Hog hunting: just stand or use a stand?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

I've never hunted hogs and would like to this year. Do you just find somewhere to stand or do you use a tree stand? I saw that picture of the guy with the messed up leg and quite frankly, I woudln't want to have that happen to me. Seems a tree stand would ensure that doesn't happen.

Rick

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

:lol: :lol: Rick,

That fellow is in S. America and he took a huge boar with his dog and a knife. The pic shows what can happen. You can use tree stands, spot and stalk or even pop-up blinds. I carry my .44 MagRH along with a good SureFire light on my hip when hunting hawgs. I hunt them at night.

Dave
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Feral hogs will typically high tail it once they either catch scent, sight, or hear you. Very few feral hogs actually charge. They only time they charge is if they're cornered, or you've stumbled across a sow with her piglets.... and you're too close.

Most "charges" are actually pigs that just happen to take their path off escape in your direction. Just step out of their way and you're fine.

As far as stand hunting.... if you have an area that the pigs are frequenting, or you have bait set out, you can hunt from a ground or tree blind.

If baiting is not allowed, then it's best to still hunt. Find an area where they travel and start creeping along. Creek beds with heavy cover are frequent hang outs.

Once you learn more about their habits and behavior (which changes....) it's easier to track them down on their turf and take a couple.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

bull3540

Most of the places I've hunted have stands and blinds, so it's the most familiar way of hunting hogs for me.

I have however hunted places where it was better to still hunt or stalk. You must learn how to move around quietly, as well as eliminate you scent as best you can.

I've had one pig charge me, and that was after I'd shot her through both shoulders. Actually, that time I put one bullet through to pigs at once, not realizing how well a hard cast bullet will penetrate. The first one was DOA, the other had managed to go about 5 yards back onto the trail leading to the feeder. It was dark and I didn't see how close I was to the wounded one, when she lunged at me using her hind legs only. Quite a surprise and the only time I've ever been "charged" by one.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Always carry extra toilet paper!!
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Gunfighter
    Member #

I prefer an elevated stand. Or elevated shooting position.

I have also spot and stalked, and just found them while still hunting.

IMO they will herd up and try and run off a threat. That being said three different times my hunting partner and I have been "run at". Don't know if they were charging but it appeared that way.

Carry a rifle that you can shoot fast.

Corbi

Oz
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Pigs have very poor eyesight, so most times pigs run in your direction it's because they have not seen you. It usualy happens after a shot has been fired and quite often it's an animal in the mob that hasn't been hit or has untill then been unsighted. A pigs main form of defense is flight, and it is quite effective as you have probably already experienced, they are quick, and bloody hard to shoot when they are running straight at you. Now I don't know if they do that on purpose but it seems to work, for them, and it scares the bejesus out of you.
    Having said all that, it doesn't mean they won't charge, they bloody will and when one does you wil be in no doubt as to what is happening.
    I have been charged twice, first time was a boar that was asleep and I nearly stood on him in thick scrub, managed to sidestep him and how he missed my groin I will never know, never got a shot away either. The other was a huge sow, I shot her through the ribs with .44mag and she disapeared into tall grass. When I got to where I had shot her she was standing facing me,about ten yards away, swaying from side to side, surounded by eight or ten slips. I aimed between her eyes and fired just as she charged, hit her just under her right eye, she was dead before she hit the ground.
    So they won't charge often but it always pays to be alert when in pig country. Will try to find and scan a photo of that sow and post it.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Love people and use things. NOT THE OPPOSITE.

Team ANZMO Member #00

Team 1894 Member # 214

Team Bikers Member#02

Team .375 Member #02

bull3540

Quote Originally Posted by VTDW
    Always carry extra toilet paper!!
    Check... :shock:

Tinhorn
    Member #

On the subject of pigs charging, yes they will and you can count your self lucky if you able to get out of their way. I've been charged a number of times, one time I had a boar rip my pants from my ankle to my knee! exciting stuff "Hell yeah" thats half the reason I'm out there doing it!
    If you want to shoot pigs from stand or from a distance by all means do it. But if you want that extra element of raw excitment you've gotta dog em.
    Some say I'm obsessed, only I know its far more serious than that!

Gunfighter
    Member #

I prefer a tree stand over ground hunting because of the advantages of hunting from an elevated position. IMO you have a better chance of falling from a tree stand than being gored by a sounder of hogs (if you are rifle hunting). Muzzleloader and archery hunters IMO should carry a backup pistol.

I'll second Oz on hitting them while they are running at you. Even when I waited until they were close, I still missed.

Corbi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links