Hankering for a new revolver
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Hankering for a new revolver

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hankering for a new revolver

I keep looking and longing for a 6 inch blued revolver in .357 mag. I would love a colt python 6 inch, but they demand a high price. I’ve looked at getting a S&W 586 as well. I already own a S&W 686 and like it a lot, but for some reason I now want a blued revolver. Anyone own both? Should I save up and try to get a good used python or go with a new 586 or slightly used 586? I’m just looking for advice from folks more knowledgeable about revolvers. I would use this gun to hunt deer at close range. My plan is to take a revolver and a rifle on hunts and just use the revolver if one comes in real close.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The way they price any decent revolver these days is crazy. If I didn't already have a few, I wouldn't pay current prices to get one. Good luck and I hope your pocket are deep!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Ditto to the above.

When today's revolver costs as much as yesterday's old used car, it is time to think about things.
    Marlinjunkie, MSUDAWG and Don845 like this.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    My first revolver was a 4" 586 that I wound up trading for a 6" 629. Wish I still had it, the prices have really gone haywire on those guns.
    Marlinjunkie and MSUDAWG like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The Python is a great pistol but, as you said, prices are unreasonable. The empty cardboard boxes are even selling for over $200!

I owned a Colt manufactured M1917 and a S&W model 1950. Both used .45 acp full moon clips and both were great shooters. But it always took me a while to get used to switching from one to the other because the cylinder releases moved in opposite directions. I used the 1950 in competition and it made a big difference there. It caused enough of a problem for me that I sold the Colt and continued for several years with just the 1950. Then, for a second unit I bought a S&W 1955 in .45 acp. I no longer own any of those pistols today.

Since you already shoot a S&W 686 I think you would be better off sticking with a .357 made by the same company. The Smith is just as good a shooter as the Colt and the price of a model 586 is reasonable. Buying a used 586 won't save enough over the price of a new 586 to justify buying second hand. Additionally, if you buy new you will know exactly what you are getting and it will be covered by warranty.
    Last edited by Grenadier; 06-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I love my S&W's and have four in 357. All of mine are stainless. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 that is super accurate (has adjustable sights). Of course the Ruger is single action only, that wouldn't be a handy cap in deer hunting.

Unless you are just stuck on a S&W or Colt, the Ruger Blackhawk comes blued with a 6" barrel. Great revolvers, and they're less expensive than either S&W's or Colt's.
    MSUDAWG, maki00, Tomray and 2 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had had a Python, back in the 80s. I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I found out. Super smooth action, beautiful deep finish. It was a pleasure to own and shoot. Also had a 586 for a while, a good working revolver but that was pretty much it. The 586 will do the job, the Pythons were special, but I hear you about the prices.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have never owned a Python, but do own 586s and 686s. The 586 and 686 are made to handle a steady diet of .357 magnum ammunition, as opposed to the slightly smaller K frame guns. As I understand it, the Python will eventually require gunsmithing to keep it tuned properly. I would go with the 586, but I am a S&W addict too.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Wrangler
    Member #
    Get a 586, send it to a good gunsmith for a trigger job. Take the money you saved and buy lots of reloading components, and shoot it a lot.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Back in the 70's I always wanted a Python but didn't have the money for one. I couldn't afford one as my children would whine if they didn't eat every day. I settled on a Ruger security six. I still have the Ruger and still want a Python. Put it back on my list and it was working it way to the top when my wife forgot to check the oil in her car and blew the engine. Was going to get a Python but she whines if she has to walk. My advice get one before the next whine.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links