What's you 1st gun deal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: What's you 1st gun deal

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

What's you 1st gun deal

You guys going to have to really pull one out to beat me on this one. My dad fixed TVs & Radios on the side. He bought tubes every other Sat up in Wheeling, WVa. He got some kind of points like Top Value stamps on tube purchases. He was saving up points to get my mother a set of Melmac Dishes which were a big deal at the time. In the premium book there were some toys. One was a Stallion Cap gun that loaded like a real SA. I started pestering the OM over that cap gun. He said when ma got her dishes he would get me the gun. Well ma got her dishes and shortly thereafter OM came home with the cap gun. I was the cock of the walk with that dude. I got on my tricycle and went down the street to show off my pistol to a buddy. His Dad was a preacher and tighter than the bark on a pignut. My buddy starts putting the bite on his dad to take him uptown to the 5&10 and buy him a cap gun. Preacher says I got something better than that and took us down the basement. He pulls down one of those cardboard cans that Mothers Oats came in and pulled out a top break S&W 38. Put wood splinters in cylinder and cut them of flush with his pocket knife. Hands his boy the gun to click to his harts content. Preacher went about his business and 10 minutes later I had the S&W and buddy had my new cap gun. I took off for home and my OM and my uncle were on the porch. OM says show your uncle your new shooten iron. I had to cough up the S&W. The OM was somewhat pissed at me and we went back to preachers house.
    It ended up my buddy was happy with my cap gun, his tight arse OM didn't care so we went home with the S&W 38.
    My OM kept the S&W and I got jack. I was 5 at the time and that 38 was the OMs nightstand gun for years.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Can't top that! Hunted and shot with hand me downs till I bought my 53 SC for 100.00 lot of money in 1981! Have the Marlinitis since,throw bolt actions and others into the mix always go back to the lever guns!
    gunscrewguy and art6555 like this.
    Team 30 30 #1434 Team semi auto pistol #78
    Team 45/70 #1965
    Team .35 Rem #785
    Team .22 Mag #195
    Team Old Phart #390

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thats a great story and I cant beat it. I do have a gun deal to add however. I once bought an 870 for ten pounds. No ordinary 870, it had a folding stock, one of those over the top ones that said 'Law enforcement use only' down the side and about a 12" barrel. Thing was I was part of a group with a special licence at the time. No regular person could have a shorty like that, so no one could bid on it. I stuck a ten quid bid in and won. I decided as it was cheap as chips I used it as a 'cool' paperweight. Turned out it was ex US presidential protection detail and a guy offered me £500.00 for it. Which I took. I am not sure I should reveal the end of the story. Lets just say, some more turned up.
    mikom, Steve_In, turbobug and 4 others like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Now that is funny. What could go wrong there?
    My first purchase was an Italian .45 muzzle loader. A real piece of crap. I could have had an original shooter for the same money back in the day.
    Traded it off on a .22 K-Hornet Savage 23. I got tired of extracting cases with the head broke off so I traded it for a Browning T22 left hand which I still have.
    I heard of a guy that played with an old original muzzle loader. His old man bought him caps for it. Years later he wanted to shoot it but it was plugged up. When he had the breech plug pulled it was loaded.
    tranteruk, mikom, Drm50 and 3 others like this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I was 17 at the time and one of my dads biker buddies had a burnt set of points on his hog and was stuck in a little town on the California coast, on a Sunday... It just happened to be a town I was living in. My dad called me and asked if I could load his bike in my pickup and haul him home...

I got to him and his bike, pulled out my wallet, and produced my handy dandy flexible emery board. Polished the points, gaped them with a matchbook, and sent him on his way...

He and my dad showed up at my place later that night and he handed me my first ever Marlin. A 1975 336C in 30-30... Said thanks and left...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Deadeye
    Member #
    These are awesome stories. My first gun and I was about 14. Me and My little brother decided to hoe weeds out of about 160 acres of sugar beats. We wanted to pool our money to buy a used Savage 99 for sale at a Coast to Coast in our little town. Well we didn't have enough money and my dad seen how hard we worked. He didn't have the money either so he gave me an old sporterized 1917 Enfield that was butt ugly but it shot very well. My little brother got the Winchester 94 32 Special we started hunting with. Dad always did like my little brother better,
    I used that 30/06 for 5 years before I bought a Savage 110E in 243.

Banned
    Member #
    First gun I ever bought was a 1978 S&W model 19-4.I was 16 at the time.It was the summer of 1978.My girlfriend’s older brother got it for me at the Kmart on Frontage rd in East Haven,CT.It was around $200,I think.
    Anyway,I paid cash for the gun.And I paid the clown who bought it for me with a $10 bag of weed.
    It was a great revolver . But it was confiscated when I used it for self defense against someone trying to rob my fathers liquor store .
    Long story which I don’t want to get into . I did post about it in detail once.
    But my dad kept the gun when they released it . He had the gun for years .But after he died I never found it I don’t know what happened to it. Probably my cousin.Things of value seem to gravitate his way.
    Now that it’s in my mind I may ask my cousin . He probably has it . And if he does I can buy it back . That dude will sell anything if you are willing to pay cash.Or sometimes trade.Got my uncle’s 1964 mint Mountie from him.Had to do free work.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Marlin 336 in 1974 used. Paid $50 for it.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle/ML Rifle)
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
    Team 30-30 #1051
    Team Old Pharts #367

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I bought a half stock at a church rummage sale. It had been painted sGeveral times to be used in church Thanksgivivg pagent. Some of the church ladies said they remember it when they were kids, we are talkin 20s and 30s at the time I bought it. Spent several weeks getting it apart. Taking my time separating wood from metal. Had barrel in vise about ready to put torch to breech plug and
    it sounded dull. I took a ramrod and found there was something in the barrel. Could have been anything but it was loaded. We got it to fire after a couple duds of priming and fuse. We caught ball and patch in some 2x12 scrap. It didn't have much power. Patch was some kind of animal skin. Taught me a lesson never assume a gun is empty.

The rifle turned out to be a Roth. He had a shop only 15miles from here. He is a documented smith that built guns in Monroe cnty, Ohio.
    His guns were mostly plain Jane hunting rifles. This one was about .32. There is another one in town than is a 28. The biggest Roth I've seen is .40 cal. Some accounts put him in Bingham, Ohio which was a old post office that no longer exists. His family still lives on same farm.
    Last edited by Drm50; 07-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

11. 07-18-2019, 08:28 PM

Banned

Reason
    Spam and/or unwanted content

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My first deal was a 1971 Rem 572 22LR/L/S pump gun I bought in 1977...got it for $59 if I remember correctly. Second deal was brand new paid full price for a Savage 99C in 308Win in 1978 for $239.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links