• 1 Post By RafterH
  • 1 Post By Leverforever
  • 2 Post By wrench man
  • 3 Post By flatsneck

Thread: Uberti SAA Colts

Deadeye
    Member #

Uberti SAA Colts

I am kind of a wheel gun freak and have been buying a few Blackhawks recently, in .45 Colt and .357 Magnum. I do not do Cowboy Action shooting, but I have been thinking of Uberti's Birdhead Colts or maybe one of their Remington remakes, an 1875 Frontier. I am familiar with Uberti's blackpowder percussion guns, but don't have any of their cartridge revolvers. How does the quality stand up? Any problems with these? I hand load and don't plan on any chamber blowing high pressure loads. Thanks for your input.
    Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum (pre-Remlin)
    Team 1894 Member #238
    Member Group Bangin' Blackhawk's
    Team Wheelguns #94

Wrangler
    Member #
    I Have the Uberti - Colt SAA 5 1/2 in barrel in 38-40. I really like it

Phil

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have three in .45 Colt, the first was a Cattleman brass frame 1873 with a 5 " barrel, next was a Taylors (Uberti marketed by Taylors) originally 4 3/4", now 3 1/2" with standard 1873 hammer installed, and a Cimmaron Evil Roy 4 3/4" (not pictured). I like them all, and all are nicely balanced hanguns that feel natural in your hand, much more natural in my opinion than Ruger Blackhawks/ Vaqueros( have 3 Blackhawks and a New Vaquero Sheriff also). From the factory they have all needed a little stoning of the internals, the Cattleman needed Wolff Springs, the Cimmaron and Taylors came with acceptable springs. I'm pretty particular about my handguns and particularly particular about my single actions... The forcing cones on all three are out of spec(cut too deep) as measured with gauges, and the angles have been varied and the surfaces of the forcing cones have been quite rough.... I will pick up the Cattleman and Evil Roy tomorrow, they have had the barrels set back, forcing cones trued and cut to 11 degrees, and the ejector rod housings shortened accordingly... My gunsmith does amazing work, after his magic, my Taylors is very accurate and a wonderful easy to pack little package that shoots 255 gr SWC's at 950 fps..

How much work they need from the factory depends on how particular you are, I think the best of the bunch from the factory was the Cattleman, but it needed more work internally to decrease resistance and stress to improve functional longevity...If you are reasonably handy you can do this yourself. I read a few tune up articles, and watched a few youtube how to's and I was very impressed with the results I was able to achieve.

If I was to do it over again I would either buy a cattleman and be happy or order one from Longhunter Supply with a tune up and 11 deg forcing cone by them.

Cattleman

Taylors

james
    Last edited by picketpin; 12-08-2014 at 03:24 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have a Cimarron bird head .45 that was given to me, It was new when I got it and right out of the box, it worked as well as a US Firearms clone and a 1960s vintage Colt in my posession. The quality is very high with the Uperti guns. You might rethink the bird head grip though; it is very difficult to shoot well and control for repeat shots. I bought the remains of a cattleman that a fellow blew up and put the brass frame on the Cimarron and like it much better though the brass frame is cheesy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have a 45 Colt Uberti and love it. It points extremely well in my hand. In some respects, I like it more than my Ruger NMBH.

I bought mine used so don't know the complete history, but it is very smooth with a crisp trigger.
    picketpin likes this.
    1981 Glenfield .30-30
    2007 444 Marlin

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for supper. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

BANNED
    Montana...but temporarily in CA being Censored!
    Member #
    I got this back in August. It's the Uberti 1873 Cattleman 5.5 inch in 32-20 and I really like the feel. No work done to it, and out of the box it shoots a little low and windage is dead on. I will correct this with a file and some Oxpho. It is worth every penny I paid, and would buy another!

Marlin-Uberti 32-20 008.JPG
    picketpin likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I don't know how the single action revolvers with the birds head grips can be held firm enough to shoot especially in the big bores like 45.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I got the GF a Cattleman just like the one in the first pic picketpin posted, thought is was my pic in fact for a moment?, VERY! pleased with this revolver, the only issue with the Uberti revolvers is picking out the one you think is the most purdy!
    picketpin and Blackbarry like this.
    ASE Master certified engine machinist
    Team .30-30 #234
    Team .35 #159
    Team .45-70 #161
    Team 1894 #30

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Ive got an Uberti SAA in 45colt, absolutely love it, feels great in the hand, with a crisp 2 lb trigger right out of the box. and very accurate if i do my part, I reload, and like reduced loads personally. I am very OCD when it comes to my guns, and am always messing with them to get them "that much better".. I haven't. and wont do a thing to this one, its absolutely perfect right out of the box..
    I am already looking to buy my next Uberti, maybe in .357...
    uberti1.jpg
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

If its stuck...WD40.... If its loose, Duct tape...

Deadeye
    Member #
    I work with a guy who does cas and he told me there great guns. He said the only bad thing hes seen is the case coloring is not that great. He said mechanicaly there great.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links