Concern about H&R/NEF Single Shot Repairs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Concern about H&R/NEF Single Shot Repairs

Wrangler
    Member #

Concern about H&R/NEF Single Shot Repairs

I have an H&R Model 088 12 Gauge single shot that is starting to misfire occasionally. Maybe 1 misfire every 8 or 10 shots. Can't tell if it's the hammer spring (though it feels strong in cocking it) or an issue with the transfer bar.

My main local gunsmith wasnt crazy about working on it, didn't flat turn me down but said they weren't his speciality.

A much larger gunshop in the nearest larger town (a well respected establishment) estimated it might be $75 to fix it. I only gave $100 for it, and don't need another $75 in it. This place also warned it's going to get harder and harder to get parts like transfer bars and/or strikers.

As somewhat of an NEF/H&R collector, I am concerned. I've lost count how many of these rifles and shotguns I own but it's 10 or more. I use these guns as working guns, field guns, informal target guns. I grew up on them and always loved their simplicity and dependability.

Apparently I don't need to have repairs needed due to expense and possible unavailability of parts. I am asking myself, Is this a set of guns I should liquidate? Or do I shoot them at will and cough up whatever necessary when something breaks? I didn't like what I was told today.
    94win30wcf likes this.
    "From my Cold Dead Hands!"- Charlton Heston, Year 2000 speech at the NRA Convention

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Personally I wouldn't sell the others if they are still working. As for the one that is not, only you can make that decision but it might be worth more parted out or kept for spare parts.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My Grandfather loved those single barrel shotguns. Some of the parts like firing pins are common to several models. If the lockup is tight at the breech it may be a worn out firing pin. They are still available and cheap. I would fix it or keep it for parts.
    kentucky shooter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Personally I wouldn't sell the others if they are still working. As for the one that is not, only you can make that decision but it might be worth more parted out or kept for spare parts.
    Good advice on keeping it for parts. I am sure I'll keep the rest, a bunch are relatively new, between 2000 and 2008 vintage in great shape and giving no trouble.

I guess I assume, and still hope, there will always be a way to keep these old guns repaired when needed.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    "From my Cold Dead Hands!"- Charlton Heston, Year 2000 speech at the NRA Convention

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Firing pins for single shots are very easy to make. Just take the old one out and duplicate it (maybe a tad longer). Most SS firing pins go through the breech at a downward angle and don't have a return spring. The downward angle will cause the shell or extractor/ejector to push the pin back up into its recess when the gun is closed rather than snapping the end off the pin. I have made several to put old SS's back into use.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    They are not that hard to work on. They come apart fairly easy, go back together a little harder. Once you get the tools needed for one, they will work for the rest.

You should know how to disassemble for deep cleaning also.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Owen49 and kentucky shooter like this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Are you getting lite firing pin hits? There may be gunk on the transfer bar or receiver. Years ago I was given a gun like yours it was clean. I stoned the raised part of the hammer nose that contacts the receiver. This allowed the hammer/transfer bar to push the firing pin in a little more. It works fine for years now.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 94win30wcf View Post
    Are you getting lite firing pin hits. there may be gunk on the transfer bar or receiver. yrs ago I was given a gun like yours. it was clean. I stoned the raised part of the hammer nose that contacts the receiver. this allows the hammer/transfer bar to push the firing pin in a little more. works fine for years now.
    7 out of 8 or so shots are perfectly normal, going bang with good primer indention. About 1 in 8 give a light strike, not enough to fire.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Check eBay as parts pop up.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-05-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links