Dad tells me a story
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Dad tells me a story

Wrangler
    Member #

Dad tells me a story

My dad just opened up and told me a story he never has shared
    He grew up in Texas in the early 50's and one night he and some buddies went varmint hunting with beer and some 22's
    Never a good idea, but this was back in the day....
    he got out of the back of a truck holding his .22 and a beer and the .22 discharged missing a friend by inches
    As he put it, they were done for the night after that incident
    He has never shared that story with me-he tells me he still has nightmares and it taught him a huge life changing lesson about gun safety.
    God Bless Those Who Serve Our Country
    Marlin 1894CS
    Marlin 39 Century Limited
    Ruger P94

"We deal in lead, friend"

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    At least it was a sad story! Nobody got hurt!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Close call. My dad had an uncle who was hunting with his cousin as kids. They came to a fence and climbed over but somehow the cousin was killed. That had a lasting impact on that side of the family for many years, so much that most are still anti-gun to this day.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    when my daddy was a young man, him and my granddaddy and a man named Paul would go at night and shoot a gator every now and then. it was illegal in those days and it is now without tags. one night Paul shot a gator off a log at a swamp. my daddy waded out and would find the dead gator with his feet. this night he stepped on the sunken gator, he was up to his neck, but this time the gator was still alive! the gator went shooting out from under his feet! my daddy said he almost walked/ran on top of that water. I think that broke him from poaching gators and they got a good laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My dad told me him and my Gramps were bird hunting and when they got back to the truck a bad thing happened. They loaded the dogs, my dad went around and sat in the passenger seat of the truck. He turned around sideways and bent over to unlace his boots. Boom..., he jumped out of the truck and said what was that. My Gramps said “ I was putting the gun in the case, and “it just went off.” That 12g shot right through the back of the glass where my dad was sitting. If he hadn’t bent over to untie his boots, would have hit him. My Gramps never put a loaded gun in a case after that, and swore till the day he passed that “it just went off.” We figured he didn’t have it in safe, and his finger hit the trigger, or maybe the zipper hit it. Either way, bad deal that could have been worse.

NRA Life/Endowment
    1968 336
    1972 Texan
    God bless our troops! Thanks to all that serve or have served!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    As I read these I realized how common it is for these accidents to happen. Lucky in these case here no one was shot but that is not always the case. When I say common there are a lot of of similar stories I have heard therough the years. That said it is not something that happens non most hunting or shooting trips but happens often enough that we should never let our guard down. Don't climb the fence with a loaded gun and don't put a loaded gun back in the truck as these seem to be common and deadly mistakes.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    'Tis always good when we have the opportunity to learn from a mistake where the cost was easy and not hard. Anyone can learn when the cost is hard (as in a serious injury or death) but in these cases folks were able to learn the lesson at no cost (thank the Lord).

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Its good he told you. all of us have to stop and read stories like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Many years ago, long before I was old enough to hunt, an uncle of mine and several of his friends were deer hunting. They were spread out over lea than 100 yards, when a buck popped up on the ridgeline. All of them shot at it. As the echo of the gunfire faded away, they heard someone yelling. Another hunter was on the far side of where the deer had come up, and had gotten hit by someone's bullet. They rushed him to the nearest hospital. He survived, but the surgeon stated it was too dangerous to remove the bullet. The local sheriff confiscated all of their rifles until the completion of the investigation. My uncle never went back for his, and never hunted again. No way of knowing if it was his shot or not, but it changed his life. My uncle has been gone about 20 years now.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    40 years ago the small community I grew up in had a hunting club. Each year the beginning of gun season began with a lecture on gun safety by the club president who had served as president for years. He would give demonstration how to hold the gun how to carry it and so on. When he finished he opened the driver side door of his truck threw his shotgun on the seat when the shotgun discharged and put a load of buckshot through the passenger door. Luckily no one was injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links