Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What are you going to plant?

5K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  Daltond 
#1 ·
Anybody going to try something new?.
I am going to plant a new spot in the woods along my one tractor trail . It's going to take a lot of work, mite look into renting a yorkrake, that's something I don't have,
This project is on my bucket list .

#2 ·
Tomatoes,potatoes,and my World Class atomic hot peppers. I have a raised garden,it's old clawfoot tubs in a deer-proof area. A hobby garden. When the deer hear the old Daisy being levered,they're moving! With a little practice you can lob a BB well over a hundred yards. They hate that.

#11 ·
I started some tomato plants from seeds.Got em In styrofoam cups on porch.My girl will put them in five gallon buckets.I also grow ghost peppers and eggplant,all in 5 gal buckets.The sand in my back yard sucks.
I am thinking about boxing in an area with 2x12s and filling it with black dirt.But for now,the 5 gal buckets are fine.I get enough tomatoes to where I do not need to get the hot house garbage sold at the local supermarkets.

#15 ·
Around 45-50 tomato plants of different varieties + any volunteer ones that come up and the wife tags for "do not destroy" ... 100 or so onions ... Radishes ... okra ... peppers of several varieties ... cucumbers ... 20 or so squash ... Italian Green Beans ... and the yearly let's try growing this - what ever whim that might be.

Then there will be the different varieties of 40 or so pumpkins that are put into the pumpkin garden.

After getting this started I get to do it all over again in similar fashion at my sister-in-laws and then move down the road and do a repeat at the wife's aunt although hers isn't quite so involved.

Before any of this gets done I am going to have to get the hitch on a 4 bottom lister I purchased last summer changed out from a Category II to a Category I to mate with my tractors hitch. I have been rowing the gardens for years with a 10 horse Troy-Bilt Roto Tiller with a lister bottom attachment. I am getting a little more mature - ( translate to older ) and this little chore has become more physical work than I or my Doctors really want me to tackle. So, I'll let the Little Deere do the work.

Side note to this is - I hate gardens ... love what comes out of them but hate every thing else about it. The wife lives for plants and flowers so this is her gig. I just get to prepare and maintain after she plants.

#17 ·
I will add a few more Blueberry bushes, a couple more apple trees, an additional strawberry bed. Plus the usual peppers, tomato plants, green beans, squash, musk melon and onions.

I will plant a few Linden trees for my honey bees.

This summer I will plant some ground hogs if they get into the garden like last year.

#21 ·
I don't have much space, so I am on herbs, all kinds.
There will be new ones added .... need more thyme, rosemary , basil , fennel , parsley and origanum.
My planters will then overflow, but first we have to get through winter here.
Yup, I am at the bottom of this ball of earth.
Winter (hunting season) is rapidly approaching!
Maybe I should've planted some 30-30 Winchester Power Point 170gr's bushes, I am running low and they are becoming very scarce over here....dang!
:elefant:

#22 ·
Already frost seeded some Red Clover into a food plot for the deer. Will be planting carrots, Swiss chard, kale, beans zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and some herbs for us.

#23 ·
I guess this says a lot about me but I was figgerin he was asking about food plots for the tasty animals! See I guess I am a odd but since I have 500 blueberry bushes and end up with more berries than I can deal with during the peak of growing season I trade them for all the good stuff you folks are growing. I get all kinds of maters, cukes,peppers, melons, beans, etc. So my efforts are going to focus on fattening up the critters I like to eat with continued progress on my food plot, and oh yeah pickin berries.

so I planted 1 acre of clover and chicory last year and it is really doing well. last visit it was greening up nice and looking good, the deer are keeping it mowed down to about 3 inches and deer poop all over just adding more nutrients to the soil! I cleared and bush hogged another acre of the field last fall so I will be prepping this now. I will go in and spray some herbicide in the next few weeks when the weeds begin to green, then put a couple tons of lime and disk all summer with nutrients and crops planted in the early fall. I am considering planting some tubers like turnips, maybe some carrots, radishes, and part of it I may plant some milo or other seed baring grasses to invite the quail back in and maybe over seed with some oats.

With any luck it will continue to be the feeding area for deer bear and turkey. I don't normally harvest the bear and i don't like to eat turkey but they both entertaining to watch. I hope to fatten up some deer this year so I can have a freezer full of tasty critter, so that is what I m planting this year..............

good thread........

#24 ·
I guess this says a lot about me but I was figgerin he was asking about food plots for the tasty animals!

I had the same train of thought.

1.5 acre plot of clover/rye for me this year.
May also experiment with a small plot of straight rye utilizing the "throw and mow" method of planting.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Last year I had a little mad money so instead of buying a rifle or other stuff I got a 3 point hitch mounted rotor tiller. 4 foot to match my tractor. Use it on the garden as it digs deeper than the push type and it chews things up a bit more. Planted a patch of clover last year with it but rocks are a challenge on my place. I have a hay field that needs work and I will be going out and hitting some of the dead spots (guy that rented it left the bales on too long in some areas). Renter is retired now and I have a pasture he rented that will need mowing. I have a brush mower that I use for that type of work. Need to find another renter but I may have to fix a few things up first. mounted rotor tiller is nice in that one can spot plant areas where the clover is getting thin. Don't have to do the whole plot like with a plow system.

DEP

#26 ·
We planted 120 fir trees, a Japanese black pine, and one incense cedar last Sunday. We plan to plant a few more apple and pear trees and add to our gooseberry patch in the coming weeks.

Commercial vegetables have been a pain to grow here. Corn never does well. Lettuce and cabbage require waging a continuous campaign against an army of slugs. Beans do okay but don't produce as well here as in better bean-friendly locations. So, as far as vegetables go, all we do is plant a couple of tomatoes plants and a few cabbages in pots on the rear porch.

Apples, pears, and cherries do VERY well out here. We've also planted gooseberries and black raspberries and those do well. What we can absolutely depend on is an over abundance of wild red huckleberries, salmon berries, trailing raspberries, and three kinds of blackberries. They ripen at slightly different times and we eat them fresh and frozen throughout the year. We also eat a good amount of deer fern and miner's lettuce every year because they're tasty as well as free for the picking.

#27 ·
Onions, lettuce, radishes, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, potatoes, cantaloupe. Oh cannas and Marigolds makes my GF happy, almost forgot strawberries and rhubarb. Btw are there a better strawberry than the June bearing variety? They are good tasting but bear for a week or so and that's it. Just wondering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.