The most dangerous place to go on weekends. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: The most dangerous place to go on weekends.

KG
    Lil Sis Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8rtst View Post
    A weekend rant for an incurable problem.

First off, if the Mod deems this material is more suited to the "Less-than-useless Drivel" thread; by all means feel free to move it.

I had to go to one of the super-malls, (mall, name unimportant - it's "everymall") yesterday afternoon.

Times sure have changed, and for the worse. Common sense, and common courtesy are dead, dead, dead!

Driving your car into a mall parking lot is, flat out, one of the most dangerous places you can go into, especially on the weekends.

We have forgotten our manners. We have forgotten "situational awareness" safety - look where you are, look around you. Pay attention!

We used to be taught this by our parents - be aware of cars backing out of a parking space. You could get "run over"!

Pretty simple: "don't walk in back of a car that is "backing up"!

Nowadays, everyone is too impatient, and/or too focused on 'texting' while walking behind the car that "I'm about to run you down with!"

Lordy, I just want to jump out of my truck, sometimes - like yesterday, and give 'em "what for", but all I'd get for my troubles would be 'single-digit' salutes.

My biggest fear is that I will, inevitably, hear the screams of agony and horror, and the realization that I just squashed someone's little toddler because I didn't see them, because the parent wasn't tending to them as they should. Still, it would be my fault, no doubt - but still, a dead child is a dead child.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't count for much in that circumstance.

So, a general admonishment to all of us - please, be patient; be generous to that jerk who is driving 30 m.p.h. through a parking lot to get to a space before you get there. Let the one who is backing out, the room,and safe space for him to get on his, or her way.

I'm the first one to remind myself - every time I go into this arena.

Have a safe motoring day, ya'll.

No dents, here!

Gr8rtst.
    I was taught in grade school to look both ways before crossing traffic - whether on a public road, or in a parking lot.
    I've had to slam on my brakes several times in parking lots, because of people walking from between cars, into my path of travel without looking. Pedestrians know they have right-of-way, but IMO, they should also use some common sense.
    Last edited by KG; 03-05-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    KansasGirl
    A'deezhi

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_zim View Post
    Over the course of time, round-abouts move more traffic with fewer accidents than traditional intersections. They're great for intersections with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or IOW, larger intersections with traffic lights, or that SHOULD otherwise have traffic lights.

We have a few of them here in Sugar Land, but they're at intersections or spurs that would be better-served with stop signs.

Yeah, but the "learning curve" - no pun intended, for today's drivers is long. This is the U.S. of A.; we need instant gratification, and patience and common courtesy are definitely not two of our cherished virtues.

It will take a long while.

Gr8rtst.
    Nuclearmac, KG, rclint and 3 others like this.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    PARKING LOTS!!! Or, if you are a coyote, in front of me!!!
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-05-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    KG, rclint, me and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I taught my kids not to walk behind cars, and never trust cars in a parking lot. I have seen babies barely old enough to walk running wild in busy parking lots, and their parents waddling down the center of the lane... Backing over, or running over a child is my worst nightmare, and I check under the back of my car/truck before backing out...

As for trying to make it into the store they have nice pretty white lines laid out for pedestrians to walk (they have the right of way) but many times I have seen people make solid 100% eye contact with me trying to cross while never slowing down... and some even speed up... most of these, or nearly all of these have been elderly drivers.
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rclint View Post
    I taught my kids not to walk behind cars, and never trust cars in a parking lot. I have seen babies barely old enough to walk running wild in busy parking lots, and their parents waddling down the center of the lane... Backing over, or running over a child is my worst nightmare, and I check under the back of my car/truck before backing out...

As for trying to make it into the store they have nice pretty white lines laid out for pedestrians to walk (they have the right of way) but many times I have seen people make solid 100% eye contact with me trying to cross while never slowing down... and some even speed up... most of these, or nearly all of these have been elderly drivers.
    I call them center walkers, yep strolling at ½ mile an hour blocking everyone. Geeze!!!
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-05-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    moofy07, rclint and MidBigWest like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8rtst View Post
    Yeah, but the "learning curve" - no pun intended, for today's drivers is long. This is the U.S. of A.; we need instant gratification, and patience and common courtesy are definitely not two of our cherished virtues.

It will take a long while.

Gr8rtst.
    Probably less learning curve than you think. At a 4-way intersection with 3-4 lanes of traffic transiting it from all 4 directions, a round-about will simplify things for drivers. To enter a round-about, you only need to worry about what's on your left. To transit a round-about, you mostly just need to worry about people entering to your right. If you get pinched and can't make your exit, well, you're still in the round-about and try to make it on the next pass. Still better than sitting at a red light through 3 or 4 cycles until it's your turn.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_zim View Post
    Over the course of time, round-abouts move more traffic with fewer accidents than traditional intersections. They're great for intersections with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or IOW, larger intersections with traffic lights, or that SHOULD otherwise have traffic lights.

We have a few of them here in Sugar Land, but they're at intersections or spurs that would be better-served with stop signs.
    Ah Ha !........ not true.... fact no comprehensive data has been assembled on collateral damage of a roundabout compared to controlled intersections.
    I know... i asked planners and engineers at 2 Public works departments for data.

What is said... is even if we have more accidents... it is car damage and less injury to people... (I still don't know how bike riders and pedestrians fair in super coliders ?)
    we all know controlled intersections get some ugly accidents.
    moofy07, rclint, sgt_zim and 1 others like this.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    My family reckon the most dangerous place is the toilet after I have been eating beans and curry.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

Banned
    Member #
    Cabrini Greens in Chicago.
    MidBigWest, rclint and moofy07 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Ah Ha !........ not true.... fact no comprehensive data has been assembled on collateral damage of a roundabout compared to controlled intersections.
    I know... i asked planners and engineers at 2 Public works departments for data.

What is said... is even if we have more accidents... it is car damage and less injury to people... (I still don't know how bike riders and pedestrians fair in super coliders ?)
    we all know controlled intersections get some ugly accidents.
    Then there's this from Washington State DOT: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roun...s/benefits.htm
    MidBigWest, moofy07, me and 1 others like this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links