Muzzleloader Shotgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Muzzleloader Shotgun

El Capitan of Teams 32 Special, 1894 and 450 Gun Wizard
    Member #

Muzzleloader Shotgun

My brother-in-law gave me this one yesterday. It was in an old building that was my father-in-law's. I'd like to know anything about it if anyone has information on it.

It's going to be a wall hanger, but I don't know if I should just clean it up a bit & leave it at that or get deeper into a non working restoration.

If there is a better place to post this for more info, please move.
    Thanks, trad

IMG_20181123_140044.jpgIMG_20181123_140428.jpg
    IMG_20181123_140408.jpg
    IMG_20181123_140240.jpgIMG_20181123_140503.jpg
    Team 1894 -Mash Here - Team 32 Special - Mash Here
    Team 450 Marlin - - Mash Here

Teams 1894, 45-70, 35, 444, 30-30, 32Spl, Win, Wheelguns & Bangin' Blackhawks

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Howdy tradarcher

I’ll be watching your thread because I’m doing the same thing.
    I was gifted a double barrel black powder shotgun. Just a a wall hanger.
    I took apart what I could.. cleaned off the rust.. shined up the brass hardware.. refinished the stock.
    looks nice but it’s missing the ramrod. I bought a 3/8 dowel to make one. Looking for the brass button for the end now.
    tradarcher, GITU1 and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Team .38-55 #36
    Team .45-70 #112
    Team 1894 #105
    Team .30-30 #617

Sidewinder
    Member #
    For the brass at the end of the ramrod, You can use a shell casing, only a little file work is needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    That's a cut back military musket from the 1830s approximately. As far as I can tell it was originally a flintlock. I can't get the photos to enlarge, so it's hard to see. It was very common for military muskets to be "sporterized" and used as shotguns to feed your family in the 1800s. Most all of the pre-1850s guns were smooth bore, so they worked fine. A person that is up on military muskets of the day can give you a model and better date. I'd leave it as it is and just do a mild cleaning. If those old guns could talk.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    That's a cut back military musket from the 1830s approximately. As far as I can tell it was originally a flintlock. I can't get the photos to enlarge, so it's hard to see. It was very common for military muskets to be "sporterized" and used as shotguns to feed your family in the 1800s. Most all of the pre-1850s guns were smooth bore, so they worked fine. A person that is up on military muskets of the day can give you a model and better date. I'd leave it as it is and just do a mild cleaning. If those old guns could talk.

El Capitan of Teams 32 Special, 1894 and 450 Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Keep the info coming. Point me in the best direction.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    Team 1894 -Mash Here - Team 32 Special - Mash Here
    Team 450 Marlin - - Mash Here

Teams 1894, 45-70, 35, 444, 30-30, 32Spl, Win, Wheelguns & Bangin' Blackhawks

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Howdy tradarcher

I’ll be watching your thread because I’m doing the same thing.
    I was gifted a double barrel black powder shotgun. Just a a wall hanger.
    I took apart what I could.. cleaned off the rust.. shined up the brass hardware.. refinished the stock.
    looks nice but it’s missing the ramrod. I bought a 3/8 dowel to make one. Looking for the brass button for the end now.
    For the brass button, you may want to look at the brass lamp shade risers (Lowe's or other big box store that carries lamp parts) or the brass nuts (finials) for lamp shades.
    tradarcher and 00buck like this.
    Your reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone, your character is what the angels proclaim about you before the throne of God!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hard to tell. Some guns were put together by an assortment of parts. Lock looks like a conversion using a military hammer, but the plate is not military. Trigger guard does have a hole for a sling swivel. There were American copies and the barrel is not right. I personally think its a "black smiths" gun put together with what was available.

Black powder shotguns lasted well into the cartridge era. And when you get into the Southern States like you are from up into the 1900's in the more remote areas. BP fire arms were very usable as powder could be locally made, and caps were about all that was needed. All kinds of things could be fired out of a shotgun. That's my guess.

DEP
    Last edited by northmn; 11-25-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    M1Riflenut, Pereira and tradarcher like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    There is a theory in Black powder gun knowledge that I ascribe to, that we have a Cadillac view of what guns were used back in the day. That the fancier Pennsylvania rifles survived in a larger percentage than the plain work a day guns. These guns saw harder use and tended to break down and be discarded over time. A Hawken barrel was once found as a fence post. The fancier ones got hung on walls as decoration and survived. There are quite a few 73 Winchesters in use today but there were a lot of them made. Many are not in very good shape. They were relatively expensive in their day. Also more durable than most muzzle loaders. While they served well in their time, as they were made obsolete they were discarded. Many collectors disagree with me and maybe they are right, but I still think the plain utility firearms of their day are not seen today.

I say this because when muzzle loaders are found, many hope they have found some valuable treasure worth several dollars if appraised at Antiques Roadshow. Those rifles like a Dickert I saw appraised at 75,000 are signed and verified and were noted as near works of art in their day. The Savage axis equivalent rifles served their users well like the Axis does today, but just are not collectable to any extent. Popularity enters in also. Northwest Trade Guns, were an item traded to the Native Americans during the fur trade days. After some writers explained their use every wannabe mountain man thought they should have one and the prices went out of sight for originals. They were an inexpensive trade item and as rifle builder I could see the shortcuts in their manufacture. However some were made that did not function well and once the Natives recognized them they were not a tradeable item. They had to be functional.

DEP
    M1Riflenut, Pereira and tradarcher like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you want a real shotgun ramrod tip get hold of Dixie Gun works or Track of the Wolf, they should have them and are probably inexpensive.
    northmn, Pereira and tradarcher like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links