Browning Auto-5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Browning Auto-5

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Browning Auto-5

I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 this spring and it got me thinking about my father's old Auto-5. It hasn't seen much action in the last 26 years since he's been gone. So I figured I would disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and put it back in the rotation. I watched a video on how to disassemble and clean the internals. During the process I realized that my gun is a lot older than the one in the video. So I tried to do a serial number search online. My serial number is 13,xxx. Apparently the records from the early 1900's are not the best. According to Browning website production started around 1903 when John Moses Browning ordered 10,000 from Belgium. I would have to guess my Auto-5 was shortly after that. Maybe 1904-1905? I don't know and it really doesn't matter, just thought it was neat. Now, only if that gun could talk.
    Vooch, marlinluvr, DRSLYR and 13 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I bet that gun DOES talk to you...just like all ours father's/uncle's/Grandfather's guns! Something special about a gun handed down/inherited that a gun that was bought for or by you can't do! Those are special too, but in a different way...IMO! Got a few that were my dad's that I wouldn't trade for anything and nobody but another gun guy (or gal) would understand!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also have my fathers A5 light 12. I've got to do the same. Still a safe queen.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 this spring and it got me thinking about my father's old Auto-5. It hasn't seen much action in the last 26 years since he's been gone. So I figured I would disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and put it back in the rotation. I watched a video on how to disassemble and clean the internals. During the process I realized that my gun is a lot older than the one in the video. So I tried to do a serial number search online. My serial number is 13,xxx. Apparently the records from the early 1900's are not the best. According to Browning website production started around 1903 when John Moses Browning ordered 10,000 from Belgium. I would have to guess my Auto-5 was shortly after that. Maybe 1904-1905? I don't know and it really doesn't matter, just thought it was neat. Now, only if that gun could talk.
    Hey Hammertime - how 'bout a pic of Dad's humpback?

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    take it out and hunt with it. add to its story.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have my dads A5, it's an FN with safety in front of trigger guard 30" FC. He got it after WW2 and was the Cadillac of shotguns as far as his opinion. Even after acquiring several other shotguns it was his go to for hunting. When he first got into trap he used it. It only jammed once in thousands of rounds fired. While pheasant hunting he was crossing the upper end of a pond in cat tails when birds flushed. The A5 bolt handle fed a cat tail and locked the gun up. Ive never been a big shotgun fan and only use them when necessary for birds & rabbits. My main Ohio deer gun was an A5 Lite that I cut down and installed sights. My Bro has seven A5s in 20-16-12g and a selection of barrels for all them. There is no doubt in our minds the A5 is finest auto loader ever made. That might be why it was around for 100yrs.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    Oh. it will talk, and plenty! I've a disaster of a chopped up 1957, that I might call 'Lazurus' that in spite of some light pitting on the outside, the innards showed little wear, and a bright bore. It will eat anything you feed it. Important to make sure you set the friction rings to low, or high brass. It is now my home social shotgun. Earlier post, #5 :

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...m-auto-5s.html

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 04-28-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    cajun56 and edcknives like this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I have my uncles A5 light Twelve in the safe, last time I hunted ducks with it was 2000 in Wax Lake outlet, 1951 model. I guess it's time to bring it out into the light of day.

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've got the internal scrubbed, lightly oiled and reassembled. Just debating on refinishing the wood.
    Da Duke, gunscrewguy and edcknives like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I've got my Dad's Auto-5 Sweet 16!
    Team Henry #12
    Old Pharts #293
    Team 30-30 # 1257

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links