Deer Stand Recon - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Deer Stand Recon

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    If the wood box was made of treated wood it would be a delicacy. The bears are eating my 4x4 timbers I have built stands and pole barns with. I will take some photos of the damage on the treated lumber. They have completely eaten some of my cameras and all I find is small bits of plastic so not sure wood would work, but thanks for the idea. I would buy the steel cages for the cameras but they are not cheap. I will just keep buying cheap cameras and take my chances. Truly some of my older cameras have been inthe field about 3 years and the plastic degrades in that time frame anyway.

I use sprayers in July and August but once September hits my experience in Va and Nc is the plants are already in the downward mode of fall/winter and the efficacy of the herbicide is diminished, almost a waste this time of year.

Best is using pruners and selectively taking out small branches that interfere with shooting lanes or..........................use a 45-70 and not give a rats potoot about branches or trees that get in the way.....

I actually shot a buck a few years back through a small pine tree (4 inch), from about 20 yds. tree and buck fell on the spot!
    I know bears can be stubborn, but would think the nails/screws would be enough of a deterrent!
    Vooch, mrguvna and Ret_Eng like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Regarding treated wood. The company I worked for owned, among other ventures, a very large electric utility. The woodpeckers would give us fits cutting holes in our creosote power poles. They preferred the creosote poles - the fresher the better.

T.S.
    Vooch, mrguvna, Ret_Eng and 1 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    I know bears can be stubborn, but would think the nails/screws would be enough of a deterrent!
    ever heard the expression they eat nails and spit rust...................... I did put some 6 inch lag bolts in the 4x4 posts and I think it broke a tooth as there was blood on the post and the bear has not returned.
    Vooch, Texas Shooter and Ret_Eng like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Nope! Not even close...…..
    Texas Shooter and mrguvna like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I will start patrolling the woods with my favorite deer stand rifle. A Marlin 1895 with my special loads that will blow 2x4 clean in half. I usually bag several tree stands snuck in by the stick & string cult.
    Ret_Eng and mrguvna like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links