Uberti SAA's ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: Uberti SAA's ?

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have a nice collection of Italians, both Uberti and Pietta. All are more accurate than my old Colt. Better chambers and more consistent size chamber mouths. No transfer bars/retractable firing pins for me. I carry five. All are in .45 Colt, and all are loaded below SAAMI 14,000 psi. Smooth as glass. Absolutely 100% no complaints.

Ooooops, one P.S.- Piettas have hardened steel recoil shield inserts. Also called firing pin bushings. Some Ubertis do, some don't. I'm partial to the bushing, had two firing pin 'washouts' with Uberti, and had to repair them myself. Still worth it, though. The accuracy will make you smile.
    Last edited by rob42049; 04-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Tomray likes this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Hey Tomray this maybe the cats meow to you. Short stroked and tuned. Grips on the thing need to go. https://www.uberti-usa.com/short-stroke-sass-pro
    flyfisher66048 likes this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I had one for a while that had some gizmo in the hammer that allowed 6 in the wheel. I tested it and while it worked I stuck to loading 5 beans in the wheel. Accuracy was good and surprising with the extra .45 ACP cylinder it was excellent. I grew up with Colts and old model Rugers so loading five and the hammer on the empty chamber just comes naturally with me. I still do it on my new model Rugers. Besides, when shooting at the range of just plinking rocks and stuff out in the desert, a box or 50 rounds comes out even at the end. My favorite is a Colt SAA 4.75" barrel that someone worked over for fast draw. They screwed up the half cock notch and I had to recut that but it's accurate, doesn't weight a ton like my 4 5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Works just fine where I'm just trail hiking. The 250 gr. Keith bullet over a stiff load of Unique should handle anything I might run into out in the desert. I even take it most of the time when I hike the local mountain where the chance of a Black bear or Mountain Lion is a definite possibility.
    The only reason I sold that Uberti I had was it was nickel plated and the plating was peeling off. Looked ugly. Thinking back, I should have had the plating removed and the gun blued. What's that they say about hindsight?
    Paul B.
    rob42049, Tomray and Sweetwater like this.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    I had one for a while that had some gizmo in the hammer that allowed 6 in the wheel. I tested it and while it worked I stuck to loading 5 beans in the wheel. Accuracy was good and surprising with the extra .45 ACP cylinder it was excellent. I grew up with Colts and old model Rugers so loading five and the hammer on the empty chamber just comes naturally with me. I still do it on my new model Rugers. Besides, when shooting at the range of just plinking rocks and stuff out in the desert, a box or 50 rounds comes out even at the end. My favorite is a Colt SAA 4.75" barrel that someone worked over for fast draw. They screwed up the half cock notch and I had to recut that but it's accurate, doesn't weight a ton like my 4 5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Works just fine where I'm just trail hiking. The 250 gr. Keith bullet over a stiff load of Unique should handle anything I might run into out in the desert. I even take it most of the time when I hike the local mountain where the chance of a Black bear or Mountain Lion is a definite possibility.
    The only reason I sold that Uberti I had was it was nickel plated and the plating was peeling off. Looked ugly. Thinking back, I should have had the plating removed and the gun blued. What's that they say about hindsight?
    Paul B.
    Paul,
    yeah, the nickle models all look great when they are new...............Time, solvents and use have a way of attacking the finish.........that's why I'm choosing Stainless............

Electricmo,

I noticed that short stroke model, but I'm not looking for a Race gun........Just a nice smooth conventional fire control system......Thanks for the suggestion, though..........

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 04-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I don't have the model you're looking at but I do have 4 Uberti's, 2 revolvers and 2 rifles. All of them are top notch on fit, finish and action smoothness. I wouldn't hesitate getting another one!
    flatsneck, Tomray and rob42049 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    I don't have the model you're looking at but I do have 4 Uberti's, 2 revolvers and 2 rifles. All of them are top notch on fit, finish and action smoothness. I wouldn't hesitate getting another one!

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your views as a Uberti owner / user on this........

Tom
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you want a beefier cylinder than the old SAA, the Uberti ain't your gun. Buy a Ruger. If you want as close a replica to a Colt as you're going to find, buy the Uberti. No, they are not exact copies, but very close. And very well-made. And very accurate. Mine's a Flat Top Target, and is the most accurate centerfire handgun I have ever owned -- and I have owned a lot!
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    If you want a beefier cylinder than the old SAA, the Uberti ain't your gun. Buy a Ruger. If you want as close a replica to a Colt as you're going to find, buy the Uberti. No, they are not exact copies, but very close. And very well-made. And very accurate. Mine's a Flat Top Target, and is the most accurate centerfire handgun I have ever owned -- and I have owned a lot!

Pisgah,

I've owned plenty of Rugers in all offered calibers............ Black Hawks, Super Black Hawks and a couple of Single Six's..............I did a lot of shooting with "Max and above" loads in those guns...........I'm not looking to do that anymore.....and I'm no longer a Ruger fan, especially of what they offer this week.

I know what I want this pistol to do, and it's NOT launching big bullets at "crazy adolescent" velocities...........Been there, decades ago............

DON"T tell me something " something ain't my gun" when I know what kind of gun I want, what kind of loads I'll use in it and what I expect it to do for me in the field.......................

I don't recall ever saying anything about wanting a Beefier cylinder...........What I want, is to safely carry 6 rounds...My Colts and USFA's won't do that............

Having owned my Colts and USFA's for decades , I know what I want, and I thought I explained my reasoning more than once in my previous posts...........

Thanks for your reply..............I've been in this Rodeo a long time, too............

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    Pisgah,

I've owned plenty of Rugers in all offered calibers............ Black Hawks, Super Black Hawks and a couple of Single Six's..............I did a lot of shooting with "Max and above" loads in those guns...........I'm not looking to do that anymore.....and I'm no longer a Ruger fan, especially of what they offer this week.

I know what I want this pistol to do, and it's NOT launching big bullets at "crazy adolescent" velocities...........Been there, decades ago............

DON"T tell me something " something ain't my gun" when I know what kind of gun I want, what kind of loads I'll use in it and what I expect it to do for me in the field.......................

I don't recall ever saying anything about wanting a Beefier cylinder...........What I want, is to safely carry 6 rounds...My Colts and USFA's won't do that............

Having owned my Colts and USFA's for decades , I know what I want, and I thought I explained my reasoning more than once in my previous posts...........

Thanks for your reply..............I've been in this Rodeo a long time, too............

Tom
    Curious as to what you are referring to?
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Tom, I look at the Uberti floating firing pin safety as an improvement on the revolver. I have Uberti's older style of hammer block on at least one of my Uberti revolvers and I do not like it. Too often It is blocking the hammer travel when I thought I had it in the detent position for fire. I like the black powder frame Uberti myself, but that is not what you want for your desire to carry six in the cylinder. I think you made a great choice. The new safety system on Uberti revolvers has been around since 2016 and you do not see a rash of complaints about the operation and performance. You will hear complaints about not liking it based on personal preference and not based on function or reliability. I have noticed on my Uberti revolvers three different styles of cylinder base pins used, and Uberti makes changes that they do not always publish. Will be looking forward to see how you like your new revolver and hope you will post a range report.
    Tomray and Sweetwater like this.
    David Ch'iyaan-iilini

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links