• 4 Post By bassetman1974
  • 1 Post By Ballistic Therapy
  • 1 Post By palmetto pirate
  • 1 Post By bassetman1974

Thread: Need help on this old Smith

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Need help on this old Smith

Pick up this hand ejector it’s tight and the nickel finish is still fairly good grips appear to be original. It’s in 32 S&W Long. The serial number is 3168xx it’s has that same serial number in three places on the inside of the grip on the inside of the cylinder and on the barrel under the ejector. When you open the cylinder it has 25281 on the frame where the model number would be on the newer ones.On the bottom of the grip it’s stamped pat June 5th 1917 on the other side someone has put CPP on it, maybe their initials? On top of the barrel it has two lines that read smith and Wesson Springfield mass the second line has like three pat dates. How old is it and can I shoot modern Ammo in it?
    Golphin, DRSLYR, Stu925 and 6 others like this.
    My Avatar is to honor my family members 1st Lt. J.H. Echols 8th Georgia Infantry Company H, CSA, Killed in Action at Gettysburg (Wheatfield) July 2nd 1863. And Brigadier General John Echols 27th Virginia Infantry, CSA Stonewall's Brigade.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    As long as it locks up tight and the timing is good I think that you will be fine. Let's face it .32 S&W Long is not a high pressure cartridge. I shoot a Colt Police Positive 32 that was made in 1910 .
    palmetto pirate likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That appears to be a .32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model. It will be in the smaller I frame. Made between 1919 and 1942, serial number range 263001-536684. A total of 271,531 produced. Guns under serial number 321000 did not have heat treated cylinders. I suggest using loads at the lower end of the spectrum. I have not seen patent dates stamped on stocks before.
    Last edited by Shark Bait; 07-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    That appears to be a .32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model. It will be in the smaller I frame. Made between 1919 and 1942, serial number range 263001-536684. A total of 271,531 produced. Guns under serial number 321000 did not have heat treated cylinders. I suggest using loads at the lower end of the spectrum. I have not seen patent dates stamped on stocks before.
    Thanks, the stamping looks factory I haven't saw one with it either.
    My Avatar is to honor my family members 1st Lt. J.H. Echols 8th Georgia Infantry Company H, CSA, Killed in Action at Gettysburg (Wheatfield) July 2nd 1863. And Brigadier General John Echols 27th Virginia Infantry, CSA Stonewall's Brigade.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    You should also find the serial number under the ejector star and on the inside face of the yoke. You would need to remove the cylinder to see that one. The number on the frame is an assembly number.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Dave answered your questions correctly. However, the appearance of the large nob on the ejector rod helps us narrow down the year it was made. If memory serves correctly, the big nob diappeared around 1932. As far as ammo, the 32 Long is quite mildly loaded today. I shoot current made 32 Long ammo in all my older Colts and S&W's dating back to the early 1920's.

Unfortunately, my only picture of my 32 Longs on hand is this 3" snubbie from 1974. Next, is my Hand Ejector from around 1930 in 32-20. Had that pic on hand and had to show it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bassetman1974 View Post
    Dave answered your questions correctly. However, the appearance of the large nob on the ejector rod helps us narrow down the year it was made. If memory serves correctly, the big nob diappeared around 1932. As far as ammo, the 32 Long is quite mildly loaded today. I shoot current made 32 Long ammo in all my older Colts and S&W's dating back to the early 1920's.

Unfortunately, my only picture of my 32 Longs on hand is this 3" snubbie from 1974. Next, is my Hand Ejector from around 1930 in 32-20. Had that pic on hand and had to show it off.
    Thanks for the info! I have a S&W model 30-1 with a 3 inch barrel and an old hand ejector M&P in 32-20 but my 32-20 isn't near as pretty as yours.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Take the grips off.
    On the bottom of the grip frame will be a number. That is your serial number.
    The other numbers on the gun are not necessarily the serial number. They could be parts or assembly numbers.
    Call S&W and they will tell you what model it is and when it was made.
    They will also answer any other questions you have.
    They will want the number on the bottom of the grip frame.
    Their number is 1-800-331-0852 .

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bassetman1974 View Post

Have you ever saw one with a patent date stamped on the bottom of the grip?
    bassetman1974 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto pirate View Post
    Have you ever saw one with a patent date stamped on the bottom of the grip?
    No, I have not. This is the second S&W in the last few days that contain a mystery. There's a model 1917 in my sights that is causing some questions. Hard to know exactly what happened 90 to 102 years ago on these guns. Kinda makes you whish that they could talk.

Anyway, nice to know someone else out there has a 30-1 with 3" barrel and a Hand Ejector in 32-20. I'm not a huge nickel fan, but your gun that started this thread would be welcome in my collection.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links