• 3 Post By M700
  • 3 Post By M700
  • 1 Post By tranteruk
  • 1 Post By M700

Thread: Yesterday's Handgun Training:

Contributing Member
    Member #

Yesterday's Handgun Training:

Have two clients who started shooting again a month ago after years of not shooting at all. They've been meeting with me once a week, and their skills are improving quickly!

This was what I had set up for them yesterday morning.

We started with a review of the fundamentals and shot tight groups on the NRA bullseye target, then went to some drills on the paper plates and the paper silhouette. I replaced quite a few silhouette targets over the next hour!

I like the paper plates specifically because there is no well-defined aiming point. I find this encourages the shooters to focus on their sights, not the target.

And then we turned our attention to little "Henry Steel."

Henry is short, but tough. Claims to be AR 500 steel, and that seems to be the case. We hammered ol' Henry with 38's, 380's, 9mm's and my 45, and he just stood there, lookin' for more! It was a lot of fun.

After the fun with the steel and the silhouettes was over, we went back again and practiced our fundamentals, shooting nice, tight groups.

I try to have some different drills for these two shooters every week.

It was a good morning at the range!

Regards, Guy

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Yesterday's Handgun Training:

That’s awesome, is this your side gig? What pistols are being shot?
    I have a few questions about training/practicing with your carry pistol and whether using lighter weight bullets to practice with is really a good idea when you are carrying heavier loads for defense.
    As would be expected, I note a significant difference in POI between 115-grain FMJ versus 147-grain JHP in my wife’s Kimber Micro-9, for instance, at 10 yards. Should she practice only with her carry ammo? Or should I split the difference and switch her over to 124-grain JHP ammo for practice and carry?
    Thanks,
    —Griff
    M700 and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Can I have a go? When instructing I had a line you, or others may find useful. On inspecting groups I would say 'now, give me groups twice the size, but in half the time'.

I like your set up, and wonder what range you were firing at?
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hi guys - ya this is my retirement "job." Ha!

I do handgun training, basic to advanced, and throw in a rifle course now and again as well.

Also do security consultations for homeowners as well as small businesses, and some pepper spray training.

Keeps me busy, lets me buy ammo and fly fishing stuff, and lets me have fun in retirement, without hurting the family budget.

Win-Win so far. Retired from the cop job five years ago. Started this about a year before I retired.

Regards, Guy
    jgriffin1988, Judson and Padraig like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Oh ya - we trained from contact distance to 15 yards yesterday.

And jgriffin - Yes, I practice with the same weight bullet that I carry for self defense. Mostly. It works well, point of impact is unchanged that way, for me anyway.

Regards, Guy
    tranteruk, jgriffin1988 and Reload like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    15 yds, makes sense. I think for me the thing with those unfamiliar with firearms that worried me most was the draw from concealed. The idea they might send the gat flying towards a bad guy, or shoot themselves in the leg worried me. Lots of dry fire, then nice and slow to start, and broke into stages.
    jgriffin1988 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    15 yds, makes sense. I think for me the thing with those unfamiliar with firearms that worried me most was the draw from concealed. The idea they might send the gat flying towards a bad guy, or shoot themselves in the leg worried me. Lots of dry fire, then nice and slow to start, and broke into stages.
    Ya, neither one of these folks is using a holster right now. We're doing everything from low ready.

Both have holsters coming. One went big time and ordered a holster from Kramer, here in Washington. Spendy, but really well made.

Guy
    jgriffin1988 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links