Uberti SAA's ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Uberti SAA's ?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    dhansen,
    I have the same pistol, but with a 5 1/2" barrel...............They are becoming very pricey, now that Colt is no longer making them.
    WOW, nice grips on your New Frontier! Are those factory grips?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    I saw that.............looks very much like a Colt New Frontier, at less than 1/3 the price............

Tom
    Too bad the Callahan is only available in 44 Mag.
    David Ch'iyaan-iilini

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have 5 ROA's, 7 1/2" SS AS, 7 1/2" blued AS, 7 1/2" blued FS, 5 1/2" blued FS and 5 1/2" SS FS. All of my ROA's have both Taylor and Kirst conversion cylinders in 45 acp and 45 LC for each one. Being 3 screw frames you load 5. I have 3 Uberti 1858's, 5 1/2" blued FS (Kirst converted with both 45 acp and 45 LC with loading gate), 5 1/2" SS FS (Kirst converted with both 45 acp and 45 LC with loading gate). The conversions only have 5 chambers as the 6th is a designated rest for carrying safely. 5 1/2" blued FS with a designated Taylors 45 LC and 45 acp cylinder. 6 cylinder chambers on it but it has safety notches. I won't put anything but lead through the Uberti's as the BP steel though milled is not tempered.

I will shoot jacketed through the ROA's as they are same as the Blackhawk's. Being conversion cylinders, obviously you don't wan't to shoot "hot" loads, but they will take what is appropriate for their use IMO. I have a 357 BH and a Single six and a single nine, I do really like the versatility of being able to shoot either LC or acp through them. The ROA's were selling for ridiculous money for awhile until recently when they started making limited runs of them again. Still not cheap by any means. There's something about a SA revolver.

I think your focus on getting a Uberti is a good idea. The Pietta's frames are investment casted where the Ubert'is are milled and the inherent strength in the milled is noteworthy.
    flatsneck, M1Riflenut and Tomray like this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by edcknives View Post
    I think your focus on getting a Uberti is a good idea. The Pietta's frames are investment casted where the Ubert'is are milled and the inherent strength in the milled is noteworthy.
    Are you speaking from experience, are you a metallurgist, or is this something you read? I own both, and I'm here to tell you, Uberti is a fine firearm, but the steel frame is very soft. Below you will see the Uberti weak point, no hardened steel firing pin bushing. After a while, the primer slamming back causes an indentation. The primer extrudes into the indent, and the cylinder hangs up. I had two Ubertis do this to me. So I invented the tooling (a long drill bit and an end mill) and installed a hardened steel firing pin bushing. I went down through the barrel and cut the frame by hand, no power tools needed, and I'm telling you, the steel is easily cut. Soft enough for a brass primer cup to cause a dent.

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 11.33.51 PM.png Picture0301190830_1.jpg Picture0301190831_1.jpg Picture0301190547_1.jpg Picture0301190548_1.jpg Picture0301190541_1.jpg

Gunsmiths get $200 to do this repair. I have 10 bucks in the drill bit, 20 in the end mill, and 10 dollars to Taylors for the hardened steel bushing. So you now have a first hand account of Uberti frame steel hardness. Skeeter Skelton mentioned Uberti 'firing pin washout' 40 years ago, and it still happens. Pietta SAA revolvers come with the hardened insert factory installed. When shooting Italian, keep the pressures at SAAMI 14,000 psi or below.
    The Uberti stainless steel SAA's come with the hardened bushing factory installed. It's the casehardened frames come without.

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 2.32.07 PM.jpg

Here's a severe case of Uberti firing pin donut. This belongs to one of our members, he had his gunsmith heliarc weld, then smooth and re-drill.
    Last edited by rob42049; 04-14-2019 at 01:56 AM.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    Are you speaking from experience, are you a metallurgist, or is this something you read? I own both, and I'm here to tell you, Uberti is a fine firearm, but the steel frame is very soft. Below you will see the Uberti weak point, no hardened steel firing pin bushing. After a while, the primer slamming back causes an indentation. The primer extrudes into the indent, and the cylinder hangs up. I had two Ubertis do this to me. So I invented the tooling (a long drill bit and an end mill) and installed a hardened steel firing pin bushing. I went down through the barrel and cut the frame by hand, no power tools needed, and I'm telling you, the steel is easily cut. Soft enough for a brass primer cup to cause a dent.

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 11.33.51 PM.png Picture0301190830_1.jpg Picture0301190831_1.jpg Picture0301190547_1.jpg Picture0301190548_1.jpg Picture0301190541_1.jpg

Gunsmiths get $200 to do this repair. I have 10 bucks in the drill bit, 20 in the end mill, and 10 dollars to Taylors for the hardened steel bushing. So you now have a first hand account of Uberti frame steel hardness. Skeeter Skelton mentioned Uberti 'firing pin washout' 40 years ago, and it still happens. Pietta SAA revolvers come with the hardened insert factory installed. When shooting Italian, keep the pressures at SAAMI 14,000 psi or below.
    The Uberti stainless steel SAA's come with the hardened bushing factory installed. It's the casehardened frames come without.

Here's a severe case of Uberti firing pin donut. This belongs to one of our members, he had his gunsmith heliarc weld, then smooth and re-drill.
    THANK YOU ROB,

That's good info, and not addressed in the Uberti catalog................I will expect the "Competition" model to have a FP Bushing..............After all, a competition model is prone to get shot a lot.........

Thanks Again,

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I have had 3 ubertis and they have all been fine guns. I did not know about the firing pin bushing, that is good to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    dhansen and rob42049 like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dhansen View Post
    WOW, nice grips on your New Frontier! Are those factory grips?
    dhansen,

Thanks for the comment ................Yes, those grips are "factory".

When I ordered the NF thru the Colt Custom Shop in 2010 **, I wanted an upgrade on the grips. Those are 1 piece Stags.

I also requested the std 2 pc. Walnut grips and pin be included for field use, but I have never mounted or used them............

Re: The Callahan................44 Mag doesn't appeal to me in an SAA...........

** The Colt Custom Shop was being managed by a good friend and co-worker from Marlin at that time, so I had a slight advantage.

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey Tomray I have talked to these folks several times. I believe they may build you exactly what you spec out. Their running iron hammers are lowered and they will install them on other guns if you ask. They have tuned actions in their deluxe models and may even have something with adjustable sights. Here's their website. https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/. I know they will answer your questions on anything 1873 related.
    Tomray, dhansen, rob42049 and 3 others like this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post

I remember seeing you post this originally and don't disagree with any of it. The internals I don't doubt have those issues. My information is that the frames are made as I described unless that has changed. The propensity for "stretching" more is there with investment casting vs milled. Neither Uberti or Pietta tempers their steel in these so the softness will be there in both relative to a Ruger. The Ruger steel is actually of lower "quality" I have been told but because it is tempered makes all the difference in the world. It's an extra more costly step that dramatically changes the gun. If I am wrong I am more than happy to be proven so. It was from a lot of research I did related to this about 6 or so years ago. I have no real skin in the game either way. I also own a few Pietta's, though they are the smaller caliber BP versions. Uberti's generally cost more and I have been told their CNC and QC is more demanding than the Pietta's. I am not a Chevy vs Ford kind of guy and as challenging as it is to glean accurate data from the internet it is the best of what I came across without writing a thesis on it. JMHOYMMV
    Tomray, M1Riflenut and Sweetwater like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Rob, Thanks for sharing your photos and your expertise.

When talking Uberti, the others importers come to mind. Like Taylors, Cimarron, Pietta and EMF made by Pietta. There are others. It gets confusing knowing who and where these parts and guns are manufactured and assembled. And who is making modifications before the firearm is sold. Add to it you have Cabelas selling their house brand of these Italian made units. And marketing telling you that they, the importer, tune the gun in house prior to selling it.
    rob42049, Tomray and M1Riflenut like this.
    David Ch'iyaan-iilini

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My understanding is that the 3 major manufacturers Uberti, Pietta and EMF make them for everyone else (store brands and distributors) and some are tuned and polished at the factory and some are done so by the distributors in house before selling) Pedersoli and Traditions are also in the mix but those are with long guns. It's similar to lawn mowers where 90% of the parts and or units are made by MTD and the remaining 10% are separate from all that. The percentage ratio I am sure is different with what is being discussed here but the dynamic is still similar.
    dhansen and M1Riflenut like this.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links