Uberti SAA's ? - Page 12
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Uberti SAA's ?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Wow! That is enough for me. I won't even buy a 22. I'll stick to my Rugers. Clunky and heavy as they may be. LOL.45 colt (1).jpg.45 Colt Vaquero.jpg
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I posted earlier in this thread about Taylor & Co's open house that they sponsor each May. I talk more in detail about that here:
    dhansen and edcknives like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    Plowboy, miljimbob, Pisgah,

BUT...........My desire to carry 6 rounds is what drives me to want to try this new design.............I like the fact there is nothing that the shooter needs to move/defeat/slide or disengage to fire the pistol........seems like pure simplicity to me........

Now, I trying to get written permission, or a permit here in CT to wear that Poncho out among the citizenry !.........................LOL!

My Best ,

Tom
    There's not a thing in the world wrong with the goal of more safely carrying that 6th round. Ruger has sold a whole lot of guns with transfer bar....quite a few to me. I own a couple transfer bar Rugers still, and have no intention of parting with them. I also currently own a transfer bar Pietta that works fine, but I'd let it go today to get a fixed firing pin 4-clicker with the same 7.5" barrel length in .45 Colt.

I prefer SAA pattern pistols as close to possible as orginally designed. Just a personal, subjective preference.

As for the poncho in CT...wear it and look everyone in the eye. I don't have any negative feedback at all here in NW Alabama,....but we are awash in Mess-icans. A few folks may think I wear it to "appropriate their culture" since they've appropriated our county, out city, our industries, our schools, our housing and business real estate market, closed down the labor and delivery wing of our local hospital, etc...
    Tomray and edcknives like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    The load used was one I've fired a few thousand of in the last few years, and was by no means a stout load.
    Starline brass with a 250 gr. Oregon trail bullet, and 7.4 grains of Universal.
    Universal is similar to but a bit slower burning than Unique, would have been like 7.2 grains of Unique. A 830 fps. load.
    I loaded that batch up in Montana last summer, and my Little Dandy pistol measure was down at my Arizona place, so I threw the charges light out of my Duo measure and trickled them up to 7.4 on my scale. I check powder levels multiple times before seating, and a double charge would have almost filled the case and got noticed.

I posted this over on Castboolit forum, and got several pages of speculation as to what happened, but the most plausible was that the second shot might have left enough unburnt powder in the barrel, which when combined with the third shot was an overload.
    Dangit!

7.4 of Universal in below the 7.8 gr "cowboy max" Hodgdon lists. I expect that it was leaving unburned powder at that charge, mine still left some with 7.8 gains. I've found 8.2 grains of Universal under a Lee .452-255RF (actually weighs about 263-gr on average)to be about perfect...been shooting it through Pietta and Uberti SAA clones for a long while, as well as through my Uberti 1873 rifle....without a single issue.

I loaded 8.5 for awhile, but settled on 8.2. I also ran that same 8.2 load through my weaker Kirst Konverted Pietta .44 cap and ball conversion to .45 Colt....not an issue.

Of course, loading is serious business and I don't advise anyone to duplicate my load without all the necessary load work up and research, but I don't believe your powder charge of 7.4 gr was likely what caused that damage. 7.4 is still ..."mild" and below full power-standard pressure...which these guns are fully capable of handling all day.

I'm also very doubtful of enough powder being left in the barrel to somehow get behind the next bullet traveling down the bore and jack it up OVER 1-full grain of powder weight. I've shot near 200 charged at 8.5 through one of my piettas so fast I had to let the gun cool before I could stand reloading it with my ungloved hand...no problem.
    Last edited by plowboysghost; 04-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    dhansen and sandog like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sandog,

I'm glad you weren't hurt!

Any structural failure with a firearm can be both scary and sobering............

I used to view quite a few similar results on 1895 45-70 Marlins when I was employed at Marlin...........

In some cases, the actual Ammo was present for further load confirmation and testing. In other cases, the owner refused to provide ammo, yet blamed the rifle.

In the most memorable of Marlin cases, the results were very similar in appearance, and thru independent lab testing and ammo confirmations, it was confirmed that the cause was an instantaneous catastrophic ignition (explosion)..............NOT a controlled ignition within the case...............in all of these cases, the cause was determined (but not confirmed) to be caused by either the wrong type of propellant or too much propellant...........

In your case, the explosion was instantaneous, and looks to have taken place completely within the cylinder...........

I have seen similar cases, with Rugers, S&W's Colts and other makes, both revolvers and a couple of 1911 semi-autos* (* one at my own range by a person with known very sloppy reloading habits)........In each case, the results were similar.............The explosion took place completely within the cartridge case/chamber itself.......

In some cases, it seemed to be a case of the shooter wanting to launch heavy bullets at very high velocities. In other cases, it was confirmed that the load, and/or type of Propellant was in error.

I'm NOT saying you did anything wrong.........

I am saying that in my past experience, that looks to be a catastrophic instantaneous explosion...........I have admonished a few 45-70 shooters who were building Boutique Ammo to be careful with their loading habits, because "Upon ignition, they are releasing a CONTROLLED explosion just a few inches in front of their face"..............

Seeing your results in NO way would turn me away from a firearm that has been in manufacture by a many reputable companies for so many years...........What it will do, is remind me why I have always refused to shoot anyone else's hand loads.

Thanks for posting this for me and others to see and read.............it is always very sobering, and I am glad you or others were not hurt.

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 04-18-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    dhansen, sandog, edcknives and 3 others like this.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sandog said:

"I loaded that batch up in Montana last summer, and my Little Dandy pistol measure was down at my Arizona place, so I threw the charges light out of my Duo measure and trickled them up to 7.4 on my scale."

Sandog,

When is the last time your scale was checked with a set of weights to confirm accuracy?

I check my scale every time I zero out the balance Bar before every reloading session.

A set of scale weights are cheap insurance to insure that the scale is in compliance.

Tom
    dhansen and Sweetwater like this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    What's the commonality of all blown up firearms you see on the Internet? Handloads. Nobody ever posts pics of guns that had been instantly disassembled by factory loads.

I will continue to dip powder charges with my homemade dippers, and flashlight check before seating the slug. I'll have 100% control of what goes in the primed cartridge case, and dipper volume never changes. As simple as possible leaves less room for Murphy to enter the process. As a lifelong mechanic, I have a natural distrust of any and all machinery.

Glad the Sandog is OK.
    dhansen, Tomray, Travlin and 1 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    What is discouraging is in the photos that Sandog posted, is the metal being used for the frame. I am sure cost of manufacturing comes into play. If and I said IF, a Colt or Ruger would have come apart like that, what would the metal area look like? Is it the same cast looking frame or a solid milled frame? As a Uberti owner I think those photos cast some shadow on what I think of the italian made revolvers. I am not pointing blame or cause, but just curious as to the frame construction by various makers.
    Da Duke and edcknives like this.
    David Ch'iyaan-iilini

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dhansen View Post
    What is discouraging is in the photos that Sandog posted, is the metal being used for the frame. I am sure cost of manufacturing comes into play. If and I said IF, a Colt or Ruger would have come apart like that, what would the metal area look like? Is it the same cast looking frame or a solid milled frame? As a Uberti owner I think those photos cast some shadow on what I think of the italian made revolvers. I am not pointing blame or cause, but just curious as to the frame construction by various makers.
    dhansen,

I'm not ready to agree with that statement, yet.

I don't think the Ruger, or any other MFGer's frame would look very much different to the naked eye. Even a forged part that is blown up in that fashion looks the same.......when it lets go, it does so along the atomic boundries.

Rugers are Investment cast *, but I don't know anything about how the Uberti's frames are made (I "assume" their frames too, are investment cast, but I "suspect" the cylinders are milled from bar stock /....dunno)....... However, I trust the integrity of today's investment cast parts when used under normal conditions.............All of these firearms are Proofed, anyway............

* GOD knows I have shot some very HOT ammo thru some of my Rugers over the years.........

Is a forged part stronger?.........yes, most times the forged grain structure is smaller, but specific Heat Treating can change the size of the grain structure if that is what is desired.......

And if Forged parts are not properly HT'd, their strength can actually be reduced, too ...........

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 04-18-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    dhansen and Sweetwater like this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Wrangler
    Member #
    I use my check weights before, during and after the powder charging process. They are an RCBS set of 5 weights that go down to 1/2 grain.

Someone mentioned that maybe I used Titegroup instead of Universal. I don't know how they knew what powders I have on hand, but Titegroup isn't one of them. I used Titegroup at one time, but haven't had any around for maybe 10 years.
    Having seen accidents caused by grabbing the wrong powder, or by double charges, I'm careful about those things.
    Universal is the only fast burning powder I have, so not likely I grabbed the wrong one.

I'll likely never know exactly what happened.

I agree with not wanting to shoot ammo loaded by someone else, and I also wonder if the guy that owned that Cimarron before me had shot some stiff loads through it. I've never gone above 8.0 grains of Unique or Universal in any of the Uberti's I've owned.
    I was aware of the strength limitations of the Peacemaker design and how thin those cylinder walls were, especially in .45 Colt, so I was never one to push it by loading hotter.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links