• 2 Post By M700
  • 2 Post By turbobug
  • 3 Post By Drm50
  • 1 Post By M700

Thread: 1st "wild" bears

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

1st "wild" bears

My first two bear hunts were in Ontario. The only bear I saw was a bear named Pete in a cage at a gas station. Bought him a Coke and Hershy bar. The following year on our 1st trip we were in the local Hotel and some of the older guys were talking with Canadians. The were joking that the Canadians only had one bear and only brought it out for post card pictures to lure Americans up to hunt. One guy said he would show us some bears right now if we wanted to take a short ride. We went on 10minute ride to town dump. In the lights we saw 3 bears rooting around the dump. A forth one was inside a 49 Stuedebaker. Canadian told us we should stake out the dump the next afternoon and shoot the bear when they filter in before dark. We never did shoot bears on the dump. Somehow it didn't seem right and who wants a picture of their kill with the bear hanging out of a junk car? Those bears were scraggly and looked like about 200 lbs at the most. They probably denned near the dump and live off garbage.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well I got plenty on my farm if you want to see them in the wild. I don't feed them on purpose but this time of year they are certainly enjoying my blueberry patch. Got a pic of this one the other day just before he tore the camera off the tree. I have decided that this year we are going to shoot a couple of them, I am sick of their antics, tearing up cameras and eating my 4x4 timbers supporting a pole barn. So a they need to be thinned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dr. A, Judson, miket156 and 7 others like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've managed to get a few photos of bears in the wild over the past few years. Pretty sure I've posted these before, but here they are again:

My youngest son and I have shot a few as well. Pretty good hunting for them here in the Cascades. We'll be out again in a couple of weeks, bear season opens August 1st.

Guy

mrguvna and Judson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I went to Ontario bear hunting about 4 years ago ,didn't see a bear but I heard a pack of wolves close to me two nights . worth the trip to me .before that I had only heard them on a cowboy movie .
    Vooch and M700 like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    My 1st trip to Ontario I saw no bears. I found some tracks, 1st bear tracks I had ever seen. There was still snow and it had been thawing in the day a freezing at night. I the open the snow was gone. I ended up near the edge of a lake and 50yds short of the back I got a wiff of something dead. Got half way there and wolves flushed out. At least 10. When they broke clear I nailed one and emptied the rifle on the others. My buddy was on a ridge behind me and herd me shoot and saw wolves. Came down to help me skin it out. He ask me why I didn't shoot at the other wolves. I told him I emptied the rifle on them. He said you are full of it, you only shot once. Turns out I must have got wolf fever. I nailed the first one and jacked the gun empty without shooting. I was 14 and never saw a wolf except in a zoo. I took a beating from the older guys all week on that one.
    M700, turbobug and Judson like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    My 1st trip to Ontario I saw no bears. I found some tracks, 1st bear tracks I had ever seen. There was still snow and it had been thawing in the day a freezing at night. I the open the snow was gone. I ended up near the edge of a lake and 50yds short of the back I got a wiff of something dead. Got half way there and wolves flushed out. At least 10. When they broke clear I nailed one and emptied the rifle on the others. My buddy was on a ridge behind me and herd me shoot and saw wolves. Came down to help me skin it out. He ask me why I didn't shoot at the other wolves. I told him I emptied the rifle on them. He said you are full of it, you only shot once. Turns out I must have got wolf fever. I nailed the first one and jacked the gun empty without shooting. I was 14 and never saw a wolf except in a zoo. I took a beating from the older guys all week on that one.
    Ah, but you got a wolf!

Not many of us can say that anymore. Good shooting on the first one, and a kid can be excused for getting riled up and ejecting unfired cartridges.

Guy
    turbobug likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links