• 4 Post By buckstix
  • 2 Post By Drm50

Thread: Unusual H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga 32" bbl - Master Engraved

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Unusual H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga 32" bbl - Master Engraved

Unusual H&R Sportsman Long Range 20ga 32" bbl - Master Engraved

Hello All,

I've repeated my post here. I'm hoping to find more information about this shotgun, and its value. Perhaps someone has seen something similar that might lead to the discovery of this shotgun's History. I called H&R and they told me it was made in 1978, and that they would investigate further.

See pictures below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by buckstix; 05-12-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I would say this is a project done by a guy who is into engraving and this was kind of a test piece. The value new of the gun wouldn't come close to the value of work and time on engraving. I'm not into it but if you take this to a big show that has a master engraver set up they can tell you about the engraving. That's where the story is not in the gun. A master engraver would be unlikely to work on such a gun unless it was for a family member for sentimental reasons. It would make a test piece because of soft metal in H&R reciever. It looks to me like this was done through the existing blue
    Travlin and PoopDeckPappy like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hello Drm50,
    Thanks for the reply.

The H&R model 176Sportsman Long Range had a case-hardened heat-treated receiver. This work was done either "before" heat-treat, or the receiver had to be annealed prior to engraving, and then blued.

The Historian at H&R opined that this may have been engraved as a "presentation-gift" for a retiring Salesman or Executive at the H&R Company. This was the most likely scenario because the "H&R Logo" was prominently engraved on the rear of the receiver, even though the full factory name is clearly marked on the left side. Another possibility was that perhaps it was commissioned as a "trophy-gun" to be won in competition. He will continue to investigate. Here is an example of an H&R trophy / prize from March 3, 1998.

" ... J.D. Dubois of Montrose won the Colorado state championship for shotgun shooting sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation during the four-day International Sportsman's Exposition held recently at Currigan Hall in Denver. ... Dubois, a junior at MHS, hit twice as many targets as his nearest competitor to win a custom engraved H&R shotgun and many other prizes from industry supporters. ... "
    Last edited by buckstix; 05-21-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links