Striker fired vs Hammer fired.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Striker fired vs Hammer fired.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

I side with the author on this . Here's the story. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/3-...d-always-will/. I always say hammer time!
    Texas Shooter and gunscrewguy like this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I used a model 92 in the USAF as an SP/LE. Loved it.
    I also owned and carried for years the Springfield Xd and loved it.
    Of course we know the 92 is a hammer fired and the Xd is striker fired. I can say that both firearms were exceptional to shoot. I could not choose one over the other for safety or functionality.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Well, I've stated many times I'll only own a DA/SA auto and with revolvers I prefer a hammer as well. I agree DA/SA autos are inherently safer for sure.

I've played with SF 'd pistols and just plain don't care for them, nor do I wish to trust my life to a match-box trigger system. I know folks who like them but it's just my personal preference.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I grew up with revolvers and 1911's but carried a Beretta for one deployment in the Marines then got switched over to a 1911. I hated the DA/SA trigger systems. Much more complicated and takes way longer to train people to shoot them well on a static range when nobody is shooting at you. Scores went up instantly with the 1911 and still what I carry at home every day and train with. I have a Glock 19 for work now but I like the manual safety of a 1911.

A manual safety works in numerous ways, especially if you were disarmed in a fight your opponent may not know to take off a safety. I know everyone is an operator but look at statistics. Cops getting shot with their own guns is not something new or uncommon; in this regard, manual safeties is another plus for the good guys.

Any weapon is good with the shooter behind it IF they've mastered it and what they are comfortable or prefer.
    pacificpt, flatsneck, M700 and 2 others like this.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Hammers for my kablammers.
    Striker-fired semi-autos are for metrosexuals and Europeans.
    True story...
    The End!

Last edited by jgriffin1988; 07-09-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Hammers for my kablammers.
    Striker-fired semi-autos are for metrosexuals and Europeans.
    True story...
    The End!

Pot stirrer!

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    +1 for hammers! Im a big 1911 fan and love em always. I am not a fan of hammerless revolvers, but I wont knock them, Just something about having that little extra "control" of the function and safety of a hammer makes me a tad more comfortable.

after using good, tuned hammer pistols, pretty much all striker fires feel sloppy and odd to me, EXCEPT my Canik TP9SFX.

Holy cow that thing has an absolutely incredible trigger! It has now has moved up quickly into my top 5 favorite pistols. and 20+1 9mm. capacity is a nice bonus.
    I bought it on an impulse buy as everyone called it the Glock killer... man.. they were right. I will never purchase another glock after owning this little sleeper beauty! If it had a hammer, it would be in the top 3!

But.... it will never be as good as my well tuned 1911's
    Texas Shooter and JACKTW like this.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

If its stuck...WD40.... If its loose, Duct tape...

Wrangler
    Member #
    I think that if a shooter looks at the safety issue critically, it is pretty obvious that a pistol that allows a "hammer check" is safer to re-holster. I think you can say the same thing about an engaged thumb safety. Many will tell you that it's a training issue but people have brain farts routinely. The bottom line for me is that I will never appendix or pocket carry a striker fired pistol.

Deadeye
    Member #
    The striker blocking and/or firing pin blocking features of striker fired pistols are not safeties. They merely prevent the pistol from accidentally firing if dropped or impacted. If you can pull the trigger and it doesn't fire then you know you have a safety engaged. The reason you can't do that with striker fired pistols is because they don't have any safeties to engage.

There are those who will say that a striker fired pistol is just as safe to carry as a double action revolver. Not so. Typical double action trigger pull is around 10 pounds. Typical single-action or striker pistol trigger pull is closer to 5 pounds So, a double action pistol requires double the pull weight than a striker fired pistol requires. And, both a cocked double action revolver and a striker fired pistol will fire with nothing more than a light pull of the trigger. Nobody in their right mind carries a double action revolver with the hammer cocked. But that is exactly what people with striker fired pistols are doing.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    what he said

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links