Thinking single-action ...
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Thinking single-action ...

Wrangler
    Member #

Thinking single-action ...

Iíve currently got just the one ...

Ruger Single Six convertible (.22lr/.22 mag) Itís nice, but .22 bores me.

Iím thinking itís about time to add a centerfire one to the collection. Just for a range toy. Iím looking for plus/minus suggestions.

I donít reload, and have no plans to begin doing so. Iíve already got several revolvers chambered in .357 (and a pile of ammo for them) but Iím not opposed to adding a new caliber like .45 LC

Sooooooo, my question for the experienced ďcowboyĒ shooters is this:

If you were just starting out again, which specific revolver would you purchase first and why?

#532 TEAM 30-30 ... #24 TEAM SOUTHPAW ... #42 TEAM WHEELGUNS ... #23 TEAM SEMI-AUTO

- Mike

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The 357 and 45 colts are my favorites, but as you said you don't, and don't plan to reload.
    The 44 mag will be easier and cheaper to feed than the 45.

RP

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I would go with a replica Colt SAA in .357 Mag/.38 Special, with a 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel.
    They're well balanced, and you can get ammo dirt cheap for plinking.
    I have my Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag, and absolutely love it. I rolled my own ammo, because there isn't any here where I live.
    So having another SA in a caliber that is inexpensive really works out well for practice, and possibly using the revolver for home defense, too.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
    Bumpus, JohnD13, twodot and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I’ll add that I work about 5 minutes away from a Cabela’s, so finding ammo isn’t normally an issue for me.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

#532 TEAM 30-30 ... #24 TEAM SOUTHPAW ... #42 TEAM WHEELGUNS ... #23 TEAM SEMI-AUTO

- Mike

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If you want a thumper go with the 44 Mag. If you come across some 44 Special buy it up for a milder shooting round. In single action I would get a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk.
    If you want to put big holes in stuff go with the 45LC. Cowboy rounds are available and factory ammo too. There are several different Colt clones available, some less that $450.
    Or go big and get a .454 Casull. It will also handle the 45LC as well as the occasional wandering Grizz.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you don't reload a 45 colt is definitely pricey.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I may be listing a Virginian Dragoon in 44 magnum, 7 1/2" barrel soon. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get pictures and get it listed this week. Watch for it.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    Buy this!

I have one in .357 with a 5 inch barrel and love it Almost always goes to the range.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I don't shoot cowboy action but I do like my New Model Blackhawk in .45 LC - nice thing about it is that it has an extra cylinder - convertible to .45ACP!! Shoots well with both. I believe that these are still available from Ruger and can be had for about $700-750 maybe less. I like it because shooting the .45 ACP matches up with my 1911 and the .45 LC is just plain fun to shoot. Good Luck! I hope you find something you like.

P.S. the .45 ACP makes it cheaper to shoot!

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    If you don't reload a 45 colt is definitely pricey.
    I did notice that.

Of course, it seems that .45LC is the traditional caliber for these - Combined with the fact that I don’t own anything in it ... Well, I seem to be leaning in that direction. Not sold yet, mind you. Just leaning.

I've got plenty of .357 & I love the caliber. So I’m giving strong consideration that direction.

I have one .44 magnum (S&W M629) and it’s my “Oh crap!” just in case hunting sidearm. .44 specials are fun, but not gonna lie - after 2 or 3 cylinders full of magnums, it gets put back down for a while.

I’m certainly nowhere near made of money, but I cut out my main vices (smoking/drinking) 18 months ago due to health reasons, so it seems like I’ve got extra loot burning a hole in my pocket sometimes. Makes it much easier to justify ammo prices.

Started checking out Vaqueros and Cattlemen and I really like the size. Not really looking for anything too huge.

- Mike

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links