1911 officially outdated.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: 1911 officially outdated.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

1911 officially outdated.

I think I will sell all of my 1911's after reading this article. I will post it here for your reading enjoyment. Anyone got glocks for sale? https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is...nally-oudated/
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Lol whatever. I will never sell my 1911s.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Hilarious!

Can't have enough..........1911's!
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Waiting to be banned....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I like how the 45 ACP is always outdated because of modern advancements. Do those "advancements" not apply to the 45?
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I owned a few 1911's back in the day. I'll stick with my S&W M&P 45 Shield. I would just go with a M&P 2.0 45 or Walther PPQ 45 for a full size myself. I also own a lot of SA revolvers and love the nostalgia but personally not going to CCW with them. I would buy another 1911 if the right deal came along for nostalgia and fun, but it wouldn't be for CCW. It's like playing a round of golf with nothing but a 9 iron. You can do it, but why when there's a whole bag of other clubs better suited for the purpose? JMHOYMMV
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Obviously they never shot one of the pre-war national match 45's.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Love the 45 in my Colt 1911, had several over the years. This one is a duty gun from the 80's. Some 'reliability' work by a local pro, nothing more done to it, zero problems. That said, I'm paying attention to the kids around me (mostly ex-military) that are really ......well, damned better all around than we were. Looking (said looking) at the newer high capacity 9mm offerings for concealed carry. Understand now that the 9mm has come a long way. Not jumping the 1911 ship at all, nor ever will. I am however, paying attention toward other possible CC options. .....Why the concern after all these years? Not sure, but it's on my mind.

John

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have 5 Government models and a 70 series Gold Cup. They are not outdated in my house.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Wrangler
    Member #
    Something that has been in use for 108 years is not reliable?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The author is a vet, and instructor. He is entitled to his opinion. I however disagree with his conclusions. I have the same qualifications and maybe, thanks to more years a bit more. I can argue each of his points and add some. For one thing the 1911 is a simple design. It can be disassembled all the way, in your kitchen and parts replaced easily. Modern handguns are often way to complex. Less parts, more reliability, plus those parts are robust, not small and delicate. It is a fighting handgun, not an expresso machine.

Weight? Yes, they can be heavy. Weight decreases recoil and makes follow up shots easier. Lighter guns jump around. Capacity, very few gunfights need more than three of four rounds and the .45acp is a proven stopper. And yes, you get more in the 9mm and good, you may need them.

Each of his points can be countered. Too heavy for everyday carry? I carried a light weight commander for a spell, ally frame. Oh, that was also in 9mm which carried more rounds. The 1911 is effective and proven. In a defensive handgun thats gold dust as with any product or design.

Afterthought, when a gun jams or goes dry and the attacker is in your face, I would rather hit him with a steel club than a tupperware special. And another, the safety on the 1911 is superior to most. Glocks dont even have one. Think they do? Ask a gun grabber. Just maybe ask someone who has had a grabber. Oh right, that would be me. The 1911, and those with similar safeties can save your life.

There are alternatives, and some offerer advantages. But the bottom line, the 1911 has never been bettered.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 06-18-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links