Sig P229 with Lee 175 gr SWC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig P229 with Lee 175 gr SWC

Tinhorn
    Member #

Sig P229 with Lee 175 gr SWC

Decided to try the Lee .401-175 TL mold out of my Sig P229. I casted up about 200 bullets and for the first time tried this powder coating business.

Loaded 50 bullets and tried W231 (4.5 gr), Accurate #2 (5.1 gr) and Unique (5.4 gr). All shot well without any malfunctions or any amount of leading.

Didn’t shoot my best, think I had just a bit too much coffee lol but the accurate #2 shot the best with a nice mild feeling recoil impulse.

I think this will make a great plinking/general use and maybe IDPA/USPSA load. Just thought I would share.
    V1Rot8 and gunscrewguy like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Here are a few pictures of the bullet, smashed one with a hammer and the powder coating appears to be well bonded to the bullet.
    V1Rot8 likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I might have to try powder coated bullets. I shoot almost all cast except 44mg in SBH for deer. Have excellent results in all calibers except 9mm. I have a Hi Power competition model that shoots jackets with target accuracy. I have tried a dozen different cast bullets of my own castings with standard lube and have bought some with the hard lube and none shoot worth a dime. Tried different powders and loads and it still won't do squat. Also tried different diameters to no avail. I had a 40 HP and a S&W MP and they both shot cast well.image.jpeg
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing that. Those are some fine looking bullets.

Tim

"The Cowboy Way"

I'm not really a cowboy but I still want to be one when I grow up.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Have you slugged your barrels? Slugging your barrel is critical for shooting cast accurately. You want your bullet to be .001 more then your barrel, IE- .431 barrel = .432 bullet. If they are under sized they will shoot terrible plus leading, if they are over they will shoot OK but will lead which leads to poor accuracy.

Slug your barrel, powder coat and size to .001 above barrel dia and I bet you will be surprised how well that $0.02 bullet will shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I might have to try powder coated bullets. I shoot almost all cast except 44mg in SBH for deer. Have excellent results in all calibers except 9mm. I have a Hi Power competition model that shoots jackets with target accuracy. I have tried a dozen different cast bullets of my own castings with standard lube and have bought some with the hard lube and none shoot worth a dime. Tried different powders and loads and it still won't do squat. Also tried different diameters to no avail. I had a 40 HP and a S&W MP and they both shot cast well.image.jpeg

Tinhorn
    Member #
    This P229 is in .40 S&W I assume? Congrats on finding some accurate cast bullets for this gun/caliper.

I have shot lots of hard cast 225 grain RN lead bullets through my P220 .45 without any issues.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yes it’s a 40 short and wimpy, guess I should have said so. I really like shooting cast bullets when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
    This P229 is in .40 S&W I assume? Congrats on finding some accurate cast bullets for this gun/caliper.

I have shot lots of hard cast 225 grain RN lead bullets through my P220 .45 without any issues.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Have done everything but try powder coat bullets, ain't my first rodeo. Have never shot a powder coat bullet in anything. Have tried everyone's pet Target load for 9mm to no avail.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Any feeding issues with the SWC lead bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by SD2546 View Post
    Yes it’s a 40 short and wimpy, guess I should have said so. I really like shooting cast bullets when I can.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I do not cast them myself but all I shout in a 40 are 175gr lswc. I have never ran into a feeding issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links