What's you 1st gun deal - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: What's you 1st gun deal

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I was 15 ( my father had to buy the gun) I was working washing dishes for 2 buck an hour. a 94 winnie carbine 32 spl circa 1925. 150.00 bucks at a small LGS. still have it!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    My first firearms purchase was a 1975 Rem Mod 788 in 308 Win. Bought it at a local hardware store for 138 bucks back in the summer of 1978. I have used it to take whitetails/mulies/black bear/elk and its still going strong to this day. I still have my original Redfield Widefield 3-9X40mm scope on top in the original Weaver steel rings and mounts. I now have it housed in a cheepo Ramline plastic stock when banging around in the woods. I keep the original cheepo hardwood stock in the gunsafe to preserve it. Its getting harder to find original Mod 788 wood replacements these days..............
    OLSKOOL, marlinluvr, mikom and 2 others like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    oh yes the 788 rem. I have had a few. a man just brought me one in 223 to fix. the trigger is bad. I just ordered a Timney trigger and will have it Monday. these rifles are sleepers, a little know fact the reason they shoot so good is that they have Douglas barrels from the factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Ret_Eng, 94win30wcf and mikom like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I had guns at a very young age, but we lived in the woods and there was no one to play with but an old bird dog so we were pretty safe. Nine years later ( 1965) at the age of 15 I was walking down the main street in Guthrie Oklahoma and looked in the window of a drug store and he had two rifles hanging over the cash register. I ask to look and he handed me one. It was a Remington 514 single shot bolt action 22 short, long or long rifle. He wanted sixteen dollar for it and I had been working in the green houses after school and had my check of thirty dollars with me. That was a weeks pay. Well the old man sold me the gun but made me get an adult to come pick it up. I hurried to find my Grandpa and we headed to the store and he handed it to gramps who handed it to me. He said what you going to do with it? I said I am going to go get a squirrel for supper. He laughed, but I headed off down Cottonwood creek and it wasn't long I had one in my sights and by the Grace of God I hit him about the third shot. I had not even sighted in the rifle. Grandma fried that squirrel that night and it was great to me. Wish I could live that day over again, sure miss them two.
    Ret_Eng, marlinluvr, mikom and 2 others like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Bought a 870 from Woolworth's for $95 with money earned from delivering newspapers. Lot's of hunting & trap shooting through the years. Put a 18 inch barrel & mag extention on it a few years ago making it handy for home defense. Easily swap barrels when I want to bust clays.
    marlinluvr and mikom like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Great story thanks for sharing and the smile.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'm nosey, how much an acre did you get for hoeing beets?
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Deadeye
    Member #
    My first gun purchase was a sporterized enfield in a fajan stock that I bought for 20.00 when I was a junior in high school. I completed the deal at the school and kept it in my locker for the day. Probably couldn't get away with that today.
    gunscrewguy and Drm50 like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    First NIB rifle I bought was a Rem 742c in 64, 1st shotgun a 870 the within same year. I started off with two mistakes but got that out of my system and never bought anymore junk. I bought so many handguns and 22 rifles I can't remember which was first. I had already bought scads of guns off individuals.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links