Does anyone have n Michigan hunting experience?
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Lenny_USMC
  • 8 Post By DrMike
  • 1 Post By wmmichael20

Thread: Does anyone have n Michigan hunting experience?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Does anyone have n Michigan hunting experience?

Hi everybody,

Does anyone have any experience hunting in Michigan? My wife has family near Merril, and we’ve been kicking around the idea of going up there for holidays and deer hunting. I’ve looked through the states hunters digest (probably not carefully enough) but can’t find a statement of legal calibers. I found some odd google search that talks about straight wall cartridges.

I have a .357 Carbine, 30-30, and .308 to choose from. Can anyone shed some light if there are any restrictions on these calibers?

Thanks

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Merril looks to be outside the Limited Firearm Deer Zone so any of your guns should be good, but don't take my word for it, make sure for yourself.

All of the MI hunting, fishing and trapping rules... https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...260---,00.html
    Hunting digest, firearm rules start on page 20... https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf

November 10-14 It is unlawful to carry afield or transport any rifle (including rimfire) or shotgun ifyou have buckshot, slug, ball loads, or cut shells. Exception: You may transport afirearm to your deer camp or to a target range during this period if the firearm isproperly transported (see pg. 21). A resident who holds a fur harvester license maycarry a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearm while hunting furbearers or checkinga trap line during the open season for hunting or trapping furbearing animals. Youalso may target shoot on your own property provided there is no attempt to takegame.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 11)In the Limited Firearm Deer Zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and alldeer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the followingfirearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are asfollows:
    • A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    • A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with blackpowder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    • A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or largerand loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- ormultiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in thebarrel and magazine combined.
    • A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow andfirearm.Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons below.
    • A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min.case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
    • A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - North of Limited Firearm Deer Zone(See pg. 11)Deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows,shotguns, and muzzleloading firearms, including black powder handguns. Itis legal to hunt deer north of the limited firearm deer zone with any caliber offirearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). During thefirearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow,crossbow and firearm. Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons below.
    Last edited by DrMike; 09-26-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: New info
    1Forecon, Ret_Eng, Vooch and 5 others like this.
    Team .45-70 #913
    Team Wheelguns #14
    Team Semi-Auto #7
    Team Remington 700 #65

Deadeye
    Member #
    Never hunted southern Michigan,big deer down there though. Call the local DNR field office and tell them where you will be hunting and they will tell you what is legal to use.
    Team 30 30 #1434.
    1953 336 SC.
    1953 336 RC.
    Team .35 Rem #785
    1983 336CS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I used to live just down the Rd from Merrill in the big town of Breckenridge, and center-fire rifle bigger than 22 caliber is legal for deer, that area is mostly open country farm Fields but there is some state land that is wooded north west of Merrill in Porter township that the hunting is good in. Have fun my good man.
    lever30 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I hunted within the Manistee Nat'l Forest back in 1975. This large area of public land is straight west of Merrill. I followed the riverbank south of the bridge at White Cloud for about 1.5 hours and found a heavily used deer crossing site. Then I simply followed the deer trail through an area of storm toppled hardwood trees and somewhat open terrain. After a few hundred yards of slow walking, I spotted a dandy 6 point buck with my binoculars. He was about 75 yards ahead of me. The time was about 11AM. My rifle was rested upon a limb and I fired my Remington slide action rifle when the front sight bead was centered on his shoulder. He toppled over and kicked a few times; then it was over. My factory 35 Remington ammo featured the famous core-lokt bullet slamming 200 grains of power through the chest organs.

My advise is to hunt the Manistee Forest after studying the topo map and looking for my site along the river. Choose a rifle that is not too heavy as you will be dragging your buck a couple miles or so.

Good hunting to you.

TR

Contributing Member
    Member #
    You aint gonna be far from Tony's I-75 in Birch Run. Also Frankenmuth.
    You could also head up to Oscoda or Grayling for good hunting.
    Note Grayling is home to an Artillery base live fire and all.
    Team 35 # 517
    Team Old Pharts # 224
    Team shotgun # 65
    Team 39 # 348
    Team 32special #139

Sidewinder
    Member #
    He will be even closer to the Tony's in st.louis and the one in hemlock...there is I think close to 10 location in the area.but your right the Burch run location is the flagship store with the best service and food in my opinion.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links