Hunting ear buds?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Hunting ear buds?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Hunting ear buds?

About had my ears blown out by my own gun this year during deer season, it got me to thinking that maybe I should invest in hearing protection, BUT I want to be able to hear BETTER while wearing them.

Anyone ever had a good experience with wearing hunting hearing enhancement with blast protection in earbud style?

DR
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106
    "Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    good question, will be curious to read the replys. No ear damage here this season, no deer yet. congrats least you have pulled the trigger.
    drinva and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Tried some Walkers ear buds and can’t like them.

i use Predator pro ears gold. They increase your ability to hear and I can’t tell the direction of sound. I have a cheaper set for range work and while they amplify sound I can not tell direction.
    Golphin and Gareth Holland like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I use my electronic range muffs. I find that they do two things for me. The first is the sound amplification. I can hear things much further away than without. Second is they help keep me warm.

With 20 years of playing the drums and 10 years of working in a nuke plant and I need to do what ever is needed to preserve my hearing.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I use these. https://www.goaxil.com/shop/personal...errer=sportear
    They are noise cancelling (I use them for target shooting range work) and amplify "slightly" at minimum sensitivity. Also excellent for hunting because they are so small. Recharge the internal battery from a USB connection, but that could be a problem if you're out hunting for an extended period.
    It isn't advertised as such, but they seem to be reasonably weatherproof. How do I know? Inadvertently put them in a shirt pocket, and forgot them. Shirt went into a full wash cycle, after which I "found" them. Dried them in the sun, recharged, and they had survived. I don't think you should test them like that - they could die.
    Jump in quick - they're on sale at the moment. About half price.
    drinva, Maineiac, memtb and 1 others like this.
    92, 97, 39, 39a 1953 pre mg (just), 39a, 218Bee 94CL, 25-20 94CL, 32-20 94CL, 30-30 336XLR x2, 308MExp 308MX, 308MExp MX308LR, 308MExp 308MXLR, 357M 94 x2, 38-55 336CB, 45-70 1895CB,
    Winchester 9422 22LR, Browning BL-22 22LR, Browning BLR 81 223Rem, Savage 99 250-3000, Savage 99 308Win, Browning 1895 30-06,
    Lever addict? What a drug!! Keeps me fixed for days (or is that daze?)

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I used to use the muff-type Walker's Game Ear. They did amplify sound (which I needed), and automatically shut off at gunshot to protect what hearing I had left. Three years ago, my family finally beat me up enough to go to Miracle Ear. Obviously my hearing aids amplify sound, and they do have automatic shut off. The protection might not be quite as good since I've got "buds" in my ears and not muffs, but with the few shots taken while deer hunting I'm not worrying about losing more hearing due to that (and, obviously, I have hearing aids now anyway!). I am reminded, on very cold days, that the Walker's kept my ears warm. (When I go on a dove shoot, I put plugs in and don't relay on my hearing aids for protection - but then, I do a lot more shooting in a dove field than I do while deer hunting.)
    Maineiac and gunscrewguy like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I blew out my right ear shooting my .338WM and have used my Walkers electric muffs while hunting, and they work well. You may look like a dork but what the heck.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I use a set of inexpensive staggered ear plugs and a set of 25db ear muffs at the range. In the field I keep the ear plugs in and the ear muffs around my neck. Keep in mind that I am not stalking. I hunt Coyotes so I'm sitting on a tarp and waiting for Coyotes I call in. Stalking would require muffs that you can slide over your ears just before you take a shot. Never shoot a firearm of any kind without hearing protection. Once your hearing is gone, its gone.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by miket156 View Post
    i use a set of inexpensive staggered ear plugs and a set of 25db ear muffs at the range. In the field i keep the ear plugs in and the ear muffs around my neck. Keep in mind that i am not stalking. I hunt coyotes so i'm sitting on a tarp and waiting for coyotes i call in. Stalking would require muffs that you can slide over your ears just before you take a shot. never shoot a firearm of any kind without hearing protection. Once your hearing is gone, its gone.

mike t.
    amen !!!
    Maineiac and miket156 like this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    For the past several years I was using non-electronic ear plugs, but felt it was hurting my ability to hear things around me too much. I used over the ear electronic hearing protection at the range, but itís hot where I hunt (73 F yesterday!) so I didnít use them in the field.

This year I finally caved and bought a pair of Walkerís Razor XV in-ear electronic hearing protection. So far they work pretty well, and look like the oh-so-common Bluetooth headphones many folks wear now. I even use them while flying to cut down on the ambient noise. Battery life has been fine, just remember to charge them often.

My only real complaint isnít limited to them, itís common to all electronic hearing protection. If you use an ozone generator in your blind/stand, it WILL amplify the fanís drone, making wildlife noise almost as hard to hear as if you had regular ear plugs in.

At the end of the day, I will not discharge any firearm without hearing protection anymore unless itís a CCW personal defense situation. Ive done it from enclosed spaces before (vehicle, hard sided blind, etc) and it took several hours for the ringing to stop. So while the electronic ears are pricey, it beats accelerating my already declining ability to hear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Maineiac, drinva, miket156 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links