How'd you get into GPS? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: How'd you get into GPS?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My first encounter with GPS was when I was task to setup a Stratum 1 GPS clocking source to time and synchronize all of our network switching equipment in the Central Office I worked in. I had to select, purchase, and deploy\implement a redundant GPS clock system which was run off of 48VDC battery power and then setup distribution to all equipment for timing. The clock had to be cascaded down to match what type of clock input was required on each piece of equipment which could be anywhere from T1, E1, or 10 mhz clock. This was one of the more critical pieces needed in order to maintain synchronized operational timing and coordinate work done worldwide with other offices on GMT time.
    Victor N TN likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    I got into GPS due to hunting somewhat unfamiliar territory in the Allegheny National Forest in PA. That was back in the 1990's. Technology has come so far that now I have GPS tracking for my bird dog.
    Must be a smart dog or a very easy to use GPS.
    I was just wondering Judson; does that bird dog know how to down load updated maps and everything? Or does he just track with the map you put in it?

CJ
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My first GPS was a hand held Garmin I bought to take on my boat back in the mid 90’s. It was amazing how much gas I would save making a direct run back to a channel marker from20 miles out compared to using a compass and missing the mark by a mile or two after trolling and drifting while fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Western Tennessee, close to the Big Muddy - but not TOO close!
    Member #
    Bought my 1st one back in '98 and it was a Garmin. Needed it for back up to my partner's Garmin. We were off on "another Adventure" to find "our" drilling rig in the steppes of the Republic of Kazakhstan. When your destination is about 250 -300 miles from the end of the pavement, it's kinda important to be able navigate. Still had my compass, but decent maps were hard to come by. In any case, the Garmin got us there and back multiple times.
    I "donated" my Garmin to my Translator when I came out the last time in Dec. 1999 (landed back in the USA about 16:00 EST on Dec. 31, 1999).
    I haven't been out of the Good Ole USA since and have NO PLANS to do so! Am too old to be traipsing around in the swamps or mountains anymore (this old paratrooper has bad knees, hips, etc.), so the GPS in my truck or on my phone serves me well enough.

WYT-P
    Skyhunter
    Last edited by Skyhunter; 07-20-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Corrected return date.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Flying airplanes in Alaska, first was a Garmin 100? Then a smaller 55, would be flying along fat-dumb & happy, when, the GPS would say, “poor coverage”!!! They didn’t have all of the satellites up yet and you would hit gaps...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links