S&w m&p 45
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: S&w m&p 45

Deadeye
    Member #

S&w m&p 45

I am a 1911 kind of guy, although I have quite a few revolvers as well. But 45 ACP is my favorite and in a 1911. But I was thinking I should get with the 21st century and get one of those new fangled polymer auto pistols. So I went to my local gun shop and looked over a Glock and a M&P. I have to say, the triggers are probably the biggest complaint I would have. I did not like the Glock at all. It is just not my style. But I liked the M&P better, it seemed to be well built and the slide was nicely sculpted. But what say you, do these things hold up and are they as accurate as a 1911? Not sure, I might just get a Les Baer or something similar. Let me know what you think.
    edcknives, Golphin, DRSLYR and 1 others like this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have been considering the same. Though to fill that void I recently purchased a MP 45 Shield to placate the "bigger" handgun void for now with the probable intentions for going to a 10 round 45 later on. The Shield will be my primary carry piece for now. Sig makes a good gun but I think the S&W is the way to go. If you can find a range that will allow you to test fire one is the best way to determine it IMO.
    marlinluvr likes this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I bought an M&P 40 5" a little over a month ago. While the trigger isn't in the same realm as my 1911 I can already shoot it as well. One nice thing is that the grip angle of the M&P is the same as the 1911. I've owned a number of double stack handguns and the M&P has been the best fit thus far for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I got the M & P Compact 1.0(older version) in .45 acp a few weeks ago. It shoots and works great. It's accurate when I shoot it at 25 yds. I like the fact that it has a 4" barrel, and holds 8 rounds in the mag. It's a smaller, lighter 1911 for all practical purposes. I'm also with you on the trigger. I don't like Glocks actual trigger as I seem to get bit on my trigger finger when firing. I know that a lot of people complain about the hinged trigger on the M & Ps, but for me, I don't even notice it when firing. I really like this pistol.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    M&P has an upgrade aftermarket trigger from Axis I believe. I'm shooting a XDM 45 with a PRP trigger and it is superb! Not 1911 superb but gets close.
    Golphin likes this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have the M&P full size .45acp that I bought new abut 5 years ago. I upgraded the trigger but other than that I have done nothing but shoot it. Never had a problem with it and it is accurate. I like the 1911's better than pretty much any other pistol other than maybe a revolver and would not trade a nice 1911 or revolver for the M&P 45 but as a addition to those it is great. It is the gun I keep in my truck and in my office.

45 m&p.jpg
    drinva, edcknives, Magwa45 and 3 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I am a 1911 guy and fell into a Sprinfield XD 45 deal. It isn't as intrinsically accurate and even with some work on the trigger will not be as good as my 1911's. With that being said I can shoot as well in rapid fire practice as my 1911's. I really like the XD even though I din't think I would tell I shot it. Maybe you can find a range that rents them and try a few of them out to see if you like them. Buying a Less Baer wouldn't be to bad either!!!
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also have the M&P Full Size 45acp. WONDERFUL gun!!!! Arguably the best design made today. Shoots like a dream, never fails, easy to handle, decent sights, very accurate.

We shoot empty fabric softener jugs at 50 yards all the time. The trigger gets better with use, I did NOT alter my trigger.

This applies to all handguns: If you learn to shoot well with a stock trigger, you learn to shoot anything well and become a better shooter.

DR
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    April 3rd they just came out with the 45 Shield with a 4" barrel in 3 configurations. Almost glad I didn't know it before buying my 45 PC Shield 3.3". Would have made the decision so much harder between the two.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...d-m20-4-barrel

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-optics-ready

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...d-barrel-slide
    Lever Jac and gunscrewguy like this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    I have the M&P full size .45acp that I bought new abut 5 years ago. I upgraded the trigger but other than that I have done nothing but shoot it. Never had a problem with it and it is accurate. I like the 1911's better than pretty much any other pistol other than maybe a revolver and would not trade a nice 1911 or revolver for the M&P 45 but as a addition to those it is great. It is the gun I keep in my truck and in my office.

45 m&p.jpg
    That sounds right to me. I would not care about getting a polymer gun messed up, but one of my nice 1911s is not gonna be a truck gun!
    edcknives, marlinluvr and Golphin like this.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links