walkie -talkie ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: walkie -talkie ?

Sidewinder
    Member #

walkie -talkie ?

Hey guys the wife and i have used our cell phs to comicate while hunting but i want to get a set of walkie-talkies or small radios 2-way what do you suggest,i can't spend big bucks on them.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have and use hand held radios. They have a range of maybe a couple of miles and run of three AA or AAA batteries each. I have maybe three sets of two, and have managed to adjust the frequency setting so they all match up. So I can use three or four say on the same net.

Maybe Amazon, just search for handheld radios. Dont have to be expensive. The range will vary a lot with the surroundings. In a city around buildings much reduced, open flat areas go to the max. All sorts of uses.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    You can get a dual band Baofeng 2M handytalkie for about $20.
    You can program it to the FRS (family radio system) frequencies easily.
    Why? Because the Baofeng's have a full 5 or 8 watts of power which is much much more than commercial WT's.
    I can talk easily to my wife in the house when I in a park surrounded by trees 2 miles away. Can't do that with the Cobra's and such.
    I didn't say this because technically you need a HAM license to operate at higher power.

Bonus - these will also tune in NOAA weather and some models also have FM radio and a flashlight
    Plus wait! There's more! They're rechargeable and last days with a single charge.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_2

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Why do you want to fuss with a family band radio when you're going to have a cell phone with you anyway?

It's not legal to use the Baofung radios on 2 meters unless you have an amateur radio license. If you use 2 meter frequencies as a net, you could be interfering with legitimate users. Yes, you could program them for FRS frequencies only and have the 5-7 watts output, but your ability to talk both ways will still be limited by your position, hill top vs valley, wife in basement, or car, etc. You need reliable signal station to station.

Cell phones use repeaters, and can get by with far less power because of their multiple towers, unless you're really in the boonies, where a Baofung won't get out either.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gun Wizard
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...io-service-frs

There are 22 FRS channels. Each channel has a bandwidth of 12.5 kHz, but the power of each channel may vary as indicated below. All channels are shared with GMRS, so you may hear communications from licensed GMRS stations on these channels.

Channel No. Frequency Power (ERP in Watts)
    1 462.5625 2 W
    2 462.5875 2 W
    3 462.6125 2 W
    4 462.6375 2 W
    5 462.6625 2 W
    6 462.6875 2 W
    7 462.7125 2 W
    8 467.5625 0.5 W
    9 467.5875 0.5 W
    10 467.6125 0.5 W
    11 467.6375 0.5 W
    12 467.6625 0.5 W
    13 467.6875 0.5 W
    14 467.7125 0.5 W
    15 462.5500 2 W
    16 462.5750 2 W
    17 462.6000 2 W
    18 462.6250 2 W
    19 462.6500 2 W
    20 462.6750 2 W
    21 462.7000 2 W
    22 462.7250 2 W
    Using any of the GMRS channels with an RF output exceeding 2 watts requires a GMRS license.

Operating a Family Radio Service (FRS) Unit

You can operate a FRS transmitter at any place where the FCC regulates radio communications, subject to certain limitations. A FRS transmitter may not be modified and must be certified by the FCC.
    None of the FRS channels are assigned for the exclusive use of any user. You must cooperate in the selection and use of the channels in order to make the most effective use of them and to reduce the possibility of interference.
    The usual range of an FRS device on channels 8-14 is less than one-half mile, but longer range communications can be achieve on channels 1-7 and 15-22 depending on conditions. You may not interconnect FRS transmitters and radios with the telephone system.
    GMRS FRS Dual-service radios
    Some manufacturers received approval to market radios that were certified under both FRS and GMRS, which allowed users to use one device to operate on FRS channels, which does not require a license, and GMRS, which requires an FCC license. In 2017, the FCC changed its rules to stop equipment authorization of FRS dual-service radios and it changed the rules for both FRS and GMRS such that existing radios would be reclassified as either FRS or GMRS to remove the confusion of whether a license was needed for legal operation.
    Specifically, if you have a radio that was sold as a dual-service FRS/GMRS radio and it is limited to the channels and power limits provided under the “Data” tab on this page, then that device can be operated as an FRS device without a licensing requirement. However, if the device exceeds the limits under the “Data” tab or includes any of the following channels (467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000, and 467.7250 MHz), then it is a GMRS device and an individual FCC license is needed to operate the device other than on the channels and with the bandwidth and power limits shown under the “Data” tab.
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Why do you want to fuss with a family band radio when you're going to have a cell phone with you anyway?

It's not legal to use the Baofung radios on 2 meters unless you have an amateur radio license. If you use 2 meter frequencies as a net, you could be interfering with legitimate users. Yes, you could program them for FRS frequencies only and have the 5-7 watts output, but your ability to talk both ways will still be limited by your position, hill top vs valley, wife in basement, or car, etc. You need reliable signal station to station.

Cell phones use repeaters, and can get by with far less power because of their multiple towers, unless you're really in the boonies, where a Baofung won't get out either.
    Apples and oranges.
    He said he wanted to user it while hunting = boonies. You could construe his statement to mean phone home - ain't gonna happen with any HT unless you're a HAM running 2M and use repeaters (assuming there ARE repeatewrs in the area).
    Cell phones last far less than one of these radios since the radio only uses real power when keyed and cell phones constantly search for a signal running the battery down.
    Out in the boonies it is highly unlikely that FRS would interfere with any other services.
    Yes it's against the FCC rules to run higher than 2 watts - the Baofeng has a low power mode if your conscience bothers you.
    Yooper, Vooch and capt greg like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Another option is get a couple of 5 watt marine radio handhelds { they also have weather channels } , highly unlikely they'll interfere with anyone in Tn. Just use one of the obscure upper channels like 66 or 67 .
    BubbaJon likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I bought 'I-com' uhf hand held radios. They are first class quality (many of their products are used by the aviation industry (head-phones, mic's, etc.)).

They are rechargeable (and also have a car charger) and the charge is plenty for a 3 day hunt without recharging. They are a little on the heavier side due there bullet-proof construction. Not a big problem, but if you have to hike out of the bush, every oz. counts.
    Last edited by Prickle Farmer; 12-26-2019 at 03:00 AM.
    BubbaJon likes this.
    Prickle Farmer

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Which model did you get ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    I bought 'I-com' uhf hand held radios. They are first class quality (many of their products are used by the aviation industry (head-phones, mic's, etc.)).

They are rechargeable (and also have a car charger) and the charge is plenty for a 3 day hunt without recharging. They are a little on the heavier side due there bullet-proof construction. Not a big problem, but if you have to hike out of the bush, every oz. counts.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post

Icom is pretty much one of the gold standards in HAM radio. Problem is they're pricey.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links