The Guns of Our Fathers. - Page 29
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Like Tree736Likes

Thread: The Guns of Our Fathers.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Wow, some awesome stories and photos in here. I don't have any old guns that have been passed down. My dad is still alive and we shoot quite a bit together. Could be morbid, but we jokingly talk about getting the others guns in the event one of us dies. I tell him if I die at work to take good care of my guns for me and shoot the snot out of them.

I did get my a few of my grandparents guns after my grandfather died. My grandmother died of cancer in 2008. After her death, my grandfather got pretty heavy into shooting and buying firearms. He wanted me to pick him up a Glock, so I got him a G17. He carried it with him all the time and would regularly come down from Alabama to shoot with me in Florida. He'd spend the night then go visit with my parents before making the 3 hour ride back home. He would call me all the time to tell me about the newest gun he purchased. We had a lot of talks about firearms and were able to shoot quite a bit as well.

Thanksgiving of 2011 he had come down for the holiday and was staying with my parents. I spent most of thanksgiving day with him and my parents. The next day I had to work at the fire department. That night we received a 911 call to my parents house. My grandfather had passed out after having dinner. We got him loaded in the ambulance and I rode in with the ambulance crew in the back of the ambulance talking with him while we drove to the hospital. He was doing better, looked better during the trip and pretty stable for the 25 minute ride to the hospital. Got to the ER and got him in a room. I asked him if he wanted me to stay and he said no, get back on the fire truck and go help the other people that may call 911 tonight. My parents were at the ER by this time so I told him I'd see him later and had my supervisor pick me up and take me back to the station to finish out my shift. About an hour after getting back on the fire truck, my dad had called and said that my grandfather had passed away. He died of an aortic aneurysm.
    I ended up getting back the Glock that I had bought for him. It's nothing special,as far as guns go. It's just a plastic, modern 9mm handgun. But I carry it regularly and shoot it quite a bit and always think of him when I look at it. I think of him all the time and all the times we sat around doing nothing but talking, usually about guns. I miss him a lot.

This is thread is probably one of the best I've read. Great stories and great memories. You guys have some awesome stories and awesome firearms. Thanks for sharing.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My dad never told me he loved me when I was living at home. The good news is he didn't have to. Once I made it through the teenage years to young adulthood I realized all the time dad invested in me and my brothers said it louder than words ever would.

Dad spent countless hours teaching us how to play baseball, shoot, hunt squirrels, and fish. More great memories than I'll ever be able to post here. I recall once when we were squirrel hunting and dad told us he could take a platoon of Marine recruits through the woods quieter than we were, of course he was right. He was a Parris Island DI, so he would know. Dad carried a 1947 .22 bolt action single shot Glenfield. We shot our share of squirrels. I remember the first time he taught me how to clean the squirrels. Which elevated my status as a hunter. I also recall him teaching us how a squirrel would move around to the other side of a tree so it was out of sight and how to get it to move back around so you would have a shot. It's amazing how you never forget those things. A few years ago, which is many years after the squirrel hunting, dad gave me the .22 rifle. I learned it was the first rifle he ever bought when he was 14 years old. Valuable no, priceless yes.

Needless to say we've learned how to say "I love you" since those days. The good news, we still don't have to. Dad taught us actions will always say it best.
    Last edited by FRG35; 02-13-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Marlin Marksman
    Texas...of course..but Weatherford to narrow it down.
    Member #
    Good read FRG35!
    If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow...
    1895CB Gov't 45/70
    1895SS Gov't 45/70
    Winchester 94 30/30

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Winchester Model 06 .22 pump. Not my father's but he held if for me while I was in the service. I traded a Maytag gas washing machine motor for it when I was 14. Dad said I was getting smarter in my bartering. I have had it now for 72 years,

IMG_0170.JPG
    Last edited by redscho; 05-07-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice .22, when I was a young man a lot of my friends had them, I had a old Stevens single shot, that I was very proud of !!!
    jgriffin1988 likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

The Guns of Our Fathers.

Not an up close or personal but a group shot from awhile ago. The Stevens Little Scout was grandpas and the H&R and .38 were my dads. Love them all dearly.
    jgriffin1988 and marlinluvr like this.
    Remington Marlin 336SS 30.30 Team 30-30 # 1331
    1930 Springfield M1903 Sport 30.06
    Plus a few others.

Tinhorn
    Member #

The Guns of Our Fathers.

Story for y'all. Growing up I was never really into firearms I was raised with them and I hunted a lot growing up. I always loved dads H&Rand wanted it. He said when I could shoot it without crying or without bruising I could have it. I could never shoot it till almost the time I went into the army without getting hurt by it. I know why now. He set aside a box of homeloaded 3" magnums lugs for me to shoot out of it. Go figure I have never been afraid of any firearm after that.
    Travlin, gunship and marlinluvr like this.
    Remington Marlin 336SS 30.30 Team 30-30 # 1331
    1930 Springfield M1903 Sport 30.06
    Plus a few others.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thought I'd add my own story, no pic. My oldest son has the rifle I'm about to tell you about.
    My father was born in 1913 and grew up at a time when most people had just enough to get. He lived the rest of his life living that spartan life style except for his vehicles. When he passed I inherited his rifle and his shotgun. He had a great love of hunting but his tools of choice we not the most desired. The shotgun is a single shot break open 12 that now lives with my nephew. The rifle is a Remington model 30 Express in .25 Rem. Not the most robust caliber, and since obsolete. I inherited the rifle in 1966 and it sat unused for many decades until, when at a gun show I was able to find some factory ammo. Well, one weekend when both my son's were visiting I thought it would be a great idea to break out Dad's rifle and blow some dust off it. We set up tables on a friends ranch nearby and since I was the oldest I went first. I loaded 4 rounds in the magazine, closed the bolt on the first round, pulled the trigger and bang!!! Powder all over my face, safety glasses were a savior. Put the gun away and then drove over to my gunsmith. He pulled out the spent casing and it had a split going down one side along with a bulge at that side. Some of you have probably guessed what happened. It would seem the sometime during it's life the anemic .25 Rem was changed to a different caliber and not marked on the gun. It was changed to .250-3000. Since then I have purchased brass and the boy's and I are having fun using Dad's old rifle. My oldest son is now in possession of the gun and some day it will be passed on to future generations of the family. Hope you enjoyed the story. Oh, I'll add a pic of the busted case later tonight when I get home.
    NRA LIFE
    SASS # 98038
    336 35 Rem
    1894 357
    1894 357

Wrangler
    Member #
    The 81 cleaned up and ready to go out.REM_M-81-4.jpgREM_M-81-5.jpg
    You can't have a battle of the wit's with the unarmed.
    NRA Pistol Instructor, ASE Master Technician Automobile & Light Truck
    ASE Master Technician Heavy Duty Truck & Equipment
    Team 30-30 #1415, Team Winchester #148, Team Semi-Auto. #64, Team Old Pharts #370
    Team Wheelguns #96, Team Magnum #167, Team 39 #472

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperKing View Post
    The 81 cleaned up and ready to go out.REM_M-81-4.jpgREM_M-81-5.jpg
    Look like it cleaned up nice,thank for sharing.
    ClipperKing likes this.
    Team 45/70 # 1869, Team Browning # 148,Team .444 # 781
    Team 30/30 # 1392,
    Team Shotgun # 124, Team .22 Mag # 175
    Team Wheelguns # 109,
    Team Semi Auto # 73,Team Old Pharts # 378
    Team Rossi 92 .44 Mag 38 Spl/357 Mag. # 83 Team 60 # 477
    Team Henry .22 lr # 134

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links