It's not about the kill - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: It's not about the kill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Interesting - here in the northwest - a "swamp donkey" is slang for moose. Nothing else. 'Cause they look a bit like a donkey, and frequent the swamps, marshes, wetlands.

I take it that you were not referring to a moose?

Names of animals change in different locations.

Guy
    Guy, I lived in Oregon/Washington and Cali for a while. But, having said that I, when you get to know me, have a vivid imagination. I have many terms for an old large antlered deer. Big Moe, Mossy horn, Brutus, and Swamp Donkey which I made up in my time in Louisiana. I may name them buy horn shape, body shape or any other outstanding feature on they're anatomy. I hunted a double throat patched six point one time I called him Double P. Little Double P is my first buck and he has been on my wall for decades.

Swamp Donkey is one I named long ago because he had Spanish moss hung up in his antlers. Now I just use the term for a large old buck. This one happens to have chocolate horns with white tips like an elk. He is at lease 6 years old. He hangs out in a holler by a creek with thick vegetation.
    Last edited by Da Duke; 10-31-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    M700 likes this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Passed on a small doe a few weeks ago up in Ga for bow season, but did video her walkin' in and eating, continuously lookin' around as if something was behind her which I couldn't see due to position. Showed my buddy the video and got a lot of guff that I didn't shoot! Told him as far as I was concerned, I could have easily taken her (30 yards with a crossbow) and considered it a "kill" myself, but let her walk to see another day (and maybe produce one of the big boys someday)! Sometimes it's just nice to be out in the woods enjoying nature, irregardless of a "kill"!
    Pig Ninja likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I certainly watch more than I shoot. so far this year I have seen about a dozen deer all too small for shooting. going this weekend and hope the big boy steps out.
    M700 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    This was just for the kill.

Coyote 1.jpgcoyote 2.jpg
    Trotting toward me and smoke poled her at 61 yards. Drilled her right in the chest.
    M700, Pig Ninja and bassetman1974 like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    One of the best morning hunts I had I didn't take a deer. We had an antler restriction in the area , Antlerless or(3 point on one side). I was 20 feet up a tree with my bow.After sitting a while two fawns came in and started feeding. They kept looking back, and soon a spike came in but stood off a ways. Couldn't shoot him anyway. then a doe and fawn came in. The fawn came up and started feeding with the other two, the doe stood back out of range. Then a large hawk swooped in and landed on a branch at my eye level about 10 feet away. I watched this show for about 10 minutes, then got a lump in my throat and let out an involuntary soft cough. Poof! Everything dissapered in a flash!
    Da Duke, M700 and Pig Ninja like this.
    Team 45-70 Member #946
    Team Old Pharts #160
    Team 1894 #350

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft45 View Post
    One of the best morning hunts I had I didn't take a deer. We had an antler restriction in the area , Antlerless or(3 point on one side). I was 20 feet up a tree with my bow.After sitting a while two fawns came in and started feeding. They kept looking back, and soon a spike came in but stood off a ways. Couldn't shoot him anyway. then a doe and fawn came in. The fawn came up and started feeding with the other two, the doe stood back out of range. Then a large hawk swooped in and landed on a branch at my eye level about 10 feet away. I watched this show for about 10 minutes, then got a lump in my throat and let out an involuntary soft cough. Poof! Everything dissapered in a flash!
    We have a State wide three point rule and antlerless, for many years now.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Duke View Post
    Swamp Donkey is one I named long ago because he had Spanish moss hung up in his antlers. Now I just use the term for a large old buck. This one happens to have chocolate horns with white tips like an elk. He is at lease 6 years old. He hangs out in a holler by a creek with thick vegetation.
    Man - I'd love to see that buck! Best of luck tagging him.
    Da Duke likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I agree with a lot of these posters, it's all about the hunt for me, mostly about the "alone time", away from the total "crap", that is politics and TV today. So far this year, I've seen 1 eight pt., 2 seven pts., 1 six pt., 1 spike, and 3 does, the spike and six pt. got as close as 5 yrds., I don't care to eat venison anymore, and I really don't consider myself a "trophy hunter", but, they have to have a lot of horn, "antler", for me to consider flipping the safety off now days, I consider myself, " a deer watcher". T Rex
    Pig Ninja likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Passed on a small doe a few weeks ago up in Ga for bow season, but did video her walkin' in and eating, continuously lookin' around as if something was behind her which I couldn't see due to position. Showed my buddy the video and got a lot of guff that I didn't shoot! Told him as far as I was concerned, I could have easily taken her (30 yards with a crossbow) and considered it a "kill" myself, but let her walk to see another day (and maybe produce one of the big boys someday)! Sometimes it's just nice to be out in the woods enjoying nature, irregardless of a "kill"!
    Pretty much told my wife the same thing , I knew I could have shot either one but I didn't.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    For me the kill takes a backseat to the hunt. Thats why I'm not much for stand hunting. I get a bigger kick out of sneaking around in the woods even if I don't get one. My favorite hunting is in 2" of fresh snow, get on a track and go.
    Pig Ninja likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links