Hankering for a new revolver - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Hankering for a new revolver

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    The Python is a great pistol but, as you said, prices are unreasonable. The empty cardboard boxes are even selling for over $200!

I owned a Colt manufactured M1917 and a S&W model 1950. Both used .45 acp full moon clips and both were great shooters. But it always took me a while to get used to switching from one to the other because the cylinder releases moved in opposite directions. I used the 1950 in competition and it made a big difference there. It caused enough of a problem for me that I sold the Colt and continued for several years with just the 1950. Then, for a second unit I bought a S&W 1955 in .45 acp. I no longer own any of those pistols today.

Since you already shoot a S&W 686 I think you would be better off sticking with a .357 made by the same company. The Smith is just as good a shooter as the Colt and the price of a model 586 is reasonable. Buying a used 586 won't save enough over the price of a new 586 to justify buying second hand. Additionally, if you buy new you will know exactly what you are getting and it will be covered by warranty.

I agree with Grenadier, OP. I used to own a Colt python back in the 70's and it was just too purdy to take into the woods and get mud on it. The bluing was rich and deep. The later models did not look half as good. I would just be happy with your stainless model, as you may wind up selling it later on anyway.

Those pythons are kinda like the Dirty harry models right now after the movie. They are waaay overpriced for what they are really worth.
    And remember, ballisticly, the target does not care how much you paid for it. Be it a $3,000 overpriced Python, or an old Security Six. That is incidentally the one i got to replace it with.

Funny though, I still remember its serial number after all these years. 89877E 6 inch blued.
    Proud Old Phart Member #358
    Team Enfield Member #43
    Team 45/70 #1910

Deadeye
    Member #
    If the OP wants a blued one for shooting a lot, stay away from the Python just because there is almost no one that can repair them. For light occasional shooting what ever fits his desire and wallet.

Wrangler
    Member #
    If you can find an older 586, the polish and bluing might be better, but nothing wrong with a newer one either.
    Any Smith will have a nice SA pull, just get a Wilson spring kit from Brownell's ( and a rebound spring tool ) to improve the DA pull.
    I like Ruger SA's, but only in .45. A .357 Ruger single action has the feel and balance of holding a brick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Youper View Post
    If the OP wants a blued one for shooting a lot, stay away from the Python just because there is almost no one that can repair them. For light occasional shooting what ever fits his desire and wallet.
    This is true - a friend had all sorts of trouble getting his Python worked on just a couple of years ago. Parts are scarce, even from Colt.

I'd look for a nice 586 in a heartbeat. My smaller Model 19 is a great revolver, but the 586 is better in many ways!

Regards, Guy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    If you can find an older 586, the polish and bluing might be better, but nothing wrong with a newer one either.
    Any Smith will have a nice SA pull, just get a Wilson spring kit from Brownell's ( and a rebound spring tool ) to improve the DA pull.
    I like Ruger SA's, but only in .45. A .357 Ruger single action has the feel and balance of holding a brick.
    You're right about the Ruger. I have a six inch barrel GP100. It is very accurate, but slow to draw. It is front heavy. I have been eyeballing a 686 with 3" barrel in Talo version to replace it for carry in the field while hunting and hiking.
    Texas Shooter and Grenadier like this.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Wrangler
    Member #
    I meant the Ruger Blackhawk, I've never held a GP-100, but I'd think those would be similar to the full lug 586/686.
    The Blackhawk with all the extra metal in the cylinder and barrel due to the small .36 bore, and it having an aluminum grip frame, is really muzzle heavy, balances no where near as good as the same gun in .45.
    I just mentioned the Blackhawk as someone else earlier suggested it.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't know...... I have several older S&Ws and like them a lot. I was reading an article not long ago on the new S&Ws. It is a recent article in one of the major gun magazines (probably Guns & Ammo or the American Rifleman) so you can probably find it.

I think the main focus was the new model 19. The revolver was significantly different from the earlier models. Many changes had been made to simplify production and reduce costs. One change that really stayed with me was having the barrel encapsulated by an exterior sleeve that included the ramp front sight. My recollection is that this change allowed S&W to quickly install the barrel without the need to index it for sight alignment. There were several other similar modifications.

I'm an old school guy when it comes to firearms. I have an appreciation for the craftsmanship of earlier days. If it were me, I would patiently search for an older model 19 with a six inch barrel. If you plan to shoot a lot of full loads, find an N-framed model 27.

In my youth, I did some whitetail hunting with my S&W model 19 w/ a 4 inch barrel. The factory ammo I used was the old 158 grain lead soft points. I would climb up in trees along game trails and ambush the bucks. I killed a couple that way. My impression was that the slow heavy bullet immediately dropped them but, you better shoot them a couple more times before they get up and run. That first deer led me on a long blood trail before I finally caught up with him. He was still on his feet. I managed to get off a good shot and he dropped. I was good with a pistol back then. :-) With the second deer a couple years later, I put in two more rounds before he could get back up. There's better ammo out there nowadays that will probably keep them down.

Good luck on your search!!

T.S.
    MSUDAWG, Ret_Eng and msharley like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan, Team 99 #29

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For me, it's something about the looks of a slightly worn bluing on a firearm that appeals to me. Given your choices... if you can find a nice used S&W 586 for a steal, I would jump on it. Otherwise I would buy new.

A friend has a beautiful Colt Python that he carried as backup while hunting. But every since the price on them spiked he stopped carrying it (but I think it was also an excuse for him to buy another handgun ).
    Texas Shooter and MSUDAWG like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I would choose the 586. For the price of Python you could have a great 586, custom leather and reloading components. Plus you would actually take the 586 shooting. I am not much on safe queens. Remember, reloading components could become very difficult to obtain in the near future.
    MSUDAWG likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I’ll second the S&W Model 19.

Mine is a 19-4, so it’s pinned & recessed making it more expensive ... but newer models can be found more affordably.

CDBC0C9B-6DF0-4360-8400-AC9164EA7DBE.jpeg

Great revolvers, and very accurate.
    M700, marlinluvr, sandog and 4 others like this.

#532 TEAM 30-30 ... #24 TEAM SOUTHPAW ... #42 TEAM WHEELGUNS ... #23 TEAM SEMI-AUTO

- Mike

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links