What caliber will take care of mountain lion?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What caliber will take care of mountain lion?

Wrangler
    Member #

What caliber will take care of mountain lion?

no I am not hunting them. it is illegal in missouri, but people have been seeing them a lot more now and some are even coming up to people's houses in some areas. I have a 40 cal pistol but if that won't do it maybe i will get a 30/30. does anyone know what would be a good round for defense from these big cats?
    pow pow!

XL7 30 06.........................Team X7 #20

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Anything you would use to hunt a Missouri whitetail will be plenty for a cat.

Wrangler
    Member #
    ok thanks, i wont be trying the .40 but will try to get something bigger
    pow pow!

XL7 30 06.........................Team X7 #20

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Your .40 will do, but more guns can't hurt - I'd keep a good black rifle in .223 or .308 in case they came in groups, and of course a tactical shotty too for close quarters work.
    336ER likes this.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    a 40 is plenty. If that is what you shoot best, than it's probably your preferred option. With cats, I don't think you need to woory as much about stopping power as you do about how fast you can deliver a shot. If a cat does attack, they rarely attack adult males, there is a chance that cat will be on you before you know it's there. Rifles are almost useless in that scenario, but your handgun is a good choice. my 2 cents
    msharley likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    if it is close and intent on doing you harm,(the only way you could legaly kill it claiming self defense) I don't think your chances would be to good with just about anything. their speed, and ability to jump far, claws and teeth. even if you were able to hit a fast moving cat with a pistol or rifle nailing the brain/spine/neck, it would be on you like white on rice. I'd go with a 12ga semi auto shotgun with an extended mag and 00 buckshot and pray. they hunt by ambush and their prey usualy never see them until they have their teeth on it's neck. the few human attacks are mostly mistaken identity, suprize encounters or a sick/starving animal. we had huge ones in Kiowa colorado and I've heard them scream at night, seen their tracks/spoor, where they trailed and killed deer, but never saw one in 3 years.
    msharley and BubbaJon like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Good luck with those lions, sad thing is when you stop hunting them, they become accustome to humans and they are not afraid. Same thing is happening in Alaska. They put a moritorium on Brown Bears, same as Grisly, Kodiak and coastal bears, all the same bear. Now- instead of heading the opposit way when they see humans, they become crouius and dangerous. This behaivor change has happened over the last 10 - 15. since they stoped hunting them, Any way I am off target....Any 30/30 with a corlock 170 - 180grs will do the trick. If you have a 308 or a 338, those will work as well. If you are talking about a 40 cal. handgun, you will need a Plus load and a barrel leangth of about 6". Bullet can't reach sufficient velocity with anything shorter IMO. Beside, you don't want to have to get that close, less than 30 yard and a head shot. Rifles work best, 30/30 to say a Marlin 444 with 265gr bullet. Anything in between, shot placement is critical and if you don't have a perfect shot, don't take it. You really do not want a wounded cat any where near you, your family or the neigbors. If you are having cat problems, I would first call the DNR and see if they can trap it, and take it far far away.

They will tag it, if it shows up again near cattle or property, they they will have to destroy it.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Truth is, I get stocked by cats quite often. I do not get alarmed because cats are just plain curious. I almost never see them. I find out they are there by back tracking and finding their tracks on mine. Sometimes I can hear them moving along next to me, just out of sight. On three occasions in my life, when I change direction cutting off of road or trail, I run dab smack into them. They get more confident when they can anticipate your direction. They can anticipate your directions when you are sticking to a trail or logging road. During last year's hunting season, I was constantly being followed by young, probably a 2 year old, mountain lion. I kept hearing it and it's tracks were all over the place when I back tracked. I've never been afraid of them as I had my first face to face run-in with a cat at age 11. I have heard a few stories of cats being fought off with sticks and rocks. People hunt mountain lions with 22 mags and 38 specials. In fact, when I am scouting and getting harassed by cats, I feel quite comfortable having my 38 snubnose sitting free in the holster.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    They shoot treed Mt Lion with anything from a .22/.22 mag and up here in Utah. Your 40 is fine.
    Sweetwater likes this.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nachogrande View Post
    the few human attacks are mostly mistaken identity, suprize encounters or a sick/starving animal. we had huge ones in Kiowa colorado and I've heard them scream at night, seen their tracks/spoor, where they trailed and killed deer, but never saw one in 3 years.
    Exactly - chances are slim you'll even see it much less be attacked by it. Remember they attack from altitude - not likely they'll come at you from a bush. Think like you're in bear country and don't surprise one - make noise. Just practice normal prudence when in the woods.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links