Ruger GP 100 .22 or S&W 617?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Ruger GP 100 .22 or S&W 617?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Ruger GP 100 .22 or S&W 617?

Wars have probably started over words less than those in the thread title. Just for a fun gun and shooting paper and tin cans which you would choose and why? I have always wanted the 617 but I went yesterday into the fun shop or is it gun shop, and put the Ruger in layaway, just shy of 7 hondo but best I recall the 617 costs pretty much the same. The shop didn't have the 617 in stock. I'll eventually end up with both but which would you have or which do you own or shoot and how do you like yours? I'm always ready to hear a gun story! .DT

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am watching this one closely. I have been thinking about posting this exact question.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Well, I will tell you. The Ruger is a nice well made revolver but it comes up way short of the 617. This is out of the box. The Ruger you can tune up and such to take to 617 level but by same token you can do the same with a 617. Bottom line is Ruger can't catch up. I have had several of both and don't keep either. All my 22s are older S&W 17s, 18s and 34s. I had two 617s last year the -6, 10 shooters and they shot as good as my old S&Ws. I don't like SS guns and both the 617 and Ruger GP are heavy. Ruger is built like a tank and dependable but for the money I would have to go with the S&W. Rugers DA revolver line are all of good quality but I never had on that had out of the box accuracy compared to S&W reguardless off caliber. Ive had them all from Security-6, SPs, GPs and Redhawk and they are all a step behind S&Ws.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    If I was buying it would be the 617.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    You fellers may be dead on. I have searched about the Ruger through other forums today and seem like everybody talks about gritty triggers and changing all their springs out. I hope to get the 617 as well someday. Didn't S&W use to offer the 617 in an 8 3/8" barrel? I think all available now is a 6" which would be my choice if a longer barrel isn't available. Drm50, for shooting groups with no alterations to the guns, just outta the box what would you expect to group with each at 20 yards? Thanks .DT
    gunscrewguy and Maineiac like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I don't do optics but one of the 617-6s I sold shoots under a inch at 50' with a Leupold scope off bags. I was present at range when guy who bought it was sighting it in. The Ruger I really can't tell you I shot it off bags at 50' and was lucky to do 4". It was all in the trigger.
    The S&Ws are easier to shoot for most people just on account of smoothness of trigger. The Ruger just didn't interest me, I have enough issues with age and eyesight and wasn't interested in having it tuned up. I'm sure it would be capable of similar accurracy if one wanted to fool with it.

One the subject of 83/8"'vs 6" barrels. I bought all 83/8" guns from when I was a kid. They shoot good and longer the barrel the better.
    They do give you a couple more inches of sight radius. Later I found I could shot 6" guns just as well and they weren't such a PIA to carry in the field. I can't shot 4" as well as the longer barrels. Which is me because if you put them on a rest they shoot as well. I have a least one 83/8" in each model more as a collection than use. I don't go out of my way to get them as I do 6" guns. If you are going to use a optic 83/8 is probably a small advantage. A couple more inches of barrel will balance the rig.image.jpeg

Wrangler
    Member #
    i found a 1950 K-22 at a very good price and later added a 1950 K-38, that was also at a good price and never looked back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maineiac, rob42049 and Ret_Eng like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

I'd say comparing any handgun to a S&W is tough. Not all of us can or could afford a S&W when the need for a handgun came up. I had been running in way to many black bears in the state forest back in the nineties when my passionate pursuit was outdoor hobbies like hiking, camping, backpacking, and snow shoeing. I went to a LGS and found a Ruger GP100 357mag with a 4.2" barrel that looked like a "new" handgun sitting in the used gun rack. The guy that owned it traded it in for a semi auto personal defense weapon. Being the semi autos were not permitted in the game lands when hunting, I decided on a revolver instead of a semi-auto.

The Ruger I bought was made in 1986, built like a tank, and has been solid as a rock since I bought it in 1996. Best investment I ever made $250.00. In hindsight, a bargain for how much gun I got for the $$$.

I never had the desire for a 22 anything, I wanted a handgun that could stop a black bear without getting into a much bigger and heavier handgun. Carrying a 44 Mag on my back pack belt would have been very difficult, and honestly, bears in PA average 200 lbs or less. So a 357 Mag was the right gun for me.

Some folks say the newer Ruger handguns are not as good as the older ones, imagine that!

Mike T.
    Maineiac and capt greg like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    MVC-251F.JPG

Pre-lock 617, 4 inch, 10 shot.
    rob42049 likes this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'm not into new revolvers of any make. From the money angle the price of a new Ruger is about the same as a S&W used in decent shape. I would rather buy the S&W with a little honest wear than by new. I would also be looking at m17s, m18s and m34s if I was looking for the best 22 revolvers that have been made. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links