S&W 686 Accuracy - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: S&W 686 Accuracy

Gunfighter
    Member #
    686s have always been great shooters in my hands. 686s and GP100s are where it is at IMO. 357 magnum brass a 158gr LSWC with a good dose of Unique, HP38 or Blue Dot. Nice load with a decent pop but is not too loud or harsh,
    sandog and msharley like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When I started in law enforcement in 1972 I had a model 19 and carried it for years and shot thousands of rounds through it. When they came out I ordered and got a 586 with a 4in barrel and still have it also. They are fine weapons and extremely accurate. Never did care much for the stainless version when carrying it for on duty or off. Didn't like the possible glare it could put off. That is some fine shootin and enjoy that 686. It's a keeper.
    sandog likes this.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

Wrangler
    Member #
    I hear you about the glare. I tend to put Cerakote on my SS Mini-30's to reduce that.

This is a stainless Mini -30 that I gave to my daughter, it's covered in Tungsten Cerakote now, no glare.

Not sure I want to Cerakote my 686 though, it's too beautiful !
    msharley likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I gotta tell you a funny story but it is a true story. I ordered a custom carry 686 just like the one in the picture from the S&W Performance center. It has a PC logo and was number 290 of a run of 300. Had chamfered cylinder holes and bobbed hammer---slicked up double action and a ported 3inch barrel with a round butt. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. Tried all kinds of different ammo inclusive of 38 Spcl and no holes on paper at 25 yrds. Even had my buddies try it and same thing---no holes in the paper at 25 yrds. I finally compared it to a Model 66 I have with a 6inch barrel and every shot was in the black. I called S&W and told them the Custom carry was making bullets vanish in thin air. They asked me what range I was shooting at and when I told them 25 yrds they said it was designed for 7 yrds not 25 yrds. I told them that wasn't going to do me any good so they asked me what I wanted to do. I told them to give me a price for changing out the 3inch ported barrel to a Std 6 inch 686 barrel. They did the job inclusive of the cost of the 6 inch barrel for 160 bucks which I thought was a very good deal and they paid for the shipping back to me plus returned the 3in ported barrel. It is a tack driver now but looks weird because of the bobbed hammer spur and I converted it to a square butt grip. I never bought any snubbys after that.
    sandog likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I've made a few changes to my 686, and my Blackhawk .357 as well.
    I've always like the white outline rear and red ramp front, so I changed out the sights that came with the S&W. Especially now that I'm older, I can pick up the white/red easier.

The one issue I had with my 686 was a sticky cylinder upon opening. I did some reading on the S&W forum and it sounded like the center pin was too short. I ordered a new center pin from Brownell's and a Power Custom extractor rod tool to make it easier to take the cylinder apart.
    While I had the cylinder apart, I gave the chambers a very light chamfer with a 5/8" 45 degree cutter. Then gave the cylinder parts a good cleaning, lube and reassemble. The new pin was a bit longer, now my cylinder opens without any stickiness.

I sold the fat bottom Target grips, which I really dislike, and have been using a pair of Hogue rubber grips until I could decide on some wood ones. I ended up getting Hogue Rosewood grips, checkered and finger grooves. I like how darker wood looks with a stainless gun.
    The Hogue's are nice in that they are one piece, no seam in front or on the bottom.

The Blackhawk also has had a few changes. It was new and unfired when I got it from a Prescott dealer. He orders guns, and has his gunsmith BIL do a few upgrades to them to help sell them. Mine had a nice trigger job and a free spin pawl installed.
    But the hammer pull was super easy, almost too easy. When I got it, I wondered if it would set everything off reliably.
    It did set off all the .357 I tried, Hornady, HSM Bear Loads, and my reloads with W-W primers. But it failed to set off a couple Federal 9mm's used in the other cylinder.
    Stock hammer spring weight on the Blackhawks are 23 lbs. It had a 17 lb. one in it. I had a 19 lb. spring in my parts drawer so I put that one in.

I slipped in a white outline rear sight blade too. Changing the blade in the Ruger was way easier then swapping one in the Smith.
    One of these days I want to file the front ramp for a yellow plastic insert, for now I'm just using yellow Testors paint on the front ramp.
    The chambers on the Ruger are pretty sharp edged, you really have to wiggle rounds to get them to drop in. I tried the 5/8th's cutter that I used on the S&W, but it was too wide for the Ruger due to the fixed indexing ratchet in the middle being in the way. So I ordered a smaller 1/2" cutter from Brownell's to chamfer the chambers in the Blackhawk.
    And the Ruger got longer grips made from Mesquite, as I spoke of above in the "Extended grips for the Blackhawk" thread I did.

Both revolvers have to be re-sighted now, I'm really looking forward to shooting them again, but we're having 6 days of rain in a row, so It'll have to wait for now. Here's an indoor pic of the .357's with their new grips:

Wrangler
    Member #
    Those grips on the Blackhawk are beautiful. You have two nice revolvers. A nice large frame magnum revolver is a real treasure to own IMHO.
    sandog likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Whitecloud. Although I like a longer grip frame on the Ruger like a Bisley or Super Blackhawk frame, I don't have real big hands, and the Mesquite grips came way thicker than stock grips.
    I noticed that the wood doesn't meet the metal up front near the hammer pivot pin, and you can see the base of the hammer through the gap.
    I contacted the owner of Texas grips, Henry Lance, and sent him a picture. And also told him I wasn't expecting the grips to be that thick.
    He apologized, is making me a new pair, and said he's going to thin them down for me as well ! Great customer service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links