Getting ready for planting...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Getting ready for planting...

Super Moderator
    Member #

Getting ready for planting...

Spent the day mowing and setting up bales for planting our garden this year...

Our soil here is awful, mostly red clay. So we decided to try the straw bale gardening thing... Well, the stuff that passes for straw around here looks like baled up grass. So I'm using alfalfa instead. Everything I've read says it'll work fine. Might take an extra week to condition because it has more leafy material inside the bale and will be a little hotter as it breaks down...

The seeds for the tomatoes, squash and jalapenos are already started and should be ready to transplant by the time the bales are conditioned...

Picking up some strawberry plants at the gardening center in a couple of weeks...

Going to set up a couple more rows next weekend...

100_3567.JPG
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gunfighter
    Member #
    At least 6 weeks before planting around here.
    Blaine and Scorpiusb like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Way too early. You are having a bout of Spring fever.
    lol, but I don't blame you. Our Winter sucked, and we both want to move forward into the wonderful Spring and new growth that accompanies it.
    Damn! I truly love Spring.
    Otherwise, keep the rolls of plastic sheeting and hold-down rocks at the ready.
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    I was reading one of your stupid rants, and thinking what a freaking idiot you are, until I realized it was one of my own rants from last week.

"Lord, bless me with patience... Not opportunities to be patient, I've had plenty of those and they don't seem to be working. The actual patience... !"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Way too early. You are having a bout of Spring fever.
    lol, but I don't blame you. Our Winter sucked, and we both want to move forward into the wonderful Spring and new growth that accompanies it.
    Damn! I truly love Spring.
    Otherwise, keep the rolls of plastic sheeting and hold-down rocks at the ready.
    I'm about 4 weeks from the planting stage... But I am suffering from spring fever, so I got the bales started about a week early. It takes the bales 3 weeks to season. Seasoning an extra week won't hurt at all....
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I plan to try the straw bales myself this year, we have had a bunch of rain here but im holding out just a bit longer on setting up my bales.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    F249FB30-C095-42A2-85A0-B6846B022DBC.jpeg

Going to be awhile before we plant outside. This photo was taken this past Thursday and we have another front moving into the region Monday night. We will start things in our greenhouse sometime in April then plant after the full moon in May.

Im interested in your straw bail method. Can you guys take some pictures as you go and explain the process in this thread? I have awesome soil here but I’m interested in what other people do.
    Scorpiusb likes this.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73, Team Remington 700 #63, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135, Team Winchester #131, Team 1894 #515

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendawg View Post

Im interested in your straw bail method. Can you guys take some pictures as you go and explain the process in this thread? I have awesome soil here but I’m interested in what other people do.
    It is just growing your plants in de-composing straw or alfalfa... You lay the bales on their sides on top of a weed barrier, soak with water, sprinkle each bale with a 1/2 cup of 29-0-0 or higher fertilizer every other day until seasoned ( 2ish weeks for straw, 3ish weeks for alfalfa ), poke a hole big enough for the new plant and a small amount of soil, plant it and water... Fertilize as normal after that, once a month or so with a 10-10-10 is what I'll use...
    turbobug and Kendawg like this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The initial start of composting takes up a lot of nitrogen and requires a fertilizer with 29-0-0 or higher. I'm using a lawn fertilizer with 32-0-0...

And NO weed killer in the fertilizer, like a weed and feed... You'll just kill the new plants when you plant them... Using 1/2 cup every other day will end up with a lot of weed killer in each bale... Bad, bad, bad...

After the first few days the bales will start to get warm and even hot after a week or so... Wait until they cool down after 2 or 3 weeks before planting in them...
    Kendawg likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I laid the bales on their sides in a row of 5 and then secured them together ( probably not needed )...

100_3568.JPG
    100_3569.JPG
    100_3570.JPG
    Kendawg likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Started some Bell peppers this morning too...
    Kendawg likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links