big bore revolvers
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: big bore revolvers

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

big bore revolvers

I've never shot anything bigger than 44 mag, and don't currently own any revolvers, but I want to get a big bore.

454 Casull vs 475 Linebaugh vs 480 Ruger vs 500 S&W

I've read that 480 Ruger has the least vicious recoil of that lot.

Anyone with experience in any of those, I welcome your input.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I like the .454 Casull even though I don't own one. Have a friend that owns one in a Super Redhawk and I've fired it a bunch and don't find it particularly abusive. You can also load .45 Colt in it for light practice rounds. You forgot the .460 S&W Magnum which I believe will also fire .454 Casull and .45 Colt but you'll have to do some research on that one.

Stu
    sgt_zim likes this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Contributing Member
    Member #
    You must still be a young & strong fella! LOL! I've settled down to the .357 magnum as my top end regularly fired caliber, with some .41 magnums fired on good days. (handguns that is)

Once old "arthur" gets settled down in your hands & wrists, you'll understand and remember this word of advice. Limit the long drawn out sessions of shooting those boomers to when it first starts to "tingle a little". Otherwise your old man days will make it darn right painfully to shoot those monsters.

They are fun for sure, but unless you keep your grip and wrist strong enough to absorb the punishment, your joints will pay the price. I think any one of those would do for a nice range toy/deer slayer. The 454 and 44 magnums were to top end of easy to get handguns in my day. The 454 will also let you shoot the milder 45 colt IIRC. Not sure if the others have a "light load". But good luck, have fun and share some pictures of what you settle on.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I own two 44 magnums. Both S&W. One scoped and the other Performance Center with open sights. I shoot "rabbit fart" loads and full house loads from both, and have used both hunting deer. IMHO, with the proper grip, and providing the user has no health issues the 44 magnums are a joy to shoot many rounds at the range.

I've never owned the S&W 500 or 460 "X-Frame" revolvers, but I have shot them. With the additional weight of the X-Frame these revolvers are nice to shoot. I shot both with factory ammo and found the recoil of the bigger X-Frame to be not as harsh as the 44 mag......even tho I don't regard the 44-mag as "harsh." I guess the X-Frame revolvers are more of a quick push than the recoil of the 44-mag.

I believe the recoil of the large bore Casull's and Linebaugh's are from the fact that they are built on the same size of frame that the S&W and the Ruger's are built on. That being said you're now shooting a caliber with much more Ka-boom (yes.....that is a technical term ) in the "smaller" Ruger frame.

Then again, if you reload you can always load down a pile of rounds for target and range shooting.
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sgt Zim,

All that you mention are nice powerful revolvers, but too specialized for me..........

By specialized, I mean they are hunting calibers,.........not plinking, target or self defense calibers.....

Yeah they are big .........and heavy, and I wouldn't go near one without hearing protection in any situation.........

I see a few at the Range from time to time, and most owners I talk to bought them 'cuz they are big and loud...........haven't met any owner yet who actually hunts with one, and that's really what they were made for.

Hey, I'm 73....Too old to learn new tricks........So, and when I want to shoot a "big" handgun (to me).........its a 10MM or 45 Colt...........The Colt I can tolerate one or two shots in the field w/o hearing protection....The 10 MM, not so much....

I do own a Colt Anaconda 44 Mag that hasn't seen any Range or Hunting time in almost 30 years, and I don't miss shooting it, either........I hunted with it in a belt rig, and it kept pulling in pants down!.............NOT a comfortable thing !

Good Luck in your choice, but I hope you have a real "use" for a gun like that............Don't just buy it for bragging rights, as I think so many do.........

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    You must still be a young & strong fella! LOL! I've settled down to the .357 magnum as my top end regularly fired caliber, with some .41 magnums fired on good days. (handguns that is)

Once old "arthur" gets settled down in your hands & wrists, you'll understand and remember this word of advice. Limit the long drawn out sessions of shooting those boomers to when it first starts to "tingle a little". Otherwise your old man days will make it darn right painfully to shoot those monsters.

They are fun for sure, but unless you keep your grip and wrist strong enough to absorb the punishment, your joints will pay the price. I think any one of those would do for a nice range toy/deer slayer. The 454 and 44 magnums were to top end of easy to get handguns in my day. The 454 will also let you shoot the milder 45 colt IIRC. Not sure if the others have a "light load". But good luck, have fun and share some pictures of what you settle on.
    Only 51, already have arthritis in knees and hips. Not too worried about it.

Plan is for this to be a backup for when I get to the north country.
    marlinluvr, M700 and Tomray like this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've got several 44mgs. Only shoot magnum load JHPs in a old 3screw Ruger SBH. The S&Ws are tuned for target with cast. I have had many of the mega magnums but don't keep them long. Like to touch off a box to say I did. Last was 500 S&W. I was not impressed. I haven't owned 460 S&W but shot one and I was impressed. For me I don't need bigger than 44mg. If I was buying a mega magnum I would go with 460S&W. I'm not a fan of Dan Wesson either but I had a 445 super mag that shot well.
    turbobug and Travlin like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I shot a friends 47-70 single action revolver once. I am over it. I think 45 casull was tame when compared.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've shot them all, my neighbors own a selection. And didn't like them. My .44 Mag SBH is stout enough for this kid. Surprisingly, a very heavy loaded .480 Ruger in a DA revolver hurt my wrist bones worse than all the others. It's got a vicious straight back recoil, due to the shape of the grip. Heavy loaded SA revolvers are easier to take, they swivel.

Give 'em a try if you can before you buy. See how it goes.
    sgt_zim and Travlin like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Deadeye
    Member #
    I don't have any of those listed, however I do have a BFR 45/70 that I bought back in 2002.

It shoots well and recoil was not as bad as I expected, the difference that some attribute to using rifle vs pistol powder making recoil more of push than snap.

I was thinking of selling it a few years back since I wasn't using it but then the conservation department added Centerfire handguns as an allowed method to what used to be our black powder season, changing the name to Alternative methods. Since then I've been carrying it in the woods when hunting that season. I haven't had the opportunity to take anything with it yet which may be just as well because the thought of firing it in a hunting situation is daunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sgt_zim and Travlin like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links