It's YELP, YELP Time!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Extraordinaire & Team 444 Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Are any of you guys getting Gobbler Fever? :?:

I've been putzing with my gear, tuning calls, checking decoys & blinds; and making several trips to the patterning board. :lol:

I've had GREAT success with the new Federal "Grand Slam" loads in my 20GA. The new 1&5/16 oz copper plated #6 are awesome. Using a HastingsĀ® 570 choke tube I got 61 pellets in the kill zone at 30yds. With performance like that I'm leaving my 12GA at home! That 20ga sure is easier on the shoulder and my molars! :mrgreen:

I'm hunting the Klickitat for Merriams this year.

YELP, YELP, YELP; HERE TURKEY, TURKEY, TURKEY.......

BANG!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    David ("Feo, Fuerte y Formal")
    CW3, US Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Founder (Member# 1) of Team 444 Marlin®

Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

My camo and Mossberg 500 are ready to go.Just hope it doesn't rain .

Sidewinder
    Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

I'm rarin' to go. Scouted up a roosted gobbler early last Sat. morning and will be back this coming Sat. when the season opens. Will be using my trusty Ithaca 37 pump gun this time. It has a 2 3/4" chamber but, with the Briley full choke tube and 1 1/2 oz. of #4s, will kill gobblers at 40 yds. Sometimes I use my old A.H. Fox double with 2 3/4" chambers, but mostly use a Winchester 101 O/U with 3" shells. Good luck with your gobbler chasin' fellas!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Same old spot, always seem to produce sooner or later and my trusty Rem 1187 premere 3 1/2 good to go. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Quote Originally Posted by I B.Redneck
    My camo and Mossberg 500 are ready to go.Just hope it doesn't rain .
    I too use a Mossberg 500 only in a 20GA. I have installed a HastingsĀ® Super Full Choke and am very pleased. I use Federal Grand SlamĀ® 1&5/16oz of Copper Plated #6's. I have a self-imposed limit of 30yds. At that distance I put 61 pellets into the kill zone of a Turkey pattern target. Using the same load with #5's I get 27 pellets into the kill zone. Have not had a lot of success with #4's however.

I know that Turkey hunting is a big deal in upsatate NY; (I'm originally from Syracuse). Here in Washington State we only started Turkey Hunting in 96. Mostly it's Merriams and Rio Grandes in the Eastern half of the state. In 96 only about 300 birds were taken; last year the kill was above 4,500.

The MossbergĀ® 500 is a great gun, excellent value for the money. Very versitle and a sure "Gobbler Getter".

Good luck in your quest for Tommy Three Toes!
    :mrgreen:
    CW3, US Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة

1. Jesus Christ.
    1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Sidewinder
    Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Well, the season opened and I hunted Saturday and Sunday only to be bested by the ole gobbler. He wasn't roosted where I found him roosting during my scout the week before and, by the time I found him, he was already on the ground with his ladies. I could see him strutting and showin off for them but, needless to say, he had no interest in leaving the harem for one lonely hen. Same deal both days. I ain't givin up yet though. I'll be back next weekend and will see if his majesty likes an invader horning in on the girls (me with a gobbler caller). I'll be real careful with it. There's hardly anyone else in this area, and I will use the call sparingly if nothing else works. Really would prefer to hear him gobbling on the roost at dawn and have a chance to set up close by, for a change.
    How you fellas doing so far?

Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Quote Originally Posted by lossking
    Well, the season opened and I hunted Saturday and Sunday only to be bested by the ole gobbler. He wasn't roosted where I found him roosting during my scout the week before and, by the time I found him, he was already on the ground with his ladies. I could see him strutting and showin off for them but, needless to say, he had no interest in leaving the harem for one lonely hen. Same deal both days. I ain't givin up yet though. I'll be back next weekend and will see if his majesty likes an invader horning in on the girls (me with a gobbler caller). I'll be real careful with it. There's hardly anyone else in this area, and I will use the call sparingly if nothing else works. Really would prefer to hear him gobbling on the roost at dawn and have a chance to set up close by, for a change.
    How you fellas doing so far?
    Well our season in WA State opens Apr15th. I'll be scouting the next 2 weekends. Because of my work schecule I will scout on Thurs, Fri, & Sat. On the Season opener I'm setting up camp on Wed afternoon and plan to hunt on Thurs, Fri, & Sat with the wife and a friend from work. Will try for a WA SLAM this year: Rio Grande, Merriam, and Eastern.

Lossking where are you located?
    CW3, US Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة

1. Jesus Christ.
    1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Sidewinder
    Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Dawei, I'm in southeast Louisiana. Sounds like you have a real nice hunt planned. Good luck.

RugerCal480

It's YELP, YELP Time!

The season here in PA starts May1 and runs to May 29. So, scouting this weekend and the Saturday before Easter. Problem is, Trout season also starts the 17th of April....so fish or shoot turkey?? Nice dilemma! :lol:

Sidewinder
    Member #

It's YELP, YELP Time!

Took me an hour Saturday to call in the old boy, and then I shot and just plain missed him. Still don't know quite how I managed to do it but I did. Saw him again or another one on Sunday but a cutting hen got between us and that was "all she wrote". Oh well, back to the drawing board, er turkey woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links