The most dangerous place to go on weekends.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: The most dangerous place to go on weekends.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

The most dangerous place to go on weekends.

A weekend rant for an incurable problem.

First off, if the Mod deems this material is more suited to the "Less-than-useless Drivel" thread; by all means feel free to move it.

I had to go to one of the super-malls, (mall, name unimportant - it's "everymall") yesterday afternoon.

Times sure have changed, and for the worse. Common sense, and common courtesy are dead, dead, dead!

Driving your car into a mall parking lot is, flat out, one of the most dangerous places you can go into, especially on the weekends.

We have forgotten our manners. We have forgotten "situational awareness" safety - look where you are, look around you. Pay attention!

We used to be taught this by our parents - be aware of cars backing out of a parking space. You could get "run over"!

Pretty simple: "don't walk in back of a car that is "backing up"!

Nowadays, everyone is too impatient, and/or too focused on 'texting' while walking behind the car that "I'm about to run you down with!"

Lordy, I just want to jump out of my truck, sometimes - like yesterday, and give 'em "what for", but all I'd get for my troubles would be 'single-digit' salutes.

My biggest fear is that I will, inevitably, hear the screams of agony and horror, and the realization that I just squashed someone's little toddler because I didn't see them, because the parent wasn't tending to them as they should. Still, it would be my fault, no doubt - but still, a dead child is a dead child.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't count for much in that circumstance.

So, a general admonishment to all of us - please, be patient; be generous to that jerk who is driving 30 m.p.h. through a parking lot to get to a space before you get there. Let the one who is backing out, the room,and safe space for him to get on his, or her way.

I'm the first one to remind myself - every time I go into this arena.

Have a safe motoring day, ya'll.

No dents, here!

Gr8rtst.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Parking lots can be fun...

I am kinda liking the Roundabouts (Oregon has discovered this super collider and wants them everywhere).
    They put 3 in... in a community of 60,000 that serves half a Million several years ago.

Twice I have gone down and parked on a side street to watch the circus of the biggest and busiest one in work hour traffic (I think I will start selling tickets to this event).
    who knows but most of the drivers been driving this for at least 10 yrs...
    Friday night...work hour traffic and I saw about 45 min of ............. speeders, people who wouldn't go when 1/2 the circle was empty for them... seen one guy stop in the circle
    to let the traffic on his right enter the circle (telling ya this was funner than WWF at its best).

People... I am tellin ya... we know some people don't know how to drive, but if you have a roundabout in your hood you just have to go witness the event from as far off the sidewalk
    as you can get
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Forgot about the "roundabouts". Yeah, they've been popping up here over the last few years.

Had to be something from Europe - had to be. Doesn't make them a good idea.

It would be nice if someone would tell everybody who has a drivers' license how to negotiate them without causing a pile-up.

I've seen a couple. Unbelievable!

Gr8rtst.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I got used to round-a-bouts while serving in the UK, and kinda' like them myself. The problem I've seen with some put in more recently in some towns around here, is that they are sort of small in comparison to those I used a lot, and more an afterthought so to say. Some I used overseas are so large, you almost don't know you're using one. City planners here seem to be trying to squeeze them into to a lay-out designed more for traffic signals originally, and not enough real estate/room to do it right. If designed into the early stages of city planning, they work pretty darn good. The advantages are you don't have to stop, not wasting gas or time waiting for a signal to change, or the left/right turn arrows to finally get done, and also the less pollution angle bonus due to all that. Plus, if you screwed up missing the turn/street you wanted, just keep going around to get back to it in short order, ha!

Btw, MO now has a new area for threads similar to this, be it life's happenings and/or thoughts that don't quite fit elsewhere and to "chat about stuff" so to say. It's called Gunrunners Grotto & Smoking Lounge just below the Asylum in the main menu. I can move it there if you want..?
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Lowe's parking lot on a Sunday!

Just today! I always park far enough away from the moron's here! But chezz one woman blowing her horn like a mad-cow! One man driving like on a interstate!

Rap music, coming from a one ton!

That's just walking to front doors! Got my 12" chain for Echo tree trimmer, only one chain on that whole rack! The rest of box's was empty! Stolen!

Now to make it back to truck with out getting run over in parking lot!

ca'jun56
    Nuclearmac, msharley, me and 3 others like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We have lots of roundabouts, they work really well and are far better than crossroads and traffic lights. They allow the smooth flow of traffic, with one simple rule, give way to your right. I am not saying they will work everywhere, but they do here in the UK. Even the magic roundabout in Hemel Hampstead. If you want scary, google a pic of that one.... Been round it myself a few times. You can actually go both ways!!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_...mel_Hempstead)
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The most dangerous place to go on a weekend... anywhere in Chicago, especially the south side.
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-05-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you want a real terrifying experience, go to Bermuda, rent a moped, and then let your backwards-wired brain try to sort out a roundabout when THEY ARE DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!

RHP
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8rtst View Post
    Forgot about the "roundabouts". Yeah, they've been popping up here over the last few years.

Had to be something from Europe - had to be. Doesn't make them a good idea.

It would be nice if someone would tell everybody who has a drivers' license how to negotiate them without causing a pile-up.

I've seen a couple. Unbelievable!

Gr8rtst.
    Yield to traffic in the circle!! I'm sure it looked good on paper.

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    We have lots of roundabouts, they work really well and are far better than crossroads and traffic lights. They allow the smooth flow of traffic, with one simple rule, give way to your right. I am not saying they will work everywhere, but they do here in the UK. Even the magic roundabout in Hemel Hampstead. If you want scary, google a pic of that one.... Been round it myself a few times. You can actually go both ways!!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_...mel_Hempstead)
    "give way to your right". tranteruk you don't say ? You guys yield to your right and we should yield to our left ? that might explain a bunch
    I'd like to think those who have practiced these things for a year... could mix like experienced dancers.
    MidBigWest likes this.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links