1911 officially outdated. - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: 1911 officially outdated.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    I think I will sell all of my 1911's after reading this article. I will post it here for your reading enjoyment. Anyone got glocks for sale? https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is...nally-oudated/
    pm me I will take them off your hands
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sometimes I carry something lighter, more compact, but for over 20 years now I've used this 45 1911 Kimber. It's got 85,000+ rounds through it. Still shoots pretty well. Used it on SWAT, Patrol, Detectives, while I was in a gang unit, and for my own personal off-duty carry. I still carry it most days, now that I'm retired.

Are there good, modern guns available? Of course! I'm just kind of fond of the 1911's after several decades of carrying them. Life just wouldn't feel as good without having one handy.

Regards, Guy

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Sure - it's outdated and it has it's faults... No other modern pistol out there used the link..... It doesn't have multiple available ergonomic hand-fitting back straps - you either get the A-1 arched msh or you get the flat msh.. Nobody else uses multiple safeties anymore like the 1911... Etc.

But that's OK - all it's faults are well understood and the design is well trod ground. The USGI A1 pattern is great. Any problems it has are from bad or worn out parts - not the design.... And the A1 pattern 1911 will eat about any ammo you feed it... Mine will even feed whole mags full of empties without a hitch.... The irony is that while people complain about it - about 100% of 1911 "problems" are from defective or out of spec parts, not the design.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Cool 1911 pics !!

This thread needs pix!

I'm with Guy on this... Folk talk about 1911's "jamming".... I look at them... Malfunctions are exceeding rare...

I shoot thousand of rounds yearly in practice, hundreds in Matches....Average one (some years two) malfunctions a year... (usually operator error)

With a proper belt and good holster (maybe suspenders) one can comfortably carry a 1911 daily.

Later, Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M700, 256WinMag, Sambane and 6 others like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Waiting to be banned....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    These "experts" make my arse tired. With the exception of some of the low end clones jams with factory ammo are rare even in old worn 1911s. Jams are usually magazine problems or faulty handloads. I would say that 1911s are more forgiving of a less than perfect hand load than any of the plastic fantastics.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I guess I am outdated! I like old cars, tractors, firearms including 1911's and even more mature women---the wife is almost my age.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Gunfighter
    Member #
    45.jpg
    Still doing it's job. No vacation or breaks.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A trained man with a 1911 is well armed indeed!! I carried a 1911 for CCW for many years. I eventually retired it and now carry a Glock 30 in .45 ACP. I would never get rid of my 1911's and would not feel disavantaged in any gunfight.

He may have a point about heavy, but from a practical point, a few ounces is not going to be noticed by most. Besides, while the Glock 30 may weigh less (empty) than a 1911, once stoked with 11 rounds, the weight factor is not as great as it once was.

On another point, your dog will NEVER chew up the frame of your 1911!!
    mikom, Sambane, msharley and 6 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Being somewhat of a expert myself, I would say a stock plain jane 1911 govt in 45acp is the most dependable and durable auto that has been made. If this isn't so tell what is. Any time you start talking about weight in steel vs plastics in any item you are talking about a trade off. Weight for durability. Get serious, who thinks any of the plastic guns could survive as usable weapons. The US military 1911s from WW2 were used in three major wars and beyond. They took a licking and kept on ticking. Years of being packed in mud, rain and sand and still being repaired and reissued. Let the experts put that in there Glock and smoke it.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Nope, not outdated ....

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links