43 Spanish Reformado
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 43 Spanish Reformado

Gun Wizard
    Member #

43 Spanish Reformado

I think I have a 43 Spanish Reformado. There's a R stamp on the barrel. I slugged the bore and it's .443. Is there anything else to look for to confirm that it is a Reformado? Also, if it is, am I toast as far as loading for this?
    94win30wcf likes this.
    Remember, only your enemy wants you disarmed.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Sorry, but I've been around the blocks a few times, and I haven't heard of it.
    Judson likes this.
    Prickle Farmer

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    pics, pics, pics
    Triggerfinger and Travlin like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    Sorry, but I've been around the blocks a few times, and I haven't heard of it.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    pics, pics, pics
    I'd love to, but camera decided to go belly up awhile back.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If it is a Reformado you can use 43 Spanish brass to fire form. You will need to open case neck to hold a .446 lead bullet and load over 60 to 65 gr. of FFG black powder. Fill case with black powder to base of case neck, add around 15 to 18 gr. of Cream of Wheat for filler. Seat bullet compressing the COW filler. Use friction to hold bullet in place, do not crimp. You will have a funnel shaped case mouth which will help center the cartridge in the chamber and then fire-form.

Smokeless powder loads will not have sufficient pressure to expand case when fire forming resulting in squib type loads.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks 25/20. Was looking on the internet and gathering info about these rifles and what the one I have is. Based on the info below I have a Modelo 1878 Argentino. But I believe instead of being 43 spanish that it should be, I think it's been changed to a Reformado. Looking inside the chamber it seems more straight than what would accomodate a bottle neck cartridge.

"It is a Modelo 1879 Argentino Patria built by Remington in Ilion New York. Many of these had "EN" for "Ejercito Nacional" stamped on the octagon knoxform around the chamber area. Many others had no such markings. These were shipped to Argentina as part of a large military contract. These are identifiable by two things: The knoxform, and the rear sight is identical to the Austrian Werndl M1867, except that these are not windage adjustable at all and screw directly onto the barrel."

Mine has no markings other than the R stamp on the left side of barrel.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerfinger View Post
    Thanks 25/20. Looking inside the chamber it seems more straight than what would accomodate a bottle neck cartridge.
    If you have access to some cerrosafe you can do a chamber cast and you will know for sure how it is chambered.
    Ray Newman and Triggerfinger like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    If it is a Reformado you can use 43 Spanish brass to fire form. You will need to open case neck to hold a .446 lead bullet and load over 60 to 65 gr. of FFG black powder. Fill case with black powder to base of case neck, add around 15 to 18 gr. of Cream of Wheat for filler. Seat bullet compressing the COW filler. Use friction to hold bullet in place, do not crimp. You will have a funnel shaped case mouth which will help center the cartridge in the chamber and then fire-form.

Smokeless powder loads will not have sufficient pressure to expand case when fire forming resulting in squib type loads.
    How do you know this? This is amazing. I have been shooting since I was seven. I am 66. I never heard of a Reformado. I am truly impressed.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by white cloud View Post
    How do you know this? This is amazing. I have been shooting since I was seven. I am 66. I never heard of a Reformado. I am truly impressed.
    I am older than you and I have some eclectic friends that shoot odd ball single shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links