member #
    UltraFire Wf-501b CREE Green Light LED 1mode Flashlight

I have several of these I bought on Ebay and I love them. I have a Wicked Light also and have not compared them side by side.
    I have killed pigs with these lights out ot 70-80 yards and I don't know how far you could actually shoot.
    I bought extra 18650 batteries and chargers from ebay also. Come from China and take a while but they are good lights and never had any problems.
    lightsoutcalls likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links