H&R Folding .410
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: H&R Folding .410

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I inherited an older .410. Not wanting to sell, trade or get a value. Just info.

Marked as follows... on top of barrel, just above chamber area. "410 Gauge Choke". Under trigger guard... "F130xx". Haven't shot it in probably 40 years. If I remember correctly it would take 3" shells but could be wrong on that. Any info appreciated.

Been in the family for years. I bet since I was 5 years old it hasn't had a box of shells through it. Locks up tight. Dents and dings, some blueing gone around muzzle. The rest is more patina than shiny blue, but no rust anywhere.

Gun Wizard
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    Pictures would help. Is it like this one?

44-410BarrelMarking.jpg
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Found this, if anyone is interested in the strange markings... DO NOT fire a .44 solid in it!!

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thr...shotgun.94497/
    Golphin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Nope... not like that one. I didn't check in this weekend. I'll post a pic later this morning. I do THINK I found that it was made sometime between 1937 and 1942 and it does have a three inch chamber and is marked for it. Just have to figure out what the different numbers and marks mean on it. Based on the way the chambering is marked it was made 1937 to end of run in 1942. It says "CHOKE" which I have learned was H&R's way of saying "FULL CHOKE" or "FULL" or something else that made sense. Now, I just have to decide to have it restored or not. Doesn't need a LOT of work at all. But maybe just to make it look really nice like original? It was my grandad's. He never used it any that I know of. I did shoot a squirrel or two and some snakes with it. I toted it around as a kid quail hunting, though strangely I killed my first quail with a borrowed 20 gaugle double barrel which led to me getting a S&W 1000 20ga. for my 13th birthday.
    94win30wcf likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The first one is the wooden case. I turn 53 this summer, it is older that me. I want to clean it up real nice and put a new leather handle on it. The little latches aren't secure really. I need another old brass latch of some kind to keep it securely closed.

Inside the case... see that rag. It it older than me too. It stays there. Smells of Hoppe's, and shotgun shells...
    Then you see the original hard butt cap. Perfect condition.

The shotgun folds neatly in half and nestles fairly securely in the case.

You can see the gun in the next two photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sidewinder
    Member #
    That part about not shooting it in 40 years... yeah... that is now about 15 minutes. I picked up a box of 3 inch Federal no. 6's yesterday. Just put one of them through it this morning. Mostly to shoot it, but also to see if it had and extractor or ejector. Confirmed the ejector works quite well! I love that "thunk" sound when the empty case goes flying out. And the smell of that little shotgun shell is JUST RIGHT! What is it about the smell of a shotgun shell after it has been fired? Man... memories, feelings, nostalgia, loneliness, wistfulness... a bit of everything in that one whiff.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I still have my STEVENS 94H 12 ga I got it when I was 12. and I still hunt with it. use that gun. add to its story.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Once upon a time there was a 44 shot or ball shell.
    shawlerbrook likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I hope to find a .410 single shot like that one. Old and American made with an ejector. I would never shoot slugs or ball in a full choke. 5-6 shot is perfect for a .410 and squirrel hunting. Yup when I am serious about cookin up some squirrel I don't play fair. I only use a 22 when playing around for the freezer and getting away.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Yeah... and some of these H&R Folding shotguns were also marked for old 12 or 14mm shotshells also I believe. Due to mine having the 3 inch chamber, the ejector and the way they chambering is marked, it points to the last run of these in 1937 to 1942.

I love this little gun. I think this fall it may get a quail just for kicks or maybe a squirrel or rabbit. I'm going to keep it available in the closet for then next snake we see too.

They are sort of rare but not really valuable or anything. But this one just ain't for sale... this one is my family, my history, my memories. I just can't decide to have it restored or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links